Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
Blast_Duck

Pedal Crisis!!

Ok, I got the AXIS A2 double pedal a few months back and to cut a long story short there is something not quite right. I find myself fiddling with it constantly never finding anything comfortable and stressed out with difficulty of adjustments and the slave pedal which has been givign me some serious bother. I have been a very miserable drummer since i bought these.
I am very seriously considering trading these in for either Eliminators or Cobras. I never thought I would ever say that.

Thoughts from anyone with any of the aforementioned pedals please spill your heart out in the thread...and dont say 'look around forums etc' cos thats what i've been doing for the last hour and a half. I am particularly keen to hear Peter's and ICM's thoughts having been one of the few people to own all three at some stage.

Gyyar drumming low-point!! :-(
Old 10-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
nevermore

i'd say, bite through the bitter piece and you'll find yourself better off in time.

I bought myself iron cobra's too but i sorta regret not going for the axes since it has more to offer in time.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
Blast_Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore
i'd say, bite through the bitter piece and you'll find yourself better off in time.

I bought myself iron cobra's too but i sorta regret not going for the axes since it has more to offer in time.

If you watch ICM's videos of him tapping at like 270bpm+ im sure that will convince you that cobras are just fine.
I honestly think there is something up with my slave pedal though. it feels so heavy compared to the master pedal...this is ironic as the identical action of the slave pedal is meant to be a selling feature of the AXIS.
They are good pedals but after months of playing/toying/practicing/experimenting im not sure i like the feel...
Old 10-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
Derek Roddy

The only thing I would say... is to look for any "metal on metal" contact with that pedal or the drive shaft. It's hard to spot but take the pedal completely off and start part by part. Look at every point and make sure, by moving the pedal parts... that it isn't such a thing. Happens from time to time with them. I always make sure that the drive shaft isn't pushed all the way on either pedal. The connection poll is plenty long enough. When it is push all the way to the pedal, it will rub for sure.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
jimi

I went mad adjusting my pedals, had irons and then thought eliminators would be better cos i was never comfy. in the end, after fiddling with the eliminators i ended up (after ALL that) with a factory setting just loosened a bit it was all down to my own technique ....
Old 10-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
roxz

Sounds indeed that there is something wrong with the pedal, the main and slave should feel the same period.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
mont_man22

hapened to me when i got my dw9002's dont worry youll get used to them and evetually ull increase speed by atleast 20bpm TRUST ME im seriouse dont sweat it!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
scottevtv

What are some of your Axis settings?? I would like to know, maybe I can help you.. Be as specific as possible with what settings you have tried.. I might be able to email you some secret settings.. List how you have them exactly set up.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
peter

Derek is right. Put it on the table and
analyze it, close. Look for contact. Get
out the Allen wrenches and make any
necessary adjustments.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:21 AM   #10
bozzio

be specific about what bothers you. i have used iron cobra, pearl, and DW.right now i'm using Axis and i'm verry happy. i play fast with volume and power.ok tell me what are trying to do with axis the flat foot technique or heel and toe? i play heel and toe and i can help you with that if you tell me what's not comfortable about the axis pedal.is it the tension? the board height? the beater? be more specific please.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
Blast_Duck

Ok...
I am using standard heels up. I have the VDL slid all the way back which is where this problem is at its worst...the problem has just worsened further because now i can feel something on the slave side is 'loose' i get a clacket clack sound from the rattling and it also feels heavier.... I remember when i first got them i found a source of friction where the 'cam' was rubbing against the main frame of the pedal when the VDL was slid all the way back...this no longer seems to be happening.
I have, on many occaissons taken it onto a table, examining, reconfiguring tightening etc...but it seems i just cant nail this bizzaire problem.
I decided i am going to try and send them to the AXIS factory for some rejuvination and buy the Flexi-Glide Cobras as a back-up. Darrell/Chuck will know whats up im sure and i think this is the best way. thanks for all the replies and my ears are still open for further advice.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
Blast_Duck

Bearing this in mind.....could anybody 'describe' the feel of a strap..i would love to try for myself but there is very limited selection in my area and this isnt possible.
I hear it is similar to having the VDL slid back on the AXIS A pedals. I hear it is 'smoother' than a belt and 'lighter' but slightly less powerful. Would the footboard 'stick to your foot' more with a strap drive. Is it closer to direct drive than a chain? Does the offset cam decrease the effort required to produce a stroke?
I know people will say differen things but from a factual/objective viewpoint how might you answer these questions?

thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #13
roxz

Just buy eliminators with straps, 6 different cams to freak with... And it's a pretty cheap pedal...

And if you have big feet or are used to the bigger axis foot-board ,than don't buy Iron cobra's cause of the small and tiny footboard...
Old 10-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #14
IronCobraMan

dude...if axis is making ur miserable then return them and buy something else....

i dont believe that "u should get used to them" .... if a pedal is making ur playing suffer...then it isnt the pedal for u

i returned my axis and bought eliminators.... it was the best decision i ever made for my drumming and for my bank account

u gonna buy michael jordan shoes cuz everyone tells u they'll make u jump higher?

take ur own advice as opposed to others'
Old 10-17-2005, 04:54 AM   #15
Blast_Duck

i appreciate your thoughts ICM.
I wasnt actually able to try the AXIS pedals before i got them becuase they are rare as hell here in the UK, nevermind outside of London wherei live. As for returning them....im not sure on music123's return policy.....i have had them since June if that has any bearing. i would then also be without any drum pedals for weeks on end = not good. A good suggestion though and i will look into it.....
it wasnt as much the feel of AXIS that i didnt like..just the fact that i paid $600 for them and the slave pedal is basically falling apart for no apparant reason and there is no easy repair solution for me as a UK customer.
I think it would cost a lot of money to ship the pedal to the USA. Im going to try trade them in at a music store for cobras or eliminators because this might actually work out cheaper than sending them half way accross the world and having something else shipped back.

ok so......

COBRAS OR ELIMS