Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
PHILadiddle

Holy Crap!!1 Steve Smith is way better then i thought!!

I've always considered him to one of the greats but never in the catagory i put virgil donati, thomas lang, vinnie coulita in. But oh man, i just steve smith and victor wooten at the drum collective 25th anniversary, he is AMAZING. I find he's more of a finese player, I really like his style.

edit - just got to the part where he bounces one stick with the other on the high hat, an old simple trick but he makes it look cool. he changes his stick between different fingers while keeping it going, it looks cooler then it sounds. I wish i could upload a clip.

Last edited by PHILadiddle : 10-13-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:10 AM   #2
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
yes yes, steve smith is the man! try going to www.vicfirth.com and checking out his videos.
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:31 AM   #3
stapper15

i saw Vinnie Colauita last night on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, he was playing with Queen Latifah
Old 10-14-2004, 04:44 AM   #4
ataraxia

he completely blew me away when i saw him in london a few weeks back. he could only play for about half an hour, but that was enough to convert me. is his dvd worth getting? it's between getting that or thomas lang's. any advice?
ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:42 AM   #5
jonberg

Send a message via MSN to jonberg
Donīt buy Thomas Langs DVD, check out Steve Smith instead. Thatīs my opinion.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
D. Slam

Send a message via AIM to D. Slam
I've seen Steve Smith several times with his band "Vital Information". He is not only a finesse player. The man can totally slam out some hard grooves! The guy played on Jon Luc Ponty's "Enigamatic Ocean" for goodness sake. Steve can REALLY play! He's NOT joking. I have that Drummers Collective DVD by the way. His new DVD release is very informative; "The history of the american beat" I think it's called. Like Virgil, Steve has sat down and worked it all out. There is MUCH to be learned from studying him.

D.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:44 PM   #7
drummaman1

Steve Smith is a great player, and his band Vital Information, is one of the most celebrated and popular "jazz-fusion-funk-what-have-you" groups around today. I have both Steve Smith and Thomas Lang DVDs. Steve delves into styles, metric modulation (playing a pulse or beat and then going to into different modulations of that beat) heel-toe bass drum playing, and his lesson about Moeller technique is alone worth the price of the DVD (it gets real in-depth with how each hand looks when executing the Moeller stroke and its range of motion). It's great to have if you need ideas, if your stuck playing a few things the same way, to get out of a playing rut.

The Thomas Lang DVD is also very good. There is so much, over 5 hrs! worth, of information, extras, performances. He is pushing the boundaries of what a human can accomplish on the drumset. Most of the things he plays are relatively easy, but sound extremely difficult cause he plays them SO FAST!!! His double bass is something to behold. The excellent thing about Thomas is with all the technique he has, he never lets it cloud him or get the best of him when he's hired to just GROOVE, even though looking at this DVD you may think otherwise. He's just another one of us working stiffs, like Virgil, Vinnie, Terry, Mangini, Weckl, Gadd, Smith, Nussbaum, DeJohnette...just guys that play drums....

As for which to buy first, go with the Smith. Then the Lang. Have fun. Learn all that stuff, get frustrated, then belt out beat like Dave Grohl, call it a night.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #8
ataraxia

great, thanks. History of the American Beat it is then!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #9
PHILadiddle

ya, i've seen the steve smith dvd and it's worth getting for sure. haven't seen the thomas lang one yet so i can't compare. i wanna get it soon.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:17 AM   #10
alencore
Drum Therapist

hehe, working stiff.

forget the drums for awhile and let's go out for a nice mt. bike ride in god's country. all you have to do is pedal and enjoy the sorroundings you have near by. no worries and just let go. it's the same way when we paly drums ahh.

btw - Steve Smith rule!!!
Old 10-17-2004, 02:57 AM   #11
Fatcontroller

I saw Steve Smith in London recently and have been a big fan of his for a while now. However, I do not believe in comparing him and Thomas Lang as they both have a different style and approach.

I saw both of them recently on the same bill, Thomas on a saturday and Steve Smith on the sunday. I also then went to another 3 Thomas Lang clinics.

Steve Smith has the very smooth flowing technique where he doesn't hit the drums hard, just as much as he needs to and in doing this can create some nice sounds. But Thomas Lang just blew him away. Not that I think he is better, as I said I just don't think you can compare them.

I think that deciding which one's dvd to buy is like deciding how you want to play. Both are different in many, many ways.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:59 AM   #12
ataraxia

fatcontroller, i take it you went to drummer live then? i could only make the sunday, which was pretty good in itself. what did you make of the others? jimmy degrasso was awesome, nicko mcbrain was a dissappointment for me to be honest. steve smith was amazing, but i wished he could have played for longer.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #13
(K)now(F)orever

I think the Thomas Lang dvd has alot more information and idea's compared to the Steve Smith dvd, but both are worth checking out.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #14
D. Slam

Send a message via AIM to D. Slam
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K)now(F)orever
I think the Thomas Lang dvd has alot more information and idea's compared to the Steve Smith dvd, but both are worth checking out.

Yes, from the physical playing aspect I agree. Steve offers a veiw that few of us ever look at though. The theory and possible meaning behind it all.

I feel that younger players need to explore this side of the art more.

I think both are good videos though.

Don.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:56 PM   #15
Johnny

Keep in mind that Steve can slam if he wants to. He just doesn't really want to