Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Music and Everything Else
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2004, 07:31 AM   #1
richcapo

Difficult Drum Songs to Play

Hi, all!

I haven't played drums in a long while ... but here are some songs that I have always felt are difficult to play. I'm interested in seeing what you guys think about my picks, and what your own are. I'm leaving drum solos out of this thread.

I hope I'm not revealing my naivete and the limits of my knowledge/ability on drumming here (I could never play these songs), but here I go, nonetheless ...

Bill Bruford: Heart of the Sunrise (Yes), Fracture, Frame By Frame, Indiscipline (King Crimson)

Neil Peart: Scars, Test For Echo, La Villa Strangiato, Lock and Key, Losing It, Red Lenses, Tai Shan, High Water, The Weapon, Permanent Waves, Between the Wheels (all Rush), Guns (Rheostatics)

Tony Mastelotto: The ConstruKction of Light (King Crimson)

Ian Wallace: 21st Century Schizoid Man, Sailor's Tail (King Crimson)

Stewart Copeland: Regatta de Blanc (Police)

Danny Carey: Ticks and Leeches, Hooker with a Penis (Tool)

Narada Michael Walden: Head for Backstage Pass (Jeff Beck)

Billy Cobham: Anything off "Birds of Fire" (Mahavishnu Orchestra)

It'd be cool to get your comments on my picks, your own picks, and what you would list as the most difficult songs by the artists I list above.

Thanks!

_Richard

Last edited by richcapo : 10-01-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
scott h

Vinnie: Keep It Greasy (Frank Zappa).
Not only is the hardest groove part in 19/16, it's also stupidly syncopated, and really difficult to lock in with the bass. And Vinnie makes it Funky!