Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2003, 01:22 PM   #1
8===8

death metal drumming

i'm not a drummer so i would like to ask you a question:
is death/thrash metal drumming so difficult as it sometimes sounds?You listen to it and think that sometimes the guy blasts the hell out of him. But perhaps most of the time it's not something exceptional, it's just fast 4/4. What do you think?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
Fede

When it comes to deathmetal and thrash you need to be able to tell good metal from bad metal.

I'm generally not the biggest fan of burst-/blastbeats, though it really depends on who's playing it. Sometimes it's more noisy and tiring than at other times. I think it depends very much on how well played it is. If it's 100% tight and the sound makes it possible to hear what's going on, I can sometimes enjoy - something I once thought impossible.

Right now there are only three people in the world I can think of that can play burstbeats the way I like'em:

Danish drummer Reno Killerich whom can be heard on "Exmortem: Berzerker Legions" and two PanzerChrist albums. (220-260 BPM, 100% tight)

American legend Derek Roddy from Malevolent Creation, Divine Empire and now Hate Eternal (220-260 BPM, 99.9% tight)

Swedish drummer Peter Weiner whom I only know from a Swedish band called Luciferion with an album called "The Manifest" (I think)

Oh, and then the one and only Gene Hoglan has been doing some semi-blasting on the latest "Strapping Young Lad" albums (Devin Townsend-based project) which sounds cool, but not as fast as "real" blastbeats...

But still, it's a bit of a weird way to spend your drumming time... I can't stop wondering what incredible uses this amazing skill could be put to. How on Earth do you train yourself up to start and to play burstbeats at 250 BPM at will, 100% convincing???

Especially thrash drumming can be extremely difficult. Check out stuff like:

Death - Symbolic (Gene Hoglan, 1995)
Death - The Sound of Persavearance (Richard Christy, 1998)
Meshuggah - Destroy, Erase, Improve (Thomas Haake, 1995)
Dim Mak - Enter the Dragon (Brandon Thomas, 1999)

These are good examples of very difficult and well-performed thrash / metal and not just fast 4/4 (and great albums besides, IMO).
Old 08-18-2003, 02:50 PM   #3
jimi

Amazing control and stamina is all i can say because i dont have any death metal albums. I know someone who plays the stuff and he's very good within that idiom.
i'll try check out some of the albums you mentioned fede.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:31 AM   #4
STAVROPOULOS

hello all!!
hey 8!i used to listen fanatically to extreme metal 3 years ago.now i have collected some nice bands that play very cool songs!i agree with fede's opinion about the tightness of the idiom!the only thing i have to add,is that you can also check:
mayhem-a grand declaration of war
the albums of lock-up and nile-in their darkened shrines.the death albums do not have blastbeats,but the guys who play there,really go crazy!and of course,if you will try to play those things it'll surely be difficult,cause u will have to reach that speed!
see you 8!
Old 08-21-2003, 04:43 AM   #5
alencore
Drum Therapist

One of my favorite although not so death metal driven band is Death Angel. Check out Discontinued or The Ultra Violence, hehe one heck of song title ah.? I heard Mike Portnoy played on some death metal bands before joining or forming DT. He seems quite thankful since he got to develop his double bass chops on those bands.

Pantera is so heavy as well since they seems to be the pioneer of that death vox style or whatever.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
Adam

IMO any death metal that is NOT from some Scandinavian country sucks....those guys can do some pretty big damage with the double kicks.

I personally don't like Death Metal or Thrash metal at all. I'm impressed at the speed those guys can dish out, but it gets boring for me.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:27 AM   #7
quitou

My opinion,
I don't think what they play is anything complicated, but it is just incredibly fast (for example Slayer music). You could say the same thing for a Virg song like Dog Boots...I don't think it's anything complicated (actually in terms of the rhythms, it is quite straight forward), but what makes it hard is the speed...trying to hold doubles at 200BPM for 4 minutes or however long the song is...So if you can play really, really fast, speed metal drumming shouldn't be a problem...if you're not too fast, then it would be very difficult to play beacause of the speed and the length of time the speed has to be sustained...

With than in mind, I 've always had the view that being able to play fast for long periods of time and at loud volumes (ie. Speed meatl drumming) is as much a skill as anything else you try to develop. It takes time and patience to develop speed and endurance, the same way it would to learn how to play jazz rhythms, or develop soloing over an ostinato, playing in odd times, etc.

So while I think it is not very hard rhythmically, I still have alot of respect for some speed metal drummers (not all), but definitely for a guy like Dave Lombardo, etc.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:34 AM   #8
quitou

After reading Fede's cmment above, my response above was my opinion from speed music that I've heard. I haven't heard any of the music Fede mentioned above, so I could hardly acuurately state whether it's complicated to play. Most of the speed metal/thrash stuff I've heard is just the fast 4/4 stuff, so that is what my opinion above was based on...I'm gonna have to check out some of the music Fede recommended.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #9
alencore
Drum Therapist

well for one thing i don't understand a word these death metal bands are quacking about, lol.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:07 AM   #10
v1rotate

Quote:
Meshuggah - Destroy, Erase, Improve (Thomas Haake, 1995)

Yes, that's a good album, very tight and interesting rhythms too.

I've got a couple of albums by Fear Factory but somehow I believe that some of the double bass work is sequenced, it just seems too tight and too fast to be real but I may be wrong. It sounds like a machine gun than a bass drum!!!

Playing fast is one thing that can get boring after awhile however I am really into the rhythms that some of these thrash bands come up with. Dave Lombardo (Slayer) was the first drummer that really impressed me with the speed of his feet (singles). He actually has two big fans behind his ankles to stop them cramping up when playing (obviously a heel up player).
Old 08-28-2003, 02:51 PM   #11
Fede

The last Fear Factory album "DigiMortal" has bassdrums that sound very quantized, yes. I do not have a clue as to why they chose to do that. I heard them play some of the songs off that album live here in Copenhagen, even some of the fastest stuff on that album, and he (Raymond) could play it without any real trouble.....don't get it.

He's got amazing feet, but that's about it. Has got the hands of a 2 year old.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:01 AM   #12
v1rotate

Fede,

The album I had in mind was the "Obsolete" album with very sequenced sounding bass drums. Not sure how you could go about quantitizing a recorded bass drum from a mike though?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:43 AM   #13
drummer344

Thumbs up i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8===8
i'm not a drummer so i would like to ask you a question:
is death/thrash metal drumming so difficult as it sometimes sounds?You listen to it and think that sometimes the guy blasts the hell out of him. But perhaps most of the time it's not something exceptional, it's just fast 4/4. What do you think?

ya my cuz is a wicke drummer and all he does is play 4/4 fast
Old 03-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #14
mtgarrett

Check out Epitaph by Necrophagist; in addition to speed, he's (drummer Hannes Grossman) got some real interesting stuff going on.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #15
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
i used to be a hardcore slayer fan and i can tell u that dave lombardo is a very good drummer. he's shown some impressive stuff on some slayer albums but his most impressive stuff ive heard from him was the vivaldi tribute album "vivaldi: the meeting" which i love that i own!

good stuff..but i havent been a death metal fan since 8th grade..
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote