Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
DerNeue

A question about Virgil!

On the Modern Drummer Festival '97 his feet are flaring out, so that his feet are not really forming a straight line. They are angled out.

What is the reason for that?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
alencore
Drum Therapist

well, i saw the vid. imo, he has a strong ankle action almost the way we used our wrist on faster strokes.

angled out? i think thats simply his natural position since most ppl walk in an angled fashion outward.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:36 AM   #3
DerNeue

This is probably right but you can also position the pedals angled out so that they fit better to your natural flaring, or not?!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:29 AM   #4
jimi

I dont turn the pedals too much because it helps keep a good responsive left foot pedal if the shaft is straighter. Also Virgils feet dont flare out that much, it is a combination of the bass drum facing straight out to the audience, and also the angle of your legs when you sit at the kit. that make sense?
Old 08-14-2004, 05:55 AM   #5
alencore
Drum Therapist

yeah virg has a slightly angled left pedal. on the steve vai dvd he has two bass drums but still uses the double pedal as it showed during his solo. so i wonder since a direct feel of a second bass drum is much better.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #6
DerNeue

You mean he did not actually use the second bassdrum?
That is interesting. I was under the impression that it is much more comfortable to have both pedals in line with the feet and the knees. So that you create no stress upon the limbs and bone structures. I also tried it myself and I felt much more control for myself when I had it set up that way and not like Virgil does it.
Well I am no premium member. Perhaps this membership would enlighten us toward this problem.
I considered signing up for a one month premium membership because I think the price is resonable, if the lessons are that good as it has been told many times.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
jimi

Do sign up!!
I dont find it necessarily more comfortable if the foot board is under my heel. Try it out, its not about what "supposed" to be right, it should be whatever feels good and works well. (as in if you get pain in your hands you should question your grip etc.)
Old 08-16-2004, 12:25 AM   #8
DerNeue

Thanks I will. But I go on vacation today for two weeks. I can access the internet from over there but it would not really be of any very goog use to me as I only can have access from a little web-cafe. But when I come back I will sign up!
Old 08-16-2004, 03:32 AM   #9
jimi

Oh yeah about Virgil not using the second bass drum, Vai asked him to have the bass drum there as he likes the look of the kit with two BDs.
See you in the Premium forums soon DerNeue!