Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
Ralph

Question Injury Prevention/Take Care Of Injury

I'm curious if anyone out there knows how to stay limber while playing fairly loud with their feet. Since i have started playing some 40 years ago i have had pain in my right side when playing with my toe or heel up as they say. The pain comes from under my leg into my groin up to my buttocks and also near the inside of my stomach/psoas muscle/hip flexor. Bassically, i can't practice anymore and have to do a lot of stretchs every time before and after playing to not be in pain for more than a couple of days. I wonder a number of things should i get stronger in my legs, or change something in my playing techinque? I work out 5 days a week and stretch everyday now which has helped but i'm not able to beat this so far and cannot practice anymore. All ideas welcome.

Mabye there is a regime Virgil goes through that someone is aware of that i could try. I saw somewhere where he was doing the splits so obviously he is very limber.

BTW, if any one is interested my bands site is at

www.realitycheckband.com you can hear tunes i wrote there in MP3 format as well as in MIDI. I'm not the only writer in the band ; ) So if you like anything there you can contact us at the link that says contact. Thanks for your time
Old 10-07-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
alencore
Drum Therapist

have you tried fasting? giving our inner organs some rest will do wonders.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
Ralph

Well, i am more limber when my body has hardly any food in it. I have tried new diets being a vegitarian etc.. i'm acutally the helathiest i have ever been right now. i tried fasting about 15 years ago, it didn't really help this problem. Thanks for the idea though
Old 10-07-2004, 10:33 AM   #4
Johnny

Gotta be a technical issue.
How high do you sit?
Old 10-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
drummaman1

take care of injury

also check out how you sit, as well as how high. When you play heel up on your right foot, do you feel like you're subconciously shifting your body weight on to that foot? Maybe a lesson with a drum teacher may help...you can sit at the kit and play, and he/she can give you an accurate assessment of how you sit on the drum seat, if you lean over the drums, if you're hunched over, etc. It doesn't have to be a drum teacher...ask a fellow drummer to watch you (or better yet videotape you!) playing, and check the results. If you're doing everything correctly (seat height, posture) then maybe an appointment with a physical therapist or chiropractor may help. I actually have an appt. for my left hand...I've been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome, but my career (not to mention my wallet!) can't handle surgery, and I think I can avoid it completely.

I hope this helps.
Take care,
Chris
Old 10-07-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
Ralph

In the last year i have started sitting higher that does help quite a bit, but i still have trouble if i play hard and for a long time. If i do any kinda of ska figure or four on the floor blues or whatever through a whole tune then i'm pretty much skrewed. Most of the time it does not hurt that much while playing but afterwards is the problem. i have found if i do certain streches after playing i heal faster so that is good. Thanks for your comments. I don' t have the dough to see a therpist either but maybe the Video tape idea would be possible. I did have a physical therpist see me years ago play. but she didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but i don't think she knew what to look for.

Has anyone ever played on the "Drumframe" That seemed like that might help if it didn't cost so much?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:04 AM   #7
C.J.

It sounds like a physical issue to me... I guess you hqve alredy done so, but, have you thought about seeing a doctor ?
Old 10-08-2004, 06:09 AM   #8
Johnny

How high do you raise your heel/leg, and do you bury the beater?
Old 10-14-2004, 02:38 PM   #9
Ralph

Some times i bury the beater. Actually, i feel more stable if i do bury the beater, but mostly i don't. Actually, it seems since i have been sitting higher that on Sambas or something where there is a consitant pattern on the foot the beater is now resting against the head, which i don't really like, but that is what is happening. ; ) I'm not compleatly sure how high my heel is but it's farily high.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

I've never tried it with my feet, but every morning, b/c I have tendonitis, I run my wrists under hot water... so maybe you should do the same with your ankles....(?)
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:44 AM   #11
alencore
Drum Therapist

you need more time to recover from that injury or it will only get worst.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:28 AM   #12
Jeki

Hi!
Try not to bury the beater beacause the pedal itself want's to go back and by burying the beater you're just not leting it do so.Try aplying the free stroke with your feet as you would do with your hands.It might help.
I had a problem with my hands. Sometimes when i played and was afraid of the stick falling out of my heands I gripped them tight and after a wile my thumbs started hurting, wery, wery much. As soon as I aplied the free stroke the pain started to go away, but somethimes when I play traditional grip my left thumb starts hurting again. Any ideas?
I hope I helped & I'm sorry about the spelling