Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2003, 12:53 AM   #1
DoubleBass_Rob

A drum solo by me here, feedback wanted!

It's on my website.
http://www.robertbrens.com

I thought, who better to show this to, than a bunch of Virgil Donati freaks! Basically what happened was, I was doing a recording, and I had about 10 minutes to spare so I told the engineer to hit record, while I mucked around. It turned into a decent solo which is cool. Hope you enjoy.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:30 AM   #2
DeepThought

Real nice man! Obviously you had a lot of fun.. I really like the groove around the one minute mark or so.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:29 AM   #3
peter

Nice, Rob. I can tell you like Thomas.
Tell me about your double-stroked kicks.

Are you doing mostly double-strokes on
your hands for rolls?

Keep up the good work.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #4
Milo Porto
Executive Member

rob..i think you have to change your 10/ 8 inch tom head..its worn out man!! ........dont mind if i give me 2 cents on your solo....your planing of solos needs a bit of work...you were a bit unsteady on your strokes for rolls and double bass......just my opinion! on the whole it doesnt sound bad...so its a good thing...keep practicing dude!

www.myspace.com/brandonkhoo

http://www.mapexdrums.com/artists/S...io_Brandon.html

There's nothing for you to fight against, You're so unreal it's evident, You'll never be one of our kind
This ain't yours, **** you don't try, again we will rise! - lamb of god
Milo Porto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:01 PM   #5
BrettLee

Your solo reminds me of Virgil's playing.. Really.. Milo Porto, I think it's a nicely laid drumsolo.. Considering it's done from scratch, and not pre-planned at all. Nice footwork.. Excellent solo.. Keep it up!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:42 PM   #6
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettLee
Your solo reminds me of Virgil's playing.. Really.. Milo Porto, I think it's a nicely laid drumsolo.. Considering it's done from scratch, and not pre-planned at all. Nice footwork.. Excellent solo.. Keep it up!

There's nothing for you to fight against, You're so unreal it's evident, You'll never be one of our kind
Old 09-10-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
Milo Porto
Executive Member

BrettLee

hello ...our closest neighbour!!
didnt realize that you are malaysian.....which part of malaysia dude??

Old 09-11-2003, 02:03 AM   #8
DoubleBass_Rob

Yeah I had been recording and I was fairly worn out, 4 hours and it was fairly flat stick. Speaking of worn out, nice pick there Milo, all of my drum heads are totally wrecked, I just don't have the money to replace them right now. But thanks for the comments guys!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:55 AM   #9
quitou

I think its more important how you play than what you play...your heads may be a bit worn out, but if you still play well it'll sound good (and I thought you played very well in you solo, by the way...some very nice work!!!). I used to always blame equipment when I couldn't do something...oh, its gotta be the sticks, the pedals, bla, bla, bla...then one day I woke up and realized it was me, not the equipment...since I figured this out, my playing has gotten a lot better.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:51 AM   #10
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleBass_Rob
Yeah I had been recording and I was fairly worn out, 4 hours and it was fairly flat stick. Speaking of worn out, nice pick there Milo, all of my drum heads are totally wrecked, I just don't have the money to replace them right now. But thanks for the comments guys!

no worries...its nice to be part of such a nice forum with nice people/drummers here to help each other out...!!

Old 09-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #11
BrettLee

Quote:
Originally posted by Milo Porto
BrettLee

hello ...our closest neighbour!!
didnt realize that you are malaysian.....which part of malaysia dude??

Woah, Didn't realized you are a Singaporean as well! I'm from Subang, PJ.. Struggling with my drumming as always.. You guys in Spore are quite lucky, cos you've got mega store like Swee Lee to supply drumming goodies, unlike here!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:18 PM   #12
DoubleBass_Rob

Quote:
Originally posted by quitou
I used to always blame equipment when I couldn't do something...oh, its gotta be the sticks, the pedals, bla, bla, bla...then one day I woke up and realized it was me, not the equipment...since I figured this out, my playing has gotten a lot better.

Very very true, but with pedals, you really have to sit down and find what's most comfortable. Depending on how much you're able to muck around with settings. Same with heights and angles of toms and cymbals. But after that, it's all upto you. I tend to change it a bit, keep the setup fresh, I found flattening out the toms a bit more makes you work a bit more, but you get alot more power out of your drums.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:24 PM   #13
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Quote:
Woah, Didn't realized you are a Singaporean as well! I'm from Subang, PJ.. Struggling with my drumming as always.. You guys in Spore are quite lucky, cos you've got mega store like Swee Lee to supply drumming goodies, unlike here!

Swee Lee ??? my god!! its one of the worst store you can ever...ever work in or even be a customer in...everything they dont have!...the people at swee lee...at least at the bugis side, service qulity id say has NO standard!! if any of the forum members here intend to go to swee lee in singapore while here...!!! DONT you are wasting your money...!!

Old 09-12-2003, 01:38 AM   #14
BrettLee

Milo Porto, why izzit so? I've only heard of Swee Lee. Hmm, any other musical stores in Spore which is way better than them? Do they take international orders? Here in Malaysia, we are just stuck with two major stores, Bentley Music, and Combo Mix.. Both sell their stuff at very high price.. Aiiihh
Old 09-12-2003, 04:55 PM   #15
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Quote:
Milo Porto, why izzit so? I've only heard of Swee Lee. Hmm, any other musical stores in Spore which is way better than them? Do they take international orders? Here in Malaysia, we are just stuck with two major stores, Bentley Music, and Combo Mix.. Both sell their stuff at very high price.. Aiiihh

there is ranking sports...also situated at bras basar complex....which in my opinion..treats their paying customers like paying customers...swee lee judges you on how much stuff you buy!!!