Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
Adam

Who do you think is the next up coming Virgil?

My drum teacher said apparently Thomas Lang is the "new virgil"...but Thomas is 37 so that's hardly "new". Any up and coming new guys that can totally rip?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:17 AM   #2
quitou

me....no, no, just kidding...
Old 05-20-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Matus

I think there's a certain number of drummers who have excelled in the past years above the rest and are what I refer to as "contemporary drummers". They're the likes of Terry Bozzio, Virg, Thomas Lang, Marco Minemann and Grant Collins. The ones who have taken the drumkit to a new polirhytmic dimension within itself, besides having outstanding raw technique.
Who is the next Virg? Who knows but he was probably the first to be exposed to the big public, to remind people that there's another level of things and that the best drummer is the one who studies and plays the most. One thing's for sure, there will be another drummer who will amaze us in the following years because of the inspiration of these first contemporary drummers and I'll gladly welcome him or them Everything else is mere speculation.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:53 PM   #4
stapper15

most of the best drummers are sitting in there room right now play drums...waiting to be found. like most of us here . my drum teacher alwyas tells me that and i think its true.

stapper
Old 05-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
jimi

Lang can do alot technique-wise, but i really dont think he has much musical sense or soloing taste/feeling. I bought his DVD and there are good exercises but it's hard to sit through his songs or his solos.
Virgil is always raving about Marco Minnemann, i bought his DVD too, and although his music was strange at times, it's definitely better than Langs. Also Minnemann soloing is just better overall, and the guy is SO young (around 30) for that amount of talent. When he's Virgils age (no offence Virgil!) who knows what he will be able to do!! I dont think there is anyone one else that age or younger that shows this much potential.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
TAKtakTak

Old 05-20-2004, 11:58 PM   #7
davidseung

Pete drummond.... the next virgil donati!

www.petedrummond.com
Old 05-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #8
Christ Magnum

Tony Royster, Jr.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:11 AM   #9
Lucius

Hey David, you going to see Pete at the Australian Drummers Festival on Saturday?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:51 AM   #10
timthedrummer

hey pete had my cards
he has the right attitude too
cant wait for this saturday haha
Old 05-23-2004, 07:05 AM   #11
kirk

Virg still Virg and he is still Breaking down the barriers and setting new boundaries, it is very cool to read the reviews at the Sabian site, where EVEN the Sabian Execs. are quoted as saying Virg is STILL the Guy pushing the boundaries Physically and musically past present establishments and that he IS still the most disciplined and dedicated drummer out there and that is why he is still breaking New Ground with Amazing results. Some of the students at a recent PIT clinic were quoted as saying "IS there actually
anything you CANNOT! do when you play?" and "IS there anything that you actually feel you need to learn?" One Sabian official said that many of the guy's were actually having a hard time believing what they heard and saw and that someone was actually PLAYING this stuff! He just keeps on going and going and BLOWING minds along the way.

Kirk
Old 05-23-2004, 08:21 AM   #12
Christ Magnum

Well that's what he's here to do. There wont be anyone like Virgil for some time I believe, but I'm trying my best
Old 05-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #13
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

Me... I'm not even 18 yet... I've got till the end of my life to get that good (and so does everyone else) and then better... haha... that's a lot of practicing!
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:50 AM   #14
jimi

Oh ya, i've been meaning to say there are 3 short reviews with some pics of Virgils recent clinic tour in the Zone forums on the sabian site.
Btw i'm looking forward to Malt's Clinic World Tour Keep it up bud! (Not just for Alicia's sake)
Old 05-24-2004, 12:32 PM   #15
alencore
Drum Therapist

the next amazing drummer will be the one that can play with his d i c k.........hahahaa....actually one member already did......where the hell are you rythymtroll??!! jk jk jk....
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote