Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Music and Everything Else
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
ND Drummer

Triggers?

What exactly are drum triggers? I've read lots of articles in modern drummer about bass drum triggering and such but dont really know what they are?
Im assuming its a some sort of microphone or sensor when stimulated will modify the acoustic sound to include some sort of electronic sound from a computer drum machine etc.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
morgenthaler
Administrator

Right on!
Thats what it is!

Many different kinds are on the market, I think the most popular ones still are "DDRUM" triggers. I am NOT a fan of triggering. Not at all.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
ND Drummer

I think its kind of cheating personally but, could be fun to mess around with!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Thunderboom

There are wires with tips that you can stick on your drumhead and it will trigger the module and make the sound you program. I would prefer single drum pad triggers myself considering I don't like to modify my acoustic sound in performance but it is a cheap and efficient way to add on an electronic sound to your set.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
IronCobraMan

FUK TRIGGERS...their for pussies.... work on ur power u lazy bastards..... the human body can do anything if its pushed hard enuf to do it... power can be applied even at 250 bpm.... jus takes alot of practice
Old 01-07-2005, 06:03 AM   #6
drummaman1

triggers are an aspect of drums, something to incorporate electronics into your acoustic playing (which I'm currently pursuing). Be that as it may, there is no substitute for solid practicing...if anything, triggers will make you sound worse if you don't have adequate control of the acoustic instrument to begin with.

If you dont need 'em, don't buy 'em. But don't buy 'em thinking that you will sound like a million bucks with 'em, cause you won't. Studio engineers like them to give the BD the extra punch, especially when you play DB really fast and he wants to throw some attack in there. It gives it articulation. In the end, it benefits studio eingineers more than it would us, make their job easier...as easy as it can be being a studio engineer.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
D.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobraMan
FUK TRIGGERS...their for pussies.... work on ur power u lazy bastards..... the human body can do anything if its pushed hard enuf to do it... power can be applied even at 250 bpm.... jus takes alot of practice

didnt your demo tune(tunes)....have triggers?..........YOU *****!......lmao..j/k
Old 01-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #8
IronCobraMan

yes they did and u know something..... my band had it done behind my back... when i did the tracks i said..... no triggers.....and then the engineer said...lets put em on just incase.... and i come back...and the finished product is.... u guessed it... TRIGGERED

fukin morons
Old 01-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
RTQN

Yea I use triggers for extra amplification. When I play live I use both acoustic mics and triggers.Ive been complemented on being heavy. Personally I dont see how they make you lazy. When I practice by myself I dont use them . Just in high volume situations.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
RTQN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobraMan
yes they did and u know something..... my band had it done behind my back... when i did the tracks i said..... no triggers.....and then the engineer said...lets put em on just incase.... and i come back...and the finished product is.... u guessed it... TRIGGERED

fukin morons

Whats the name of your band, and do you have any materail I could listen to?