Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Music and Everything Else
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
richcapo

Most technically advanced guitarists

Just wondering whom you would consider to be the most technical guitarist(s) around.

By far, I'd have to give the number one spot to Stanley Jordan ... no one has as much technique as he does. Even uber-chopsmen like Steve Morse look up to Jordan. How can you beat a man who can play ANYTHING anyone else can in his right hand ... while comping out impossibly complex bass and chord figures in his left hand (or vice versa)?

I'd give the number two slot to Robert Fripp -- when that man pulls out his technique ... it's astounding! He's been playing faster, more adventurous and far more complex leads than modern dudes like Yngwie, Vai and anyone else since the late 60s. Amazing. And, save for two-handed stuff like Jordan's music, which I have never seen him attempt, he is a virtuoso within any genre he chooses to play: Classical, jazz, prog, rock, etc.

As for number three? I don't know ... I'd probably give it to some classical superstar like Lyonna Boyd. She's got more chops than a butcher.

How about you?

Thanks,

_Richard
Old 09-29-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
SunDemon18

jason becker... there is none better ever hes like the buddy rich of drums or was... maybe one day we will see his excellence again
Old 09-29-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
alencore
Drum Therapist

eric johnson! my man on the guitar!
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Rhandulopez

Allan holdsworth is the man !
No more coments

www.rhandulopez.com
Old 09-29-2004, 11:22 PM   #5
jagdkommando

for me it's steve vai ... but I'm not a guitarrist
Old 09-30-2004, 02:07 AM   #6
skin snapper

I play guitar as a second instrument....

I consider steve vai to be very technically advanced, he has an amazing understanding of how a guitar works, how to get the sounds he wants and man, can he shred some strings....

I quite like ywngie just because i reckon his style is darned cool, like u know, he just sounds good

SATCH IS GOD, i love satch's stuff, he's amazing, he just controls the sound waves instead of the strings

Tony Iommi, from black sabbath, you can't not love him
Old 09-30-2004, 05:00 AM   #7
DanBritt

Richard,

Nice call on Stanley! ... I have a list toward the top of my homepage that describes my favorite guitarist and Stanley is first! The man is amazing, and the depth of his emotional playing is huge!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:17 AM   #8
Matthias

I love john petrucci, and since I'm a drummer too and I don't know too much about guitars, the first who comes to my mind is simon hosford, know him just from OTV, but those guitars sound great!!
Matthias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #9
morgenthaler
Administrator

In their prime, guitarists like John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola were technically stunning!
McLaughlin still is in in my ears!
Old 09-30-2004, 06:25 AM   #10
jimi

Paco de Lucia is another name to mention!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:08 AM   #11
richcapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi
Paco de Lucia is another name to mention!

Paco, John McG, Al Dimeola, etc. ... all those guys are great, but I don't think even their most complicated stuff comes anywhere near as being as technically advanced as, say, "Fracture" by Robert Fripp or any random song by Stanley Jordan.

Just wondering ... how many people on this board are actually familiar with Jordan's music and technique?

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Jordan can play ANYTHING any of the other guitarists in this thread play in one hand, while comping incredible bass and chord progressions in the other. He's that good. And I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to assume that none of those other guitarists can play even the most simple song by Jordan.

(TANGETAL NOTE: Occassionally, Jordan even plays two guitars at once, if you can imagine it.)

_Richard
Old 09-30-2004, 08:40 AM   #12
Rany

I totally agree with Rhandulopez: Holdsworth is the man!
Beside its incredible technique, his compositions are usually complex in a rhythmic sense, what makes them specially interesting for drummers

Recently, Ive read a Virgil interview in Modern Drummer Brasil, where he mentions his interest to play with Holdsworth sometime in the future. Hope it happens!

Rany
Old 09-30-2004, 10:05 AM   #13
jimi

Hmmm, Stanley Jordan, must definitely check him out!! Is he just as musical though with his insane ablility??
Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 AM   #14
richcapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi
Hmmm, Stanley Jordan, must definitely check him out!! Is he just as musical though with his insane ablility??

He plays very traditional jazz, mostly (there's a pop-fusion album out, but it's not good). Live, he is, perhaps, the best musician I have ever seen. If you don't like traditional jazz, however, you might find his albums boring.

I recommend these albums: "Magic Touch" and "Stolen Moments" (Live).

I more strongly recommend seeing the man live ... it's darn near a religious experience.

_Richard
Old 09-30-2004, 11:19 AM   #15
C.J.

I really listen to guitarists, And the guys who are really advanced in my opnion (and my guitarist's friend too actually) would be Tony McAlpine, Steve Vai, John Petrucci (I would say he's the Donati of the guitar), Stanley Jordan, Mattias 'IA' Eklundh and Yngwie J. Malmsteen.