Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
Xen-

Sonor Giant-Step double pedals

Has anyone tried them? I've heard they were totally smooth with the straps. I'll probably buy a new set of pedals soon and I'm hesitating between the Eliminators, Axis and Giant-Step. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
El Salsero

Hey, the only thing i know is that they r much more expensive than Eliminator but they gotta be cool too !!!
Old 06-24-2004, 01:15 AM   #3
Paas

Sonor probalby makes the best drums in the world but personally I don't believe in their pedals. I haven't tested any sonor pedals so I can't say anything for sure but that's the impression I have got.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Lad.

I HAVE A SONOR SET! YIPPEE!
I'm cool now!....maybe
Anyway, I didn't know Lang played for Sonor?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Lad.

I saw this on the main site

Do you think that the design of the pedal surface would interfere with double bass at all? Like, doubles and paraddidles, flams and such?
Old 07-03-2004, 02:20 AM   #6
C.J.

I'm at those, Giant Step pedals ARE smooth, and personnaly, I'm very confortable with them. The simple fact that Lang uses them is a garantee that they're worth something.
My Advice : give them a try !
Old 07-03-2004, 04:57 AM   #7
Lad.

Aye! But Ie've alreedy boght me a payr of Pearl Eliminators!
Have you played and tried both of them? If so, tell me the scoop on which you think feels better.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
C.J.

I have played both of them, and it is only a question of preference, so you have to try them out so you make out which is better for you.
My experience : both the pedals are cool, and are very interresting, but I have a slight preference for the GS kicks, and I feel more comfortable with them.

But once again, try them out...

Note : like Peter once said, the Elims are the best when it comes to the price/quality factor, as they are cheaper than most of the other pedals. But if you have the money, try out what's out there.

Last edited by C.J. : 10-10-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
peter

The Giant Step is not a pedal that
I have tried, I will say, showing you
that I don't know EVERYTHING about
pedals.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNA...tep-Pedals.html

CJ - Can you tell us more about why
this pedal is different and also what
makes it smoother, in your opinion?

Last edited by peter : 07-03-2004 at 02:05 PM.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
Nightkast13

dude but the pearl eliminator i've had it for awhile and its so nice. there are some many endless settings on the pedal i'm sure u'll find ur sweet spot
Old 07-04-2004, 02:52 AM   #11
C.J.

Hummm... Why they are probably smoother ?

Well first of all, everything is under roller bearings or needle bearings. Also, the pedal is equiped with a "Rotation Pendulum" which is at the base of the spring mounts. It's probably just a detail, but it's seems to play alot in the smoothness of the pedal. Frankly it's hard to say...

If you read about these pedals, they are always said to be "extremely smooth". This is supposed to be the "highlight" of these kicks.

The other cool spots : the legth of the footboard is ajustable, the attachment system to the base drum is very handy, and the pedals are equiped with velcro so they do not slip.

Hope I have answered your questions Peter.

Once again though, for anyone interrested, you have to try them out for yourselves...

Last edited by C.J. : 07-04-2004 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
Lad.

Not too sure.
Maybe there's no real difference between the two? and there is NO way I'm buying another pedal(s)
Old 07-05-2004, 03:46 AM   #13
C.J.

There is a diference like in all pedals or equipement as none are the same...
But anyway no one is trying to convince you to buy another set of pedals, it's just information.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #14
Paas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paas
Sonor probalby makes the best drums in the world but personally I don't believe in their pedals. I haven't tested any sonor pedals so I can't say anything for sure but that's the impression I have got.

I have changed my opinion about the giant step pedals after studying more about them.

Could someone tell me if the giant step "Docking Station" comes standard with the pedals? Or is it something you have to purchase separately?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #15
C.J.

Yes someone can : the "Docking Station" comes standard with any Giant Step Pedal.