Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
hi1000

Working out

hello

i m new here. Just want to introduce myself.

i m from Singapore and just want to thank all the people at this site. Very helpful

I m a student... so still young learning drums and stuff

Just wanted to ask, does working out help in drumming? Because i have seen some drummers have real big arms and stuff but yet my friend who is a gym guy said some drummers in the church i go to worked out but their fingers got slower.

Any comment?
Old 05-17-2004, 02:24 AM   #2
dogxray

Working out is good for you period. It will build up your stamina to keep you going. I have met many drummers that were quite built up but I still think the best payers and the ones I have seen are your drummers that play with the fingers and wrists. I don't believe working out will slow down your fingers but they need exercise as well by doing rudiments and rolls.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:16 AM   #3
jimi

Be careful if you are doing weights to keep up your drum practice. It can be negative for all the smaller muscles otherwise, and cardio vascular work will help alot with your stamina. Running for Virgil is a big part of his routine.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:01 AM   #4
hi1000

thanx guys for the advice. one more thing... i stutter while i play drums.. like u know in a fill or something i will play but then my arms will like stop or stutter on their on for a moment or 2 and then i lose the timing.

Any advice?
Old 05-17-2004, 06:13 AM   #5
stapper15

yes and no. when you work out you build *red muscels* which is for strength an stuff like that. you can do that but not to much. when you practice durmming you get *white muscles* which is for speed control and stuff like that. if you do to much working out and not enough practiceing you will just be to stiff to do anything. you dont need to be hard core and work out everyday for 3 hours that will be bad you, more like 3 hours of practicing drumming. if you want to get better faster at drumming you need to practice, working out isnt going to do to much if not make things worse. so set up a good practice routen and go from there

stapper
Old 05-17-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
Matus

Good call stapper, if anything I'd work out based on calisthenic exercises, which are the ones that use your own body weight. Pushups and such. I have to set up an exercise routine for myself because I have lost most of my physical condition (used to play handball but had to get out of it) and I'll be used very soft weights for certain muscle groups, the rest will be running and similar things. You just don't want to experience over training, trust me
Old 05-17-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
alencore
Drum Therapist

well said stapper. no wonder i felt stiff after doing a week of push ups.
cardio vascular work outs like running , swimming or cycling are good as what i experience. it helps build stamina for drumming.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #8
jimi

In short, i guess its exercise to supplement drumming rather than being separate from it. I agree with Matus that using your own weight is best, and cheapest too. (then instead of gym or exercise gear you can get that new snare you've always wanted)
Old 05-17-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
hi1000

haha ok thx
Old 05-18-2004, 12:50 AM   #10
C.J.

Well said Jimi! The thing is to search for the athletic side more that de body building side of working out.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:52 AM   #11
Johnny

Weight training won't slow you down. That's a myth. I'm not a huge fan, but look at Bobby Rock. Also, Mangini weight trains...he ain't slow.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #12
Xen-

Virgil weight trains for sure, too. Anyway, I began weight training along with running ~2 years ago, and now I naturally hit way harder with both hands and feet and have a better endurance. Oh, and practicing more didn't make me slower...
Old 05-18-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
stapper15

this reminds me, yes they do weight train and i knwo it doesnt slow them down if you do all the proper thigns you wont have the prob of being stiff, for example: always stretch before and after you workout thats a must if you dont you will always be stiff which is not good.

stapper
Old 05-19-2004, 12:51 AM   #14
jimi

Virgil has done weight in the past, he doesn't now. I didn't say it slowed you down for sure, you just have to do it properly like stapper15 has just pointed out. Alot of people dont know alot about it, or might be trying it for the first time, so i thought it was important to point out.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:40 AM   #15
Johnny

BTW, I have an article on weight training on my site:
www.johnnydrums.com/text/weights.html