Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Christ Magnum

Question Solo Sticking

Hey guys I was wondering what all of your favourite solo/big fill stickings are? There are so many and all of us play different styles of music so I think it could be interesting what we come up with! To start us off, my fav. is a sextuplet sticking that's pretty versatile, it goes like this:

Rllrrl Rllrrl Rllrrl Rllrrl etc. etc. (first note is accented)

you can also throw some quints in there every now and again:

Rllrrl Rllrrl Rllrr Lrrll etc. etc.

that's it! I'm anxious to see all of yours!
Old 05-25-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Matus

Hmmm I'd have to say 5s (Rllrr Lrrll), paradiddle diddle simple (Rlrrll) and double accented (RLrrll), the famous Tony Williams flam lick (rLrrLrL or something) and all of that with multiple bass combinations to add spice. Thos are my faves but I use many more or it would become repetitive.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
Christ Magnum

rLrrLrL -- is that basically the same idea as a pataflafla? I could really use some work on my flam rudiments.. I just realized this thread should be in the Tips and Techniques but now that we're here....
Old 05-25-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
Kinetic drummer

Talking

I Envy You So Much Guys....
I Havent Reached That Level... Some Day.... Soon.
Tanx For The Inspiration Matus And Brian
Old 05-25-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
Kinetic drummer

Talking

MMMM matus how do you do the tony williams lick
i havent heard it.
can you separate the flam when you write the "rīs and līs ????
tanx, cuz i didnt understand it very much?
and brian!! itīll very helpful if you can write doww, the sticking in a chart.. PLEASE!!

TANX
Old 05-26-2004, 05:58 AM   #6
Matus

It's like the flam drag but with a variation. Instead of alternating between leading with the left and right hands there's only one hand leading and the 8th notes are all accented. Something like this:
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1913/twl.jpg

Then it's phrased between a tom and the snare or a cymbal, whatever, against a 4 feel while the left hand stays on the snare doing the accents but there are multiple options. You'll have heard it all over Vinnie's and Gregg Bisonette's work. A nice example of that is on Steve Vai's song The Crying Machine from Fire Garden. There Bisonette does that lick at the end of the tune in a rather tasty way.

EDIT: Forgot to add, usually the flam note (the right hand plays it in this case) is accented as well, so it's a power flam. That's just so it sounds good on the other element.

Last edited by Matus : 05-26-2004 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
bizzodna

i have a 4 bar sticking pattern that can be played at once or broken apart, but they are all great and versatile phrases

Triplet rLL rLL rLL rLL
Sixteenth rLrL LrrL rLrL LrrL
5:4 rLLrr LrrLL rLLrr LrrLL
Sextuplet rLrrLL rLrrLL rLrrLL rLrrLL

All are easy, but it adds alot of color when you play them in a solo, and throw in some accents
Old 05-27-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

Magnum!!! I love the paradiddlediddle, my teacher showed me that by inverting the pattern you can come up with some really cool stuff including the sticking you like, so try these!

rlrrll- now lets put the rll at the front (your fav) rllrrl- now start with the diddles rrllrl

so when you play them all in a row you can change the accents around using different tones and it sounds great!

ex. rLrrll RllrrL rrllRL... then you can throw in those fives and do it all left handed if you're real industrious... I think I might try that

if you wanna Virg em out throw a bass drum hit or ruff in front of each.

I also like to hit cymbals and bass drum on the accents, especially using the RllrrL over and over again, it's very cool visualy.

And while doing that stuff between the drums and cymbals I like to switch to paradiddles with the first note of each hitting a cymbal (Rlrr Lrll)... this is really really really impressive if you can get it up to speed, and then throw in some upper cuts... I had to workout for 3 months before I could pull it off, and I still cant play it as clean and fast as I want to!

Ok, I'm done rambling for now.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #9
Christ Magnum

Thanks alot for those Malt, I especially like that paradiddlediddle variation. Those accents are pretty rough, I'll have to work on them.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:28 PM   #10
Fetch

Fundamentals

Yo.
My fav sticking is actually a product of weird experimentation more than it is some sort of labored intention. I like to use right paradiddles...and kinda space em out a bit. like R_rrllr R_R_rrllr; i like how it works over a standard 4 or 2/4. Playing off or tapping the hat in a diff time signature makes the paradiddle effect sound interesting when it's alternated on the ride and hat. If it's a 5 on 4, that's always neat. If you stagger it without a signature, it also works sometimes. I'm rambling. Sorry. Anyway, that's my fav sticking pattern. I kinda jacked Carter Beauford's fav fill and am pretending like it's mine lol. It's the tata-ta-ta fill he does, like what you hear on Tripping Billies (track 11 on Crash). He throws it in right in the beginning and also at the end of the song. It's a neat fill. I also like to do collapses using the low tom, alt. snare and my high tom, where I stagger the use of the hats closing. I wonder if any of this makes sense to anybody. Really sorry to ramble. What kinda grooves does everybody like to put over an ostinato?

Fetch
Old 05-30-2004, 02:57 AM   #11
jagdkommando

maybe I change a bit the direction of this thread, but
what I'm working on at the moment is playing paradiddle with the feet (bass+hihat)
and against that doubles, paradiddle, flams, doubleparadiddle etc. with the hands
over the whole drums set, so e.g.: (every note of feet and hands at the same time)

hands (double paradiddle) - right hand on hihat, left hand on snaredrum:
RLRRLRLRLLRLRLRRLRLRLLRL
feet (single paradiddle) - right foot on bassdrum, left foot on hihatpedal:
RLRLLRLRRLRLLRLRRLRLLRLR

accents: hands 1st, 7th, 13th, 19th / feet 1st, 5th, 9th, 13th, 17th, 21th

cheers, martin

Last edited by jagdkommando : 05-30-2004 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:47 PM   #12
shaftninja

Send a message via AIM to shaftninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch
Yo.
I kinda jacked Carter Beauford's fav fill and am pretending like it's mine lol.

Actually, it was a Cobham fill. And i'm sure someone else played it even before he did, but I'm ignorant and tired right now, heh.
shaftninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:32 PM   #13
Fetch

Totaly Not Drums

So who here has ever tried to date two girls at once? How do you keep one from finding out about the other? Are there trade secrets? Drummer seeks answers...

Fetch
Old 06-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #14
Christ Magnum

Off topic so quickly? :/