Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2004, 06:33 AM   #1
timthedrummer

whatis your ritual each time you get on your kit??

like wat do u do when u 1st sit down and have a play?
i am interested to know...
cheers
Old 06-13-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
Kinetic drummer

When i practice:
1. Turn on the air c.
2. put on my puma shoes
3. get out my drum studies
4. metrophones
5. warm ups
6. practicing!
7. playing along

in a gig.
warm up...
and look all the other musicians. then
one, two three four!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
timthedrummer

oh yeh i may as well post mine
i normally sit on my practice kit and do 30 mins hand warmup (and speed exercises)
and then pretty much the same for my feet
i have these awesome new heavy sticks made of metal from singapore- that i can ONLY use on the rubber pads. they are proving great for endurance, and make wood sticks feel like air.
then i jump on my masters kit and work on whatever needs to be worked on!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:46 AM   #4
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthedrummer
oh yeh i may as well post mine
i normally sit on my practice kit and do 30 mins hand warmup (and speed exercises)
and then pretty much the same for my feet
i have these awesome new heavy sticks made of metal from singapore- that i can ONLY use on the rubber pads. they are proving great for endurance, and make wood sticks feel like air.
then i jump on my masters kit and work on whatever needs to be worked on!

aaahh.... those metal sticks .... yup ..they are pretty good ..! and only on practice pads ... unless you want your rims on the drums to have the wave effect..!

www.myspace.com/brandonkhoo

http://www.mapexdrums.com/artists/S...io_Brandon.html

There's nothing for you to fight against, You're so unreal it's evident, You'll never be one of our kind
This ain't yours, **** you don't try, again we will rise! - lamb of god
Milo Porto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 04:48 AM   #5
timthedrummer

thats it!
i bet that'll be the next craze for drumkits
the 'wave effect'
Old 06-14-2004, 07:01 AM   #6
morgenthaler
Administrator

My routine....

Sitting down at the kit... feeling my way around the kit, losely hitting every drum and cymbal lightly and making sure I "feel home" and am sitting with the right posture on the kit.

Then I make sure the drums sound the way I like them to sound, and if not... tune them before I start practicing. I practically hate working out on a kit that doesn't sound the way I want!!

Sometimes I'll start my workout playing a simple bassdrum groove with the feet and playing singles and doubles around the kit with my hands just for the warm up. Other times I'll play something close to Virgils Power Drumming workout, and really push myself, - stamina and speed wise. From that I'll go onto exploring my week sides and try to figure out a way to improve on this and that!

There can be certain specific movements / styles / feels / genres I am working on, but regularly I am working on independence, power and control, and the movements seem to find their way into my playing over time. For feel I try to really listen to myself and make sure I am "in time with myself"! By this I mean, that "Hey this sounds great or... hey this sounds like crap,- what am I doing wrong?"
You (I) can often feel if am doing the right thing, -feel wise- or if things aren't working alright.

At times I am using a specific track/tune to help this and any aspect of my playing. "Alien HipHop" is a winner, since it has a variety of issues worth checking out,-... heavy grooving (chorus), alien bassdrum workout (verse), and serious independence workout (ending). I love to play along to that track. I'll end every workout with playing along to several different tracks, to increase my sense of timing and execution.

Play along to Virg, Vinnie, Weckl etc., and you'll be on your way to much better timing!

Last edited by morgenthaler : 06-14-2004 at 07:04 AM.
morgenthaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:47 AM   #7
Shane G

When I practice:

Warm-up: Mangini's "C&C," 10X, eighth notes, 90-100 bpm.
Morello's "Stone Killer," as sixteenths, 10-12X per line, with fill-ins as one long exercise.
Stick Control: Lately its been pages 39-42, concentrating on the closed roll exercises. 10-12X per line. tempos vary from day to day.

If I finish all of that & there is more time (not usually), Ill work on whatever homework I have for any gigs I have coming up.

On the gigs:
Just play the music. I play what I feel is appropriate to the musicians playing with me.

Last edited by Shane G : 06-14-2004 at 08:51 AM.