Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
Adam

Dave Weckl

It'd been a while since I put one of his CD's in, but I did so this morning during my morning run and I was completely re-blown away by him. He just seems to have SO much control over what he's doing and his linear patterns are insane! I heard Virgil took some classes that Weckl was teaching (this might not be true but my drum teacher told me this) and I wonder if Weckl is one of Virgil's biggest influences...anyone know? I also heard Matt Cameron from Pearl Jam/Sound Garden was a big influence. I found that funny because of how much better Virgil is (I still like matt's style though)
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
kirk

Alot of these guy's have sat down and given eachother tips. Virg has done it, given tips to Mangini(the feet) with Marco, Simon etc. I am sure with Weckl also, seeing that Weckl has stated How he cannot believe HOW! good Virg is. and vice versa. They are pretty humble guy's. And Virg is influenced by MANY guy's. Not neccessarily the drums always but the style of music, the attitude, as is the case with Cameron and Pearl Jam, or Zeppelin etc.

Kirk
Old 06-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
alencore
Drum Therapist

i totally agree to kirk. these awesome guys will trade lots of drum talks and techniques once they get the chance to hang out and woodshed. the fact they are aggressive for new drum knowledge and that very fine sense of comradarie among drummers is truely a fine display of humbleness and selflessness amongts us all, DRUMMERS even you're just a weekend warrior or a full blast professional. it's simply sweet.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

lars ulrich

Last edited by MaltBuddow3 : 02-12-2013 at 10:49 PM.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #5
alencore
Drum Therapist

Well , for me the first time i saw dave was with chick corea's electric band on this lunch time top 40 music videos as the credits roll playing Light Years. i wasn't playing drums then and only listen to new wave and some heavy metal stuff well, it was the late 80's eh but wow this band looks so darn high class...and the drummer plays in this marching band grip which really looked cool for me even way back then. finally i got to buy dave's first solo album...MASTER PLAN...WOOOOWWW!!! I was really hungry for drums chops and technical fusion music and Dave's solo album my god satisfied my quench for it. He was indeed a Tower Of Inspiration for my young drum butt way back...LOL!...seriously he was one of the cats that made me play drums the way i wanted.

Things even got better as one drum student of mine lended me a copy of Dave's second drum intructional vid, "The Next Step". Of course it BLEW me even further seeing him play in this very raw up your face setting. I learned from Dave that highly abused triplet drum lick popularized by Bonzo. I simply learned a lot from this man, tnx dave.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote