Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to play double bass. (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=956)

crazydonkey_69 04-19-2004 09:29 AM

How to play double bass.

I've been playing doulbe bass for about 4months now and i've learn't 16th at about 120bpm, but i dont know if im playing correctly. I've read about playing with your ankles, but does this mean you dont acctaully lift your leg or what?

Do you have any tips on how to play double bass to be able to achieve fast speeds and good techniques. Also some tips on posture would be very helpfull.

Thanks.

Crazy Donkey

Lad. 04-19-2004 08:24 PM

I lift my leg somewhat, but not all the way. For me, it's more of a combination of my legs and ankles. I honestly think that it's a habit I've got to break. I think it's just because of my bass pedals, though.

Kinetic drummer 04-19-2004 09:29 PM

from the begining

hi,,,
i´ve been playing double bass since 3 years ago...but i never reached the desired speed. i had lots of limitations. 1 month ago i reacher my limit. i start to ask and ask to how toplay. now i have some conclusions.
there are two parts of playing. the physical part and the musical part.
the first thing you have to do is:

1. GET A METRONOME. its basic to have one. try to get the METROPHONES
2. Sit in order to have your bass drum a lilbit to the right.. imagine that you have another bass drum... ifyou dont like the position, try to move yoursel a lil bit to the left.

3. find the right height of your sitting. thats up to you, just try to be comfortable. YOU HAVE TO DEVELOP TECHNIQUE. just like in hands... in order to play at ease have endurance and spped. try to have both feet in the same position.

4. practice heel down first, for about an hour., then switch to heel up.
your ankles are gonna move faster if you practice heel down. try to measure speed with your metronome.

(THATS THE PHISICAL PART)... Try to get this first and then ask again
tip: use light shoes!... puma is perfecto for drumming!! i have the same shoes as virgil and as thomas lang.
play double strokes, paradiddles and inverted doble strokes with your feet.
conclusion

sit in the right place, have your feet in same position,pracice heel up and down with a metronome...
during this approach into double bass maybe youll have some trouble... send me a private msg to my email (icarus_dreamsuite@hotmail.com), or post a new thread....

GOOD LUCK

PRACTICE TIL´YOUR LEGS SHIVER!!!

JOEY JORDISON 03-11-2005 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydonkey_69
I've been playing doulbe bass for about 4months now and i've learn't 16th at about 120bpm, but i dont know if im playing correctly. I've read about playing with your ankles, but does this mean you dont acctaully lift your leg or what?

Do you have any tips on how to play double bass to be able to achieve fast speeds and good techniques. Also some tips on posture would be very helpfull.

Thanks.

Crazy Donkey

go to this web site it helps http://www.bloodyrich.net/bass.html

DerNeue 03-11-2005 04:48 AM

If you are able to play relaxed without any pain and sit up straight the major part should be right. I myself discovered that it is best to mainly use ankles and use the legs for auxiliary power.
When you place the balls of your feet midway down on the pedal and let it rest your beater should be close to the head (without touching). This is when the heel is raised. I try different positions. You should feel a light tension in your calves. When you perform singles strokes now your leg movements should become less the faster you go because the ankles do most of the work.
The key to speed is good and consitent technique and practicing it over and over again!
And playing heeldown helps a great deal because you learn how to use your ankle. Even if playing heelup or down feels slightly different!

IronCobraMan 03-11-2005 05:50 AM

experiment with : spring tension on ur pedals....footboard angle..... beater distance... inclination of ur actual bass drum (make sure when ur beater hits the skin its perfectly staight on it and not going extra far to catch the head)...seat height....seat distance from ur pedals.... (this can take months to figure out)

once u feel comfortable with ur setting... start SLOW...to understand the mechanics of double bass....and finally get a metronome and keep tabs on ur speed improvment... its basically like working out at the gym...u gotta feel the burn in ur muscles at the end of each drum session

good luck

alencore 03-11-2005 09:04 AM

forget double bass and learn the rosanna beat and soon you'll be a rich man, or atleast, happy.

soon you'll understand.

DerNeue 03-11-2005 12:27 PM

@alencore:
Do you mean he should mainly focus on his overall musicality?
I agree with you. Doublebass should not distract to much from developing better timing and feel!
Developing doublebass speed is a technical thing. Once you can play faster it feels great but it only gets useful in a song if you understand the songs feel for yourself and if you have the musical experience to know when it is tasteful and fitting and when not!

bevs_joey 03-15-2005 03:53 AM

How to play double bass.

Set your stool so your knees are roughly 90degrees and sit comfortable. (dont sit too high or too low)
*if your playing with your heel down its easier to sit a little back. (away from the snare)
*If your playing with your heel up sit close to the snare between your legs.

Heel down
You should set the pedals roughly shoulder width apart or more(depends on whats comfortable really.) Use your ankles and keep the back of your foot on the floor.

Heel up
You should sit closer to the snare for greater speed and again, set the pedals to roughly shoulder width or more (depending on you.) Sit exactly in the centre of the pedals so 1 leg doesnt have to work harder than the other. ting in the middle you are a lot more balanced and dont have to rely on a foot to hold you up either) Note* Try to wear light shoes or even bare foot
You can lift your leg a little if you wish.
Try and keep the bass drum skin tight so that the beater bounces back quicker (where as a loose bass drum, the beaters shock gets absorbed and therefore results in a slower speed)

Thats all for now. Any queries contact me
cheers for your time

cjcdrums 03-15-2005 10:11 AM

Well, even though this thread is almost a year old, I'll still submit what the only 3 things that helped me were. First of all, I found that lowering the spring tension made it more comfortable for me, especially with heel down. The first thing I practiced that actually had results the next day was to isolate one foot and practice VERY VERY slowly, with emphasis on training your ankles to control the motion. For about a week I saw results with that, and then I read somewhere about how you have to play fast to get good at playing fast. That's absolutely true. I started pushing myself hard in practice, to play to a burn, and when it burns like hell you know you've done it. Do this several times a day. Within the past month and a half I've raised my maximum speed from 140 to 210 bpm 16th notes, and I have a lot of control over 190 bpm 16ths. IF YOU WANT SPEED THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT. Play to a burn, every day, using every technique you can, including (but not limited to) heel up, heel down, the "flat foot" technique, the "floating" technique, and anything else you can. This method works on your hands too. It is important to know the mechanics behind practicing and various techniques, and for that I would suggest going to the Mike Mangini forums and reading everything about lactic acid, "fast twitch" muscles, essentially everything. Knowledge is power, so learn everything you can. Also, pay close attention to the posts of the speed demons over here, ESPECIALLY Tim Waterson, but also Bostic, IronCobraMan, Peter, Jonberg, and lots of people I'm forgetting. This is what has helped and is working on me. Crikey this is a long post. Oh well, you're over it. :p

bushnell@gulfte 04-07-2005 04:18 PM

how to e-mail Joey Jordison

I REALLY want to e-mail JOEY bad so I can say how bad ass he is at drumming.I play drums...

cjcdrums 04-07-2005 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushnell@gulfte
I REALLY want to e-mail JOEY bad so I can say how bad ass he is at drumming.I play drums...

Welcome to the forum, dude. How long have you been playing?