Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
Kinetic drummer

Exclamation Orchestrating Rudiments

hi guys... just wondering...

i know all rudiments, and i try to apply them in my playing. but what i noticed is that, i hardly use the bass drum. i use mi kick por ex. if i use and swiss army triplet. or the accents with aparadiddle
so.. how do you do it.. does someone makes the rudiment and play the same patter with all the lims?
how do you do it?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
GreenPremier

Check out Marco Minnemann's Extreme Interdependence, in there he shows you how to overlap different sticking combinations with others, it's very difficult, it'll tie you up for a while. But you can use these ideas to overlap combinations with your feet or hands or play combos between a hand and a foot and a different combo between the other hand and foot, it's tough stuff. Try working on a certain rudiment between, say, your right hand and right foot, then try adding another rudiment or combination between the other hand and foot, I garAUntee this'll tie you up for a while, it's frustrating and hard, but man, it's just so damned cool to be able to do...of course you have to stick with it, that's the tough part. Hope this helps
Old 08-02-2004, 11:14 PM   #3
Kinetic drummer

tanx
you mean to mix a pattern with the feet plus a pattern on top with hands?
mmm,yep i have the idea. but, i checked the book and its more for a solo idea,.. imagine in a fill. you just need to do a six stroke roll and other rudiment... how can i apply bass? like i said.. completing the rudiment and just orchestrate.. or add it in a different way. anyway.. im studying that book right now. but still on the last page of warm ups.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:25 AM   #4
pfeff

Weckl's 'The Next Step' video has a good section on triplets. Various combinations of right hand left hand and foot. Eg.

R L F
L F R
F R L
L R F
R F L
F R L
R L F L R F

etc.

Listen to his stuff and you'll find he uses 6 stroke rolls a lot. Things like
f f r l f f (accent r l on toms)
r l l r r l (accent first r on tom, the rest are ghost notes on the snare)
Old 08-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
GreenPremier

I'm still on like the second or last page of the warmups too LOL, those a pretty challenging too, man do they take it out of you when you spend a while on one exercise! So I'm going to take that book slow and let the material set in, it's hard stuff but oh so good for your playing in terms of coordination and just learning new and weird stuff.
Another way to orchestrate rudiments with your feet, try playing a swiss triplet between your foot and your hand or hands. It's like playing a shuffle with your foot and the top part over the top with your hands. Or a flam accent, play the r rrr rrr with your foot and the lll lll with your hand or hands. Hope this helps ya some
Old 08-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #6
peter

Paradiddle (Right hand on the HH or cymbal,
doubled by kick and left hand on snare).

Triplet (Right hand on the cymbal, doubled
by the kick and left hand on snare).

Split your rudiments up from drum to cymbal,
doubling all the cymbal strokes with the kick.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
unsonor

Minemann ? Is it really a GOOD XTREME GOOD thing that video ?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
GreenPremier

The video is pretty wild. That guy does some crazy stuff and he's got some wicked fast hands and feet. Of course he uses the finger control technique, unlike alot of you wrist players. Check out the video if you get a chance, it's worth it.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:02 AM   #9
jimi

Its a double sided disc, there's a hell of alot of music performance on it, but he also discusses everything too! It's extreme DVD watching with 225mins of **** that'll probably give you short-sightedness after you actually get through it all!!