Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can anybody help with double bass? (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=63)

luir1 07-04-2003 04:11 PM

Can anybody help with double bass?

Hi guys,I am Lui and i want to ask you guys a question to help me with my problem.
I imadgine that are very good drummers here so I let me tell you my problem,when I play double bass my feet get numb or very tired,is this normal? and let me tell you that I am not playing very fast when i get tired I play normal speed.
My question is : Can anybody help me with exercises or techniques to play double bass so I do not get tired, it feels bad when you playing with a band and the feet start to fail i hate that.
Also can anybody tell me how they warm up hands and feet before a live show(or how the profesional drummers warm up)
It will be very helpful to me if anybody can help me to develop speed and endurance and do anybody or it is good to workout with weights and running ,what it makes feet fast?
To the drummer who play double stroke roll at 150 to 170 my hats off,how many hours a day you have to practice to get that speed?
Well guys I wish anybody take the time to help me,Thanks

Lui

metronomo 07-05-2003 03:42 AM

Try the exercise showed in the Virgil Donati's video Power Drumming...:D

jonberg 07-06-2003 01:42 AM

Hi luir1.
I think that just listening and try imitating/transcribing materials from Donati, Minneman etc. is a good way to learn playing double bass. I never read or worked from a book based on bassdrum technique, Iīve learned what I do by listening/transcribing from mostly Donati.

You can always work on singles and doubles, and do combinations between those, just use your imagination :)

And about the doublestroke thing...I can play it precise in 160bpm, faster then it gets non-precise :)
I actually tape-recorded the first time I began with this and listening back to it (it was about 4 years ago) I canīt understand how I had the discipline do work on it because it really sucked back then :D I was just inspired by Donati and that kept me going, which I thank him so much for!!
I guess the first time Donati played doubles with the feet, it didnīt sound to good either...itīs a matter of practice and understanding what you work on.

Good luck with bassdrum-chops :D

alencore 07-07-2003 12:41 PM

of course don't forget to use a click or a metronome to make sure things are even and on time. it's way better to start slow then each day or so speed it up a few bpm.

for endurance on db it's just the way most ppl do it as in practice, practice, practice. some running or cycling or any cardio vascular work out will help also. avoid lifting wieghts as from what i experience made my hands feels heavy thus i can't do some fast rolls or what not. do some stretching before you practice or play drums. it might help lessen that numbing you get.

drumming is quite a physical work out especially on db. so get yourself condition physically coz that numbing ain't cool. it's like carpo-tunnel syndrome or whatever.

v1rotate 07-11-2003 06:40 PM

Don't forget that seat/throne height is very important to minimise stress on the thighs and feet. The method most people use is to make sure that the thighs are parallel with the floor (then maybe an inch higher on the seat height). If you seat too high, I think you will have problems, too low and you will get tired too easily.

Fede 07-12-2003 12:41 AM

I think this is highly individual from person to person.

Those of you familiar with the drumming genius of Gene Hoglan will agree that whatever bassdrum-technique he uses - it can't be that wrong and he's practically standing up while playing. That's how high he's got his throne...

BTW. Funny anecdote about Gene:

During the recording of the Death album entitled "Symbolic" from 1995 (fantastic album) Gene, who has always been fighting overweight and backproblems, weighed almost 400 lbs. (200 kg.) and couldn't walk by himself!

The other bandmembers had to carry him to his kit to record and then back in a couch during breaks in the recording session!!!

Try listening to the album and keep that in mind! Insane...

peter 07-16-2003 10:43 AM

I think 'v1rotate' is on the right track for your issue. Yes, your set-up is very individual. Vinnie used to sit only a foot off the ground at one time and got tremendous action with his feet so it will vary but he's changed his set-up since and I wonder if it does not have to do with the simple mechanics of circulation in the body. Follow 'v1rotate's' advice and by all means, everyone else's here. It all starts at the base and then moves on up.

v1rotate 07-20-2003 12:51 AM

If you're looking for power, don't sit too high, you want as much weight (your thighs) coming down on it like a hammer. Basically the most weight at the point of impact, that is when the thighs are level with the floor (ankles 90 degress to the thighs). I'm talking about heel up method here. But having said that, it's all very personal, this is what I used anyway.

luir1 07-20-2003 09:42 PM

Thank's guys for all your help you guys are very cool the info is very helpful,if you don't mind I have couple questions more.
1)Do anybody use weights on the ankles to make the ankles and legs more heavier.I've heard it'll make you faster is that true?

2)How do you warm up hands and feet before a live show if you have little time or almost no time to warm up?

Again thank's for your help!!

Lui

v1rotate 07-21-2003 08:37 AM

I usually warm up with a drum pad (very cheap) and some 3S sticks (those massive ones used by the drum corps which are heavier), when you then use your regular sticks, your hands just FLY!!!

alencore 07-23-2003 07:22 AM

weight ankles? yeah i've tried that. it does helps build strength and speed.