Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Kinetic drummer

Talking Building Up Your Speed In Hands.

Hi guys....
ive played fast enough to do the necessary chops in a gig. but then...i wanted totake my speed further.
in my practice routine i do paradiddle, singles and doubles for one hour. do you think this will give me speed and control?
a friend omine told my thats too much. i rather should practice rudiments in short periods of time.

now guys... how did you built up your speed. and the guys who are doing the same what methods are you taking.
i also practice the simon philipps exercise with the fingers. thats all... i cant play very fast.. play like around 140bpm playing 32nd notes.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
dude

umm 32nd notes at 140bpm is the same as 16th notes at 280bpm, and that is FLYING
Old 06-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
groovemachine

Exclamation wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude
umm 32nd notes at 140bpm is the same as 16th notes at 280bpm, and that is FLYING

Is that possible dude
Old 06-04-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
timthedrummer

yeh that would be breaking the world record i believe??
geez man why do u want to get faster? haha
Old 06-04-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
timthedrummer

oh and good to see your 1st post 'dude' (no pun intended)
welcome aboard
Old 06-05-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
Kinetic drummer

SORRY GUYS.....!!!! it was 120 with 32nd notes. i dont know why i wrote 240.... and i just can do that with singlesand doubles... paradiddles... naaaaa... thats why i ask....y practice and practice and my paradiddlesare the same..
any of you guys is in the MOELLER STROKE?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:12 AM   #7
Shane G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic drummer
SORRY GUYS.....!!!! it was 120 with 32nd notes. i dont know why i wrote 240.... and i just can do that with singlesand doubles... paradiddles... naaaaa... thats why i ask....y practice and practice and my paradiddlesare the same..
any of you guys is in the MOELLER STROKE?

Yes...Im a "Moeller" disciple, if you will.

In regards to "speed"...Speed is time. And you cant gauge speed w/o a metronome. Use a journal, write down the exercises and the tempos, and make sure you practice EVERY DAY, and you will get faster. Its that simple. Just takes time, thats all.

In reference to Moeller...Moeller's thing was playing fluidly, w/o tension. It was also good for power. But it advocates turning the wrist, not bending it. That way, the larger muscles of the forearm are used, as opposed to the smaller ones that bend the wrist.

Hope any of this helps.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:42 AM   #8
Matus

It is too much For raw speed I'd go for Chaffee's endurance for singles method (which I think I explained a while ago). The Moeller technique is a whole different world, if you want to get into it there is a lot of great stuff on the net about it. Try to find Dom Famularo's book, It's Your Move. It explains it very accurately and if you add to that Jim Chapin's video for illustration then you've got a great method.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:55 AM   #9
shaftninja

Send a message via AIM to shaftninja
There are so many different exercises, routines, workouts, you name it. Obtain a pair of marching sticks, and some of those Diggit stick weights, and blast out all the rudiments. I do that every other week.
shaftninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:10 AM   #10
unsonor

is the ... practice a lot of 16 notes at 140 BMP playin in groups of four with each hand separatly ? LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and so on .... at 140 ? Onother Xercise if any ? like a reprezentative one ? how does virgil say ?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:53 PM   #11
Lad.

I actually think that unsonor's post makes sense.
Fast single strokes are just two seperate hands doing single strokes put together.
I shall take this to note, indeed.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #12
alencore
Drum Therapist

play really fast single strokes on a floor tom tuned really low. it has far lesser rebound so you'll use more of the forearm wrist combination much much much more depending on tempo and dynamics of course.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:57 AM   #13
peter

OK. If you want to get hardcore, do Billy's exercise:

1. Take phone books and place them under each arm,
elbows pinching in.

2. On a bed or pillow, place a quarter and then try
and strike that quarter, with alternate strokes.

You will be using only your wrists and fingers.

From me to you, don't worry about speed so much.
It will come with time. Click that metronome up,
once every two days and that should be fine.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:22 AM   #14
Shane G

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
OK. If you want to get hardcore, do Billy's exercise:

1. Take phone books and place them under each arm,
elbows pinching in.

2. On a bed or pillow, place a quarter and then try
and strike that quarter, with alternate strokes.

You will be using only your wrists and fingers.

From me to you, don't worry about speed so much.
It will come with time. Click that metronome up,
once every two days and that should be fine.

With all due respect, peter, all this is gonna do is make you better at playing on quarters with phone books under your arms. And who plays on quarters at their gig? Not me.

Look...why is it that drummers have this "idea" that practicing on everything OTHER than drums (pillows, quarters, your knee, etc etc) will make you a better drummer?

Practice on drums...or at least a practice pad. WITH a metronome. Jeez, fellas...phone books? Cmon, man.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #15
Josh_SDD

Speed

Both Buddy Rich and Dennis Chambers suggest playing on a phonebook. A Moongel pad or a phone book/pillow build your chops much faster than a snare drum. It's the use or lose process. If you dont work the muscles that help speed your singles, you will never move forward.