Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
Adam

Mangini vs Donati

Which of these guys is better??? I mean strictly technique. I haven't heard enough of Mangini to really decide. Virgil's drumming looks and feels more impressive to me, but I'm not sure why.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
peter

Mangini is a marvelous technician. So is Virgil.

What separates them are their musical ideas.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
kirk

Well said Peter. Technically they and a VERY! few others are the cream of the crop so to speak. But their musical ideas are vastly different. I much prefer Virgil when it comes to the musical/creative side. His depth is astounding! I prefer Virgil's feel/touch much more also. But they are both Monsters of the monsters if you know what I mean.

Kirk
Old 06-28-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
bootdogs

Oh please, not another thread like this!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
kirk

I think that in terms of technique the question can be asked. Technique is definable. But what we like as far as what is created, will always be what we like we can go around in circles. We can discuss without freaking out about it, hopefully. Adam did not say who is THE better drummer( including all the undeterminable variables), he said technically how do they match up. It is cool. There is no doubt that technically Virg and Mike are at the TOP!!!!! and both great guy's to boot.

Kirk
Old 06-28-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Cesar

I prefer Mangini! I love Virgil but Mike man, this guy is way more technical, in my opinion! If Mangini is doing what he is doing at such an early age, imagen where he will get whens his Virgils age??? Honestly, I love Virgil but Mangini is ,in my opinion,the best!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:35 PM   #7
D.W.A.

mangini is great...that whole flight of the bumblebee(dont think that was the exact name), awesome with the toms. Virg is still king of the kicks though...and thats my main intrest(for now)
Old 06-28-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
peter

The 'better' word is a 'bad' word, once again.
They are here and now and with something to
say to us. Let's hear what that is.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:48 PM   #9
quitou

both guys are amazing....technically, they are both so advanced it is impossible to say who has more technical ability....who you like depends on whose style you prefer...even though both Mike and Virg play a very progressive style of drums, they do it very differently and apply their ideas very differently from one another....so who's better??? I really don't think either one is better than the other, both are absolutley amazing players, and it's just a matter of preference as to who you prefer (who tickles your fancy, so to speak)

Instead of trying to decide who is better, realize that both have a lot to offer and try to learn as much as possible from both of them...because the stuff that these guys can pull off was unthinkable a decade(s) ago...

Last edited by quitou : 06-28-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
bootdogs

Chris! Please close this thread!!
Old 06-28-2004, 09:40 PM   #11
alencore
Drum Therapist

can't realte much to mangini. all i know he has really fast hands.

hey! why dont someone get this two amazing drummers and let them duke it out for good in an open drum battle just like the old days of buddy rich vs gene krupa sort of settings. it will surely sell like hot cakes if documented.

in the world of drumming today its just a matter of individuality and some ppl can get away with raw technique yet in the end having that definitive style and sound is still the main struggle.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #12
Adam

This is a legitimate thread, and I see no point in complaining about it, or asking that it be shut down.

Look, I know "Mangini vs Donati" was a dumb title, but as far as questioning their techniques, I can't see any harm in that.

I think Peter hit it right on the nose though...they're both soooo good that the only thing taht seperates them is their musical ideas, and personally I believe Virgil's is much more origional, and impressive.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:01 AM   #13
morgenthaler
Administrator

Ditto that Adam!

I have seen and heard both of them enough to know what they are about, and I thoroughly enjoy them both.
They are very different in taste, sound, feel and output.
When you are at that level of technique, what seperates you is taste and style,- in which case they are very different from each other.
That whole speed issue is pretty much a whole other world from the music world. That whole drumometer thing is fun but has NOTHING to do with musical excellence. Mikes execution of matched grip technique is second to none, and Virgils execution of traditional grip technique is second to none.
I think Mikes hands might be faster (Again,- has NOTHING to do with the quality of the musical performance!! -and at Virgils speed,- who cares!?) On the other hand Virgil is way more adventurous and inventive, and has a much deeper groove in my ears. Overall I prefer the MUSICALITY of Virgil above any other drummer.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:40 AM   #14
Lucius

I prefer Virgil's phrasing, but I think both Peter and Quitou are right. Alencore, they did do a drum battle, right now Rob's hunting for photo's!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:13 AM   #15
scorp

Mangini or Man Genie as I 've heard him refered to kicks arse on latest Annihilator cd and there's a cool vid of him in the studio great to see him back with them.

Last edited by scorp : 06-29-2004 at 11:23 PM.