Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #1
Adam

Moeller method

Does anybody know if Virgil uses this? And what are your thoughts on this method? Apparently a lot of the "greats" of the swing era used it (including Buddy Rich, or at least he used it on occasion). not a lot of drummers know about this from what I've heard. Also the middle finger fulcrum isn't too popular amongst drummers I've talked to either. Any thoughts?

PS: I may not make sense today as I'm sick and tired and have been drumming all day and need sleep.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #2
peter

I'm not sure about the Moeller method,
Adam or if Buddy used it.

I use the middle finger fulcrum. Tony
used it. Steve uses it. Try the question
at Boomer's. There will be a lot of action
on it, I'm sure.

I have talked about this a lot, there.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
alencore
Drum Therapist

Ahh...plz re-enlighten me on this guys. What the heck is that Moeller technique?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
peter

Check this out, guys:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/d...omfamularo.html

There are good clips here and both of these guys (Famularo and Chapin) are great players.

By the way, Steve Smith uses the Moeller Technique.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
candyman

A lot of drummers use the Moeller method. They have studied with Freddie Gruber. Some of the more popular guys are Peart,Weckl,Weinberg. A lot of guys probably use it but don't even know it. Just imagine yourself using a whip and that same motion is what your hands are doing along with letting the stick bounce back immediately on its own.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:31 AM   #6
alencore
Drum Therapist

I think I've read about this on some Modern Drummers mags. So using a fulcrum and finger control for more speed. I think that Back To Basic vid of D.Weckl shows it all when he played those fast single strokes, anyone agree?
Old 08-09-2003, 06:12 AM   #7
candyman

Well Weckl changed his concept from back to Basics. If you see his new videos he explains that and goes through the Moeller approach with Freddie Gruber.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:50 AM   #8
alencore
Drum Therapist

Yeah the newer videos are quite amazing but my mentor only showed me some parts of it. Guess I'll have to check the whole vids.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #9
Me.2

The moellor is an accenting technique you're going basically for 3 notes from ONE stroke..... Down ..tap... up.... As far as i understand the teaching method of it. Though there are variations on it. (2 notes/4 notes)

Look at any steve gadd/steve smith/David garabaldi/Joe morello/jeff porcaro/vinnie colaiuta and obviously Jim chapin video to see the whipping action in motion.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
rkettner

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alencore
Ahh...plz re-enlighten me on this guys. What the heck is that Moeller technique?

What is the Moeller Method?

This amazing method was created by a man named Sanford A. Moeller. It is believed that he learned the method by observing Civil War drummers in the 1800s. He later taught the system to Jim Chapin - who went on to make the method famous.

Essentially, the "system" combines a variety of techniques that allow for improved hand speed, power, and control - while offering the flexibility to add accented notes at will. Better still, it takes significantly less effort, and has less risk of injury when compared to virtually any other method!

Information grabbed from Mike Michalkow's Moeller Method DVD website.