Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
C.J.

Stacks ?

Hi y'all !

Here's the deal: I would like to set up a stack cymbal with nice short decay, and so I was thinking about stacking a china slpash over an upsidedown splash.

The thing is, should I get a smaller china splash, say like a 10" china splash over 12" splash, or same sized cymbals ?

If anyone has stacks like this could you help please ?

Thanks,
Chris.

P.S. Please please, if anyone has info on the Sonor 3005's, I know I'm insisting, but I'm desperate.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
dcdrmwthme

Hello,

I have a cheap Wuhan 10 inch china (paid 12 dollars for it!) with an 8 inch Istanbul Splash stacked on top. Sometimes I'll stack a 6 inch splash, but I prefer the 8.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
cjcdrums

I'm thinking of buying the Portnoy Max Stax. Jon Theodore of The Mars Volta has a stack of four cracked cymbals that sounds GREAT and I've been experimenting to get a similar result. Meinl also has some effects cymbals that kinda work like that- I think it's the Johnny Rabb signatures.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #4
Images&Words

I've got a Mike Portnoy Stax, the 10inch one, and ive got an 8inch AAX splash over a 10inch AAX splash which also sounds great! but they Mike Portnoy stax sound awesome, although they are a little pricey
Old 02-25-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
C.J.

Yeah, I do NOT want to invest on those Max Stax, they sound great, but they're
a total rip of for what it is.

I've tried them, and I found that you can get pretty much the same result for a hell
less money. Sad though, they are cool cymbals. I was told that they are pretty
fragile...

Cjc, yeah I am going for Meinl for sure, either a stack with the classics range or I'm going for those Gen-X jungle stacks. Meinl is sooooo cheap compared to the other brands it's amazing.

So I guess I should go for a smaller china splash on top of a bigger splash if I understand what you say ?
Old 02-25-2005, 01:53 AM   #6
C.J.

Oh by the way, I don't know if you know Bjorn Fryklund from Freak Kitchen (a groove killa !!) but he uses stacks wich have some really cool sounds, I looking for that kind of sound.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
cjcdrums

Never heard 'em.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
C.J.

www.freakkitchen.com

Oh and Björn has only been playain with
them since the last alum "Move".

Their next album "Organic" is out soon.

I've met them, they're great guys (a bit
sick in the head) and great musicians.

Last edited by C.J. : 02-25-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #9
jsuplicki

Freak Kitchen is a great band!

C.J. I believe the 'stack' sound you are talking about to is a 13" Rhythm Tech Ribbon Crasher, they're around $60 US new. Is the sound you're referring to the 8th note 'ride' pattern during the verses to 'Heroin Breakfast'? I tried one out at my local Guitar Center and that is definatly the sound . It's listed on his website www.bjornfryklund.com. Check it out!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:24 AM   #10
C.J.

Oups, I forgot about this thread !

Jsuplicki,

I saw that Ribbon Crasher on his site, but I saw him live, and he dosn't use that at all, he has a secondary hi-hat placed there.

Instead he uses the big stack on his right (for example on Heroin Breakfast) and the smaller one just over his primary hat (the bursts on Nobody's Laughing).

And they both have a very loud, very short decay, and a trashy sound.

I've found a stack from Meinl that has a very ressembling sound (IMO), it's the Generation-X X-treme stack 12"/14". Anybody tried this one ?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:48 PM   #11
cjcdrums

No, what's it cost? Any idea? I'm looking for a good stack. Just don't wanna pay for Portnoy's.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
C.J.

Are you talking about the Meinl X-treme stack ?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
cjcdrums

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:10 AM   #14
C.J.

Hello my alter ego,

Sorry I don't know how much it costs, I have not got the updated price list, if I get my hands on it, be sure I'll let you know. I'd bet you anything that it is WAY cheaper that the Max-Stacks-I-want-your-money (sorry...) cymbals.

Have you checked out the Meinl stacks sound bytes on their site ? The new Gen-X stuff seem real cool.

Cheers,
Me.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:21 AM   #15
cjcdrums

Oh, I didn't know they had sound clips on their web site. I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks!