Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Miscellaneous > For sale/trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
kaliwraith

S class pro or Delite?

I've been looking at a bunch of drum companies and decided on Sonor drums. I want to hear your opinions on them, and the differences between the s class pros and the delites. I'm not sure if $500 difference between them is worth it. Anyone know about these drums?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
C.J.

The exact diferences between
the S-Class and the Delites, I
do not know, but one thing you
should be aware of is that Sonors
are a pain in the ass to tune.

But once you've got past that,
you fall in love with them.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
drummaman1

Since when were Sonors a pain to tune???? The only ones I've had trouble with were alleviated when I replaced the drumheads.
The Delite (Designer-Lite) series is one step down from the Designer. It is competitively priced with Yamaha, Mapex, Pearl, DW, and most Sonor drummers are, or end up, playing a set at one time or another. The Designers are my fav...but REALLY expensive!!!

The S-Class is a step down from the Delite. Delite shells are 4ply maple with 3ply(?) maple reinforcement rings. S-Class is a straight 6-ply maple shell (I'm going from memory, please correct if not so) Sonically, I think they sound similar, with better hardware (marginally) on the Delite. I like the finishes more...on the S-Class! The Aqua Green set just looks wonderful in pics...I can only imagine what it looks like up close!

If youre a weekend warrior, you can't go wrong with S-Class. Plus, you can spend the $500 on a Designer snare, or Sonor Hardware, or cymbals...Paiste Dark Energy Ride! (if you play Paiste...)
You are not losing out on anything by settling for an S-Class vs. a Delite Kit. Both kits sound wonderful. In this case it's a comparison of apples and apples....red delicious vs. gold delicious.. Either way, its apples, and it's GOOD!
Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
cjcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummaman1
Since when were Sonors a pain to tune???? The only ones I've had trouble with were alleviated when I replaced the drumheads.
The Delite (Designer-Lite) series is one step down from the Designer. It is competitively priced with Yamaha, Mapex, Pearl, DW, and most Sonor drummers are, or end up, playing a set at one time or another. The Designers are my fav...but REALLY expensive!!!

The S-Class is a step down from the Delite. Delite shells are 4ply maple with 3ply(?) maple reinforcement rings. S-Class is a straight 6-ply maple shell (I'm going from memory, please correct if not so) Sonically, I think they sound similar, with better hardware (marginally) on the Delite. I like the finishes more...on the S-Class! The Aqua Green set just looks wonderful in pics...I can only imagine what it looks like up close!

If youre a weekend warrior, you can't go wrong with S-Class. Plus, you can spend the $500 on a Designer snare, or Sonor Hardware, or cymbals...Paiste Dark Energy Ride! (if you play Paiste...)
You are not losing out on anything by settling for an S-Class vs. a Delite Kit. Both kits sound wonderful. In this case it's a comparison of apples and apples....red delicious vs. gold delicious.. Either way, its apples, and it's GOOD!
Hope that helps. Good luck!

Do you have one? If so, is it a Mark I or a Mark II, and what size is it? I got the 22" Mark II. It's amazing.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
pcannon

Get the DELITES! $500 difference is a great deal!! Mine tune up easer than any of the other 15 or so kits I've owned! The control rings also work wonders!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
C.J.

Argh CJC !
My $&@%# logo !