Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
DerNeue

Do you rest the beater on the head?

I know that this is a very old debate. But I am still not really shure wheather I should rest the beater against the head (not pressing) when playing double bass doubles and singles, or not. I have a really low spring tension so that it is very uncomfortable for me to try to fly in the air with the feet. I have to let it drop so that I can hold my feet relaxed. But that works best for me at the moment. O by the way: I prefer heelup for doublekick.
And I also like to know what Virgil does. I know that he sets the heel on the ground when he plays singlebass and rests, but I am not shure about his doublebass parts. On the Modern Drummer Festival when he makes this small double bass clinic it looks like he makes some kind of heelup but it is impossible for me to impliment that technique. I also like to know what spring tension he prefers.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
peter

I do not.

The prime reason is economy. I want
to be ready for the next stroke and in
a closer position for it. It's harder but
I think it best in the long run.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:54 AM   #3
DerNeue

I lean back a little when I play double bass. I try not to fall into my pedals. But I can not relax very well when I try to do that because I would have to get my legs and feet flowing. How do you get that managed? Oh by the way I feel the best stable control when I hold the balls of my feet lower than the heel besause I play out of my calves when I play heelup. And out of the shins when I play heeldown. Is that right?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Shane G

I do not.

My reasoning is sound. I dont like the sound I get when I "bury" the beater.
I used to bury the beater, but changed after a recording session demonstrated to me the difference in sound & tone. It all depends on what type of sound your going for. Either/Or is fine. Whatever you prefer.

Vinnie leaves his on the head. Im not telling him any different. It works for him. Not for me.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Lozzobear

The concensus among most studio guys is that when you let the beater come back off the head, you allow the bass drum to resonate and develop a more "bassy" sound. It makes sense for the following reasons:

1) Imagine hitting your floor tom with a stick and holding the stick to the head. You'd choke the natural sound and decay of the tom.

2) Depending on how hard the stroke and the tension of your bass drum heads and pedal springs, there's a good chance when you leave the beater on the head that you actually get more than one impact. The beater strikes the head and bounces slightly before coming to rest, giving you a slightly messy flam sound that might interfere with a clean double bass roll.

It's a lot more difficult to learn to let the beaters come off the bass drum after the stroke, but it's worth working on. Virgil, as well as other well regarded players like JR Robinson and Simon Phillips, all make a point of bringing the beater back off the head immediately after a stroke.

Hope this helps
Loz
Old 06-18-2004, 07:50 AM   #6
Shane G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzobear
The concensus among most studio guys is that when you let the beater come back off the head, you allow the bass drum to resonate and develop a more "bassy" sound. It makes sense for the following reasons:

1) Imagine hitting your floor tom with a stick and holding the stick to the head. You'd choke the natural sound and decay of the tom.

2) Depending on how hard the stroke and the tension of your bass drum heads and pedal springs, there's a good chance when you leave the beater on the head that you actually get more than one impact. The beater strikes the head and bounces slightly before coming to rest, giving you a slightly messy flam sound that might interfere with a clean double bass roll.

It's a lot more difficult to learn to let the beaters come off the bass drum after the stroke, but it's worth working on. Virgil, as well as other well regarded players like JR Robinson and Simon Phillips, all make a point of bringing the beater back off the head immediately after a stroke.

Hope this helps
Loz

Very well put.

I agree.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
Lad.

Ouch.
I'm a beater rester...
So this means that after a stroke, I need to hold my legs up like I'm on a toilet that is set too high off the ground? I'm heel up.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:40 PM   #8
jimi

try a higher spring tension, to support some of your weight maybe? just try it both ways and see what you prefer. resonance is an issue, but as shane said, whatever works for you! i personally DONT do that, either heel up or down, how can Vinnie get away with that!?!
Old 06-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Lad.

You guys must all be scrawny if the tension of a bass pedal can hold up your entire leg.
I must be like, Collossus or something. I hardly have to use my muscles to weigh down the pedal.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:55 PM   #10
timthedrummer

i dont bury the beater
altho sumtimes i do
i basically do what thomas lang does, combine muffled and unmuffled strokes depending on the situation
cheers
Old 06-18-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
Lad.

Chitti-chitti bang bang.
I'm having some probs with my bass STILL.
It's like I'm going retarded in my legs.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:06 AM   #12
DerNeue

Yesterday I raised my seat so that my legs have an angel slighlty more than 90. I know have not so much trouble. I got a positon that allowed me to rest with the beater about 2 inches away from the head.
I got the Creative Control DVD and noticed that Lang uses felt beaters and rests them against the head, which is much more easy because they can not flutter that easy. I have a DW 4002 and use the plastic surface which supports the rebound very much. I think I know found a way that can be comfortable for me. Thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:01 AM   #13
Shane G

Heres the thing about bass drum playing...your foot should never leave the footboard. Heels up, heel down, slide motion, whatever...some part, (usually the "ball" of your foot) should be in contact with your bass drum pedal at all times.
Most students Ive seen that have BD problems have their foot "leaving" the footboard at some point. This would be akin to letting go of your stick then catching it again rapidly before your next stroke.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:39 PM   #14
iwishiwasbetter

I don't rest the beater but I don't see the harm in it. I used to accidentally rest my left beater on the head while playing broken double bass riffs but it never effected much of anything.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 AM   #15
Paas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad.
Ouch.
I'm a beater rester...

Same here. It's a bad habit.