Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2003, 10:16 AM   #1
Adam

Why doubles?

Just out of curiousity...what are the advantages to doubles. I am quite knew to the double kick world, and fortunatly for me I've picked it up at a young age and quite quickly, however I was wondering why doubles? I can play singles right now a lot faster than doubles (but I'm working on doubles anyway ) Why do guys like Virgil learn to do doubles when singles are so much easier to learn and do?
Don't get me wrong, I plan on learning to play any rudiment at incredible speeds with my feet just like VIrgil, this is just to ease my curiosity
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:25 PM   #2
kirk

Why do we work on doubles with our hands? Same reason with our feet IMO. For one it sure help's develop our profiency(control,fluidity,endurance,speed,feel) to a greater degree than jsut working on singles, but much more than that it allows us to employ distinct techniques and pull off certain chops that are unique and far more creative than just singles. Singles after awhile get boring, just as they do with the hands. Guess that is why I have been more interested in listening to guy's who employ multiple sticking's to a great degree and with tremendous variety and creativity such as Virgil, Vinnie, Weckl, Phillips etc. Guy's like Virgil, Vinnie and Weckl(would put Lang and Minneman in their also, maybe not as much) have great control with such a large variety of rudimental techniques and they are able to pull off some amazing combo's on the drums, beyond just flailing away on the snare. Some guys have trouble taking rudiments from the snare to whole of the drumset.

Virgil is even beyond the rest IMO because of his amazing rudimental technique with both his feet and hands. He comes up with extremely unique and impressive rhythm's and fill ins with hands and feet togehter using advanced rudimental techniques.(remember my story awhile back when I shared about the guy asking Virgil to play some whacked out rudiment like a double triple paradiddlediddle, and he says no problem here you go and with amazing speed and control to boot.)
Other guy's come in just a notch below him IMO but they are still very impressive.

Regards Kirk
Old 07-25-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
Adam

Well said I remember you talking about that double tripple parradiddlediddle thing. What a stupid rudiment! hah! kidding...tschau
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:57 AM   #4
alencore
Drum Therapist

may be some ppl are getting so good at it they just have to move on to the next crazy things on double bass drumming.
so whoever could play triple strokes rule, hehehe.