Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Loreman

Sanus Ortus Myspace Finally Updated!

Hi all,

Well, I had a little bit of time recently and I layed down some rough as guts demo tracks for my fusion band Sanus Ortus.

Most were one or two takes, theres a bunch of drum related mistakes on there and they are only roughly mixed but I won't have much time to do anything better in the near future before we record the album so I chucked them up on the myspace warts and all.

The track Altitude has a 2 - 3 minute drum solo over a musical vamp in the middle of the song if you want to check that one out. I actually rather like that solo, totally improvised on the spot it came out very nicely. Thats the only track I would consider decently played of the lot.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.myspace.com/sanusortus

Last edited by Loreman : 02-25-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
cjcdrums

That was INSANE Julian! The solo in Altitude was just fantastic!

You've got a very smooth, powerful, dynamic sound that reminds me of this other Aussie, but with your own twist.

I could just gush endlessly over the quality(!!!) in your playing but I'll spare you this time, keep up the ****ing awesome work man!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
morgenthaler
Administrator

Ditto. (really!)
Old 02-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Matthias

I second that! Wow, you're really really tight!! Somebody worked hard on his skills! My admiration.
The songs are great, too, exciting and musical, not just a senseless burst of chops! Love altitude!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
kirk

Great Playing for sure! I am not trying to start trouble BUT! I would rather hear what you are doing by far then some of the guy's out there who are more well known and to be honest do not have their stuff together as much. There is another guy from Australia and I will not name names, that for years has been promoting himself as the other or next Aussie Great after Virg who really in all sincerity has been trying to BE the next Virg and do what Virg does and really has done a poor job at it instead of laying low and really getting his stuff together being himself and letting the attention come to him instead of flaunting himself as the next Aussie legend. He does not touch Virg at all and you know he is not in your league either.

I have no problem with anyone being strongly influenced by a Virg or Vinnie or Weckl etc. But I do have a problem when they promote themselves as the next GREAT or they ARE the GREAT one needlessly, when they are only ripping the other guy off and do a poor job at that.

My point has nothing to do with comparing one artist to another but why are there so many out there now promoting themselves as the next best thing since sliced bread when they do NOT! have the goods, it is all over the net anymore and rarely does the person even come close to meeting the standards he claims he has established. No I am not talking about Grant Collins either.

It is refreshing to hear and see a guy just being himself laying low and working his Tail off without all the self promotion and caring more about having his stuff together then caring about receiving unwarranted attention. Hope you go far with your music Loreman.

Last edited by kirk : 02-26-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
Loreman

I really appreciate all your great comments.

It is hard to be fresh and original. My favorite part of the drumming spectrum has always been creative and interesting drum fill phrasing, like in time, not just in an open solo or something. And that is where I put most of my effort now days.

Sometimes when you hear yourself a lot, or you spend a lot of time in the practice room you can pick and pick at your own playing, everything sounds old, or tired, or a bit weak or whatever.

In the past few years I have been struggling with feeling like my career or even my drumming wasn't moving forward. Nothing was happening, I didn't feel like I had accomplished anything.

One big problem for me was being born in a country town miles from Melbourne. You don't get to network with the important people, there is so many advantages to living right at the hub mecca when you are growing up and practicing hard and taking lessons etc.

You can work really hard at an artistic pursuit and have nothing to show for it.

Fortunately things seem to be coming together for me recently. And it is very encouraging to get positive feed back from your peers.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
jagdkommando

very good job, congrats!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Matthias

So you must like Gavin Harrison, too!

Yeah, Switzerland isn't quite the musician's mecca either... Plus I envy people like Dennis or Virgil, who were practically born behind a drumset, and brought up by musician parents, playing in bands as little children etc etc. I began drumming at about 13, and my parents don't make music (they did do a bit in their earlier years), they virtually don't even listen to at all (except for a little bit of dull radio while cooking...).
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
CarpathiasRise

The pattern you solo over in altitude reminds me of part of a planet x song off Universe. Don't remember what track, one of the last ones. Good stuff.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
CarpathiasRise

Just wanted to revive this and get some more exposure for you lol. The more I listen the more I like you guys.