View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 07:10 AM   #11
Matthias

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Imagine a bass guitar players refers to a part in a song which would me in Dminor where you need to play a certain groove for example. Or a Guitatist who says that you have to play a fill when he pulls of a Asus2 chord...

That's where you musical ear and solfegio comme in.

Well, you'd have to have absolute ears (I don't know how to say that in English, but it means you hear a certain note, and you know the absolute tone, i.e. "this is a D"). Solfège as such would be just "this is a Re", wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott h
IMHO solfege is incredibly lame and inefficient. The best way to learn that stuff is by singing the actual numbers of the degrees in the scale (eg. 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 8 for a lydian mode). That way everything you sing is directly related to the scale, and then you can sing modes and chords with the flattened and sharpened notes without reverting to "Meh" and all that other crap.

That actually is NOT the same!! If you're for example in C, then lydian wouldn't be Do Re Mi ... etc, BUT Fa So La Ti Do Re Mi! With this sillables you normally stay in the tonality (I hope this means the right thin in English). You'd have to say #4 5 6 j7 8 1 2 3 to think the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott h
I always knew it as So, without the "l"

Me too!
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote