Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Itchy_Scratchy

Question A Plea for help concerning a problem with drum solo's

I was recently told by the bass player, He is in his fifties and really good, that I need to play a solo in an upcoming performance. I would appriciate it if you guys could help me out by directing me to a solo that could either be kinda slow, a very fast tom solo, or something you guys use alot, but please, if its ok, tell me where to get these. I cant download videos.

I have been involved in a decent garage band for about 9 months, there's four of us, and ive been playing for 5 years, I am a young teen, but don't let that fool you. I would say that my skills are good enough to play almost any intermediate online lesson Ive found (exept double bass patterns).

I would be indescribeibly pleased if you guys could transfer some feedback from your drumming experiences, to my meager requisisionary forum. THanks and hope you had a joyous ChristmaHanaKwanzniKa

Last edited by Itchy_Scratchy : 01-04-2005 at 09:40 PM. Reason: parahraphs backward
Old 01-04-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy_Scratchy
I was recently told by the bass player, He is in his fifties and really good, that I need to play a solo in an upcoming performance. I would appriciate it if you guys could help me out by directing me to a solo that could either be kinda slow, a very fast tom solo, or something you guys use alot, but please, if its ok, tell me where to get these. I cant download videos.

I have been involved in a decent garage band for about 9 months, there's four of us, and ive been playing for 5 years, I am a young teen, but don't let that fool you. I would say that my skills are good enough to play almost any intermediate online lesson Ive found (exept double bass patterns).

I would be indescribeibly pleased if you guys could transfer some feedback from your drumming experiences, to my meager requisisionary forum. THanks and hope you had a joyous ChristmaHanaKwanzniKa

Hey itchy..... is it a solo within a song or just a segment featuring you..?

if its a solo with in a song..try to plan it out in terms of how many bars of solos spot you are given, make it either melodic or rhythmic it doesnt really have to be complicated in this case cos people are still grooving to the tempo of the song within your solo..work around the tempo and groove of the song and improvise from there...here is the moment that you can do what you wanna do but cant, cos while the song is going on there are lyrics melodies and patterns of the guit, bass / keys that you might not wanna screw up... less is more while the song is going on..BUT when its your time to solo..let go for that few bars you are given within the song to solo!

if it is just featuring you .....then you might just want to start slow and soft building your solo to a massive climax..!! or start with a big bang then bring it down soft and steady then bringing it to a massive climax!! compopse a drum solo like you would compose a song...... try to get the crowd to participate ..i.e. clap along or shout along... that would break the ice between you and the audience and make it more interesting..... the rest is up to you..!!

if you can go to...

www.drummerworld.com

you might just wanna check out a few ideas from there....

just my opinion.

www.myspace.com/brandonkhoo

http://www.mapexdrums.com/artists/S...io_Brandon.html

There's nothing for you to fight against, You're so unreal it's evident, You'll never be one of our kind
This ain't yours, **** you don't try, again we will rise! - lamb of god
Milo Porto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
Itchy_Scratchy

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the feedback, I really appriciate it. I dont know any drummers that are better than me(but thats not saying much) Anyway you guys are a great community of drummers, at least on the messageboards. Thanks again for helping me out.
Oh, and unfortunately drummerworld is down. And for future posters, it is a solo inside a song while just the base continues with me.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
alencore
Drum Therapist

when it comes to making your own drum solo you need some audio/video reference.
check out led zeppelin's M O B Y D I C K or this RUSH live album EXIT...STAGE LEFT. neil pear did a nice tasty drum solo there.
take some ideas from them and hopefully you create your own. Check out Buddy Rich as well, but don't copy his solos or i'll kill yah, haha, just kidding!
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Itchy_Scratchy

thanks but in what place on the interweb can i get these?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, I really appriciate it. I dont know any drummers that are better than me(but thats not saying much) Anyway you guys are a great community of drummers, at least on the messageboards. Thanks again for helping me out.
Oh, and unfortunately drummerworld is down. And for future posters, it is a solo inside a song while just the base continues with me.

then better still...work around the song and use the bass guitar as a pulse..dig out all your rudiments..i.e polyrhythmic stuff.....etc. make it melodic and make sure the bassist keeps the pulse so that you and him fall on the same pulse..!! good luck..!!

www.myspace.com/brandonkhoo

http://www.mapexdrums.com/artists/S...io_Brandon.html

There's nothing for you to fight against, You're so unreal it's evident, You'll never be one of our kind
This ain't yours, **** you don't try, again we will rise! - lamb of god
Milo Porto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
IronCobraMan

dont forget ur stick tricks... best part of a solo in my opinion .... throw em, twirl in.... bite them in half .... do it all
Old 01-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
alencore
Drum Therapist

Quote:
thanks but in what place on the interweb can i get these?

kazaa, imesh, emule, warezp2p etc etc....any peer to peer software will do. also hang out with older rock drummers/musicians like 30 to 60 years old and borrow thier led zep and rush cd's, vinyl or cassette tapes.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
drumzalicious

depends on what type of music your playing. you can check out some stuff on www.vicfirth.com in thier little artist videos for some stuff. check out akira jimbo for sure. unless you play death metal then i dont know what to tell ya.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:20 AM   #10
drummaman1

As mentioned before...Bonham's Moby **** and Peart's solos....on ANY of the live albums..is a good place to start. You can check out pacing, phrasing, how they interweave the sections, tension and release.
Also check out Simon Philips, Mike Portnoy (very good musical solos) Steve Smith, Dave Weckl, and some of the old school cats like Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson (I hope I'm playing HALF as well as he is when I'm his age!) Bill Stewart, Jack DeJohnette, and of course Tony Williams and Elvin Jones (RIP) There are a lot of places you can go to, on the "internets" to check out these drummers. Drummerworld.com is great, but it's down right now...
Usually it's best to have some things "pre-planned" so you don't go 'flying blind', if you've never done so. Playing the melody of the song you're soloing over (the rhythms, anyway) helps to tie the solo into the song, and makes it part of the song.
Don't plan everything you're going to play; there's something to be said about discovering something new while you're not 'consciously' thinking about it, that takes the solo, and your playing, to a higher level.
Most of all have fun! Don't make it a 'brain fest'. Let your emotions run free for a little.
Oh, and you can twirl your sticks for added effect, but they don't pay us more for that sort of thing, so I dont care for it. Music is key. Make music, and again, have fun!
Peace!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
Itchy_Scratchy

Smile

Thanks for All Your help in this matter that has come to my attention. I would hope that some day, when I am not living with my partents... that I will be helping out aspireing drummers with my hard earned wisdom.
YOu guys are a real encouagement, and though you are probably very concerned about my mental heath, you people have been a real incouragement to me.
Sorry for the bad english, I have just learned it you see