Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
nevesis

Send a message via AIM to nevesis
NEW Drum Video...Check it!

Hey everyone. I recently bought a bunch of recording gear and some mics and did my first video test with the audio recorded on my board. It is a short video but sounds decent.

I am still working out the kinks and everything, the bass drum is a little low in the mix, and I don't have overheads yet, but its still not bad!

http://www.thelabmusic.com/evan/

Download the video titled "evdrumtest81104.mov"

Post feedback below!

Thanks everyone!

Peace out,

Evan
nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
D.W.A.

the audio's a little better this time...the kicks just loud enough...snare's just right
Old 09-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
firstbat71

My 8 year old can play that stuff.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
nevesis

Im sure.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:45 AM   #5
jonberg

Send a message via MSN to jonberg
Thatīs some great drumming Nevesis, very fluid and precise, but
I would like to hear some grooving from you. For me it tells me more about a drummer than all the techniquall stuff. Looking forward to it!!
/jonberg
Old 09-06-2004, 11:41 PM   #6
jonberg

Send a message via MSN to jonberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonberg
Thatīs some great drumming Nevesis, very fluid and precise, but
I would like to hear some grooving from you. For me it tells me more about a drummer than all the techniquall stuff. Looking forward to it!!
/jonberg

Oh **** man, havenīt been on the board since I wrote that, this has growed huge!
Nevesis, I hope that you didnīt misunderstand my post here about your playing. Itīs great drumming in that "style", BUT, for me as a drummer on this board itīs pretty boring actually so I just asked for some cool grooving ideas being shared from you. I donīt think anyone had an bad intent to put down your drumming.
But you have to realize that when you only have posted those kind of solos before and asked for comments, and also have gained some good comments about it, why do it again?? Post something new instead, something that we havenīt heard before. I have been (and still are) a very techniquall drummer, like to practise hard things etc.. BUT, I realized 2years ago that if I would become a proffesional drummer, I had to becoming a more steady grooving allround drummer. And something I reacted to:

"I am already better then you and all the other people in this thread who posted baseless opinion's on what I played in those videos. Constructive criticism is one thing, jealously and going after someone because you just do not like them is another. "

They had some opinions about your drumming, you gotta to be able to handle it!! And:

"Maybe you need to go hit the practice room and get off the internet for a while so you can live in reality instead of this fantasy world where you can say whatever you want and hide behind a computer. Because if it was you and I in a room with two kits and we went head to head you would lose and I guarantee you wouldn't have the balls to talk **** to me then!"

Man I think that is unhuman behaviour, we are all humans and, trust me, that kind of attitude will only slap you in the face someday! And:

"You should never judge any drummer or musician until you see them play in front of your face. The few clips I have put on the web are not everything I can do, and does not even come close to showcasing every part of my drumming. It does not even show me playing with the groups I play with! Its purely pathetic to put me down for not even having seen me play."
Well, LETīS SE THOSE CLIPS INSTEAD!

Like I said, looking forward to them! Keep it up!
/ Jonberg
Old 09-03-2004, 04:53 AM   #7
jimi

Good stuff nev, post your drum track to some of the MMD tracks or something!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
Christ Magnum

Sounds awesome. Kick is a little low like you said and overhead mics would help, but it sounds great anyway. And I agree with Jonberg, we want grooves!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
Revan

You'll never get them, because he can't.

Btw, Nev, still sharing the premium stuff on the Pearl forums?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:33 PM   #10
peterad

yeah, really...you need to play a groove now and then. Your playing is very one dimensional, no dynamics, all the same speed and gets very boring very quickly. Sorry but im being honest.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:43 AM   #11
C.J.

That's a nice set of drums you have there...
Old 09-06-2004, 09:04 AM   #12
slamnovalis

Quote:
Btw, Nev, still sharing the premium stuff on the Pearl forums?

Uh, oohhhhh!

Hey, Evan, is that not pretty much a slap in the face to Virgil and the other Premium Members of this site?

I, myself, am not a Premium Member (obviously... look near my username), but I can honestly tell you that my boxers would be bundled as bad as undies if I saw Virgil-Donati-Facial-Expression-Ripper-Off'er going around hosting and letting hundreds of other forumers from other forums watch videos of a drummer who's charging an arm and a leg (in a good way) to view, for free..

Come on, are you obvlious to rational thought, or what?

With that all said, I will admit to downloading those videos, but because of the opportunity it proposed, since I'm on a 56ghey connection. However, I'd say since I do indeed have my own identity behind the drum set, unlike yourself, mate, in the end scores me more points; so it's cool.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #13
nevesis

I don't care what anyone says about my playing. You do not know me, and never have seen me play in person live therefore its a ****ing joke for you to try and judge me. Your comments fuel me to practice more, so actually keep on saying negative things because it makes me want to go play and get better.

I am already better then you and all the other people in this thread who posted baseless opinion's on what I played in those videos. Constructive criticism is one thing, jealously and going after someone because you just do not like them is another.

Maybe you need to go hit the practice room and get off the internet for a while so you can live in reality instead of this fantasy world where you can say whatever you want and hide behind a computer. Because if it was you and I in a room with two kits and we went head to head you would lose and I guarantee you wouldn't have the balls to talk **** to me then!
Old 09-06-2004, 10:53 AM   #14
slamnovalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis
I don't care what anyone says about my playing. You do not know me, and never have seen me play in person live therefore its a ****ing joke for you to try and judge me. Your comments fuel me to practice more, so actually keep on saying negative things because it makes me want to go play and get better.

I am already better then you and all the other people in this thread who posted baseless opinion's on what I played in those videos. Constructive criticism is one thing, jealously and going after someone because you just do not like them is another.

Maybe you need to go hit the practice room and get off the internet for a while so you can live in reality instead of this fantasy world where you can say whatever you want and hide behind a computer. Because if it was you and I in a room with two kits and we went head to head you would lose and I guarantee you wouldn't have the balls to talk **** to me then!

Damn boy-son, what condition do you suffer from? Automatically assuming that since someone really finds your playing to be rather tasteless and lacking of the most important thing, the groove (and no, not your used-up 1+a 2+a on the hi-hat/ride, 1's and the last 16th note of ever four quarters on the bass drum, and ghost/grace notes on your snare).

Some may consider what you have as "chops." I consider them basic, BUT well-developed senses of rudimentary application and orchestration.. Fair enough?

Your endless Dennis and Virg licks really overshadow any originality in your playing. It's one thing to be influenced, but it's another to blatantly steal the obvious trademarks of another *Ahem* Dennis's "signature" triplet ostinato.

Having that said, you've never heard me play. There you have it!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:25 AM   #15
nevesis

I do not need to defend myself anymore then what I stated. Your a tool, and can pick me apart as much as you would like, but your not the one actually going places with their talent.