Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
drumaster311

how can I maximize the efficiency on my bass drum head?

Im trying to get the best bounce off the head for double bass playing, but on every kit I used my pedals on (powershifter eliminators) they work better on other kits than mine. How can I fix this problem? I have an aquarian superkick II bass head too.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
DavidPartay
meeheehee

Send a message via MSN to DavidPartay
Tune it so it sounds good, and work on your technique

No point having a bassdrum head cranked that sounds like crap.

Experiment a bit with tightening it to see how that goes and see if you can still get a good sound out of it. Also experiment with the amount of muffling on both the front and batter heads.

David Pardy on YouTube
DavidPartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
DerNeue

I can not give you many tips, despite from tuning the bassdrum higher. And try to get lower on the footboard. The ankle has to relax after every stroke. When there are good spaces between strokes, place your heels on the ground so that you can relax better!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
drumaster311

I think its just my tuning, becuase they play fine on every other kit just not mine
Old 12-07-2004, 01:06 AM   #5
D.W.A.

if you are using one.......try playing without the beater pads.....im not much on them...then again........i like my kick head to last so.... i dunno......its a thought.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:20 AM   #6
DavidPartay
meeheehee

Send a message via MSN to DavidPartay
Kick pads make no difference to the rebound, and it's stupid to not use them anyway.

Considering you pay ridiculous prices for bassdrum heads ($80-$90 retail in Australia for anything good) you want them to last, so you use a kick pad. If anything, the kick pads give them that extra bit of punch.

David Pardy on YouTube
DavidPartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:34 AM   #7
pcannon

Just a thought, you might try to tigten your front head a bit, it will affect the pitch a bit, but noy as much as cranking up the batter head. a nice kick sound requires the batter head to be loose for that low end with some slap or snap, I would look to your pedals for the "rebound" your looking for . Also, play with the angle of your bass drum a bit, is it flat on the ground or an inch or so off the ground? If your pedal seems to work better on other bass drums, note a these points I've mentioned- front and back head tention-angle of drum etc... just check all possible set ups til it feels right! Hope that helps Pete
Old 12-07-2004, 06:20 AM   #8
D.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPartay
Kick pads make no difference to the rebound, and it's stupid to not use them anyway.

Considering you pay ridiculous prices for bassdrum heads ($80-$90 retail in Australia for anything good) you want them to last, so you use a kick pad. If anything, the kick pads give them that extra bit of punch.

just my opinion man......and YES...there is a diffrence in ''feel''...which someone may benifit rebound as well.....whatever floats the boat (if i was paying 80-90 dollars........yes....YOU probrably should keep it on)
Old 12-07-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
cjcdrums

I read a Modern Drummer article with Zoro talking about bass drum technique and he said that the tension of the resonant side head does affect the rebound more than you would think. Also, all drums and pedals feel different, so don't spend so much time making it perfect on your kit when it feels different on every other kit you play. Spend that time working on your technique, so that you are better and more versatile when the time comes to play someone else's kit. Just set everything to about medium and go from there.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
alencore
Drum Therapist

place a towel or pillow inside your bd touching the head of course to dump it. the basic ****! i know you know.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:51 AM   #11
IronCobraMan

heres how i play ... its sounds and feels great too....
1- i have the EVANS emad sound ring skin...pretty pricey , but serious low end and awesome snap

2- i have it so loose , ud think it was ur mom after i was done with her
this makes the sound real powerful.... no tone , jus pure snap, a fukin cannon

3-i have my bassdrum pretty inclined... so when the beater hits the head...its at a perfect 90 degree angle with the floor....

4- a pillow inside the kick ... NOT touching the head.... the head needs to resonate and breathe.....