Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   double bass question (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=5992)

drummingman 05-09-2007 02:10 AM

double bass question

what technique does virgil use for fast single stroke double bass? and does anyone know what technique mike mangini uses for fast double bass? are there any vids that someone can post of both? i would really like to see what techniques they both use because im looking at different techniques for fast double bass drumming.
thanks.

scottevtv 05-09-2007 03:53 AM

Quit school or your job and practice like six hours a day.. lol.

C.J. 05-09-2007 04:30 AM

Virgil uses a technique based on ankles just as Mangini does. However, Mangini will use flat foot technique when going for his blistering speed.

Honestly though, you don't need to know what technique they use. I see this very often on messageboards, and I'll give the same answer as always:
Spend time behind your kit and just work at it. You body will dictate what technique is comfortable for itself. Just make sure you are sitting correctly, that your two legs are using the same motions and the most important - that you are not hurting yourself.

During an e-mail exchange, Don (D.Slam) wrote something that I totally agree with: you won't learn as much from watching videos than if you spend time actually practicing on the kit.

Good luck,
Christopher.

moonbabies 05-09-2007 04:47 AM

Mike's technique is flat foot since he usually plays singles @ 210bpm,Mike's technique is similar to Pete Drummond's btw Pete is lighting fast on both singles & double strokes!!!
As far as Virgil is concerned he mostly plays 200bpm single with heels up.

But go for CJ's advice

cjcdrums 05-09-2007 09:33 AM

Practice a lot. Observe your body mechanics to see if anything unnatural is going on. Think economy of motion, and CONTROL. Always focus on control.

Once you do this the speed will take care of itself. And I'm not just saying that, it really does.

drummingman 05-09-2007 07:05 PM

when you guys say that mike uses flat foot do you mean this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMAHphUTnk
or do you mean this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbhAepnLT3Y
they both call this flat foot so which flat foot do you guys mean that mike uses? and what is the technique that mike uses when he is not going fast.any vids would help if you know of any.
and c.j, when you say that mike and virgil use a technique based on ankles do you mean that they hold their heels just a little off the pedals and just use their ankles or do you mean something like in one of the vids that i posted or do you mean something else?

C.J. 05-10-2007 04:38 AM

Okay - Derek Roddy is basically running on the pedals, I guess it still is flat foot technique but it's his own adpatation of it. Derek has the same philosophy as me when it comes to this: just sit down and play and it will come to you. But he'd put it in the lines of "Shut up and play already!" lol.

Mike Mangini's technique when going for speed is more like Bostic's version. When Mike is "playing normally" he'd use a technique similar to Virgil's - ankle motion. All of this takes hours and years of practice to achieve. We are talking about drum demons here!

There is not much to say about Virgil's technique. There is no secret to Virgils stick grip or foot technique - a part from spending hours practicing. I guess you could describe it as "holding his heels just a little off the pedals and just use their ankles" but obviously leg mouvent will come into action.

I maintain what I said about sitting behind the kit and practicing. You are not Virgil, nor Mangini and therefore your body will have different comforts than theirs. This is why you must spend time feeling where YOUR comfort zone is in regards to playing double bass.

Good luck,
Christopher.

cjcdrums 05-10-2007 12:06 PM

Excellent advice C.J. =)

Now drummingman, no more questions till you've practiced another 100 hours! GO GO GO!

C.J. 05-10-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
Excellent advice C.J. =)

Now if only I had the excellent skills to go with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
Now drummingman, no more questions till you've practiced another 100 hours! GO GO GO!

Drum squadron go go go!!!

Drumblast 05-10-2007 07:27 PM

Technique is aquired thru repitition. And just when you saw the latest Monster Drummer Technique DVD, you will find even that guy doing something different in time. Technique constantly changes.

drummingman 05-10-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Okay - Derek Roddy is basically running on the pedals, I guess it still is flat foot technique but it's his own adpatation of it. Derek has the same philosophy as me when it comes to this: just sit down and play and it will come to you. But he'd put it in the lines of "Shut up and play already!" lol.

Mike Mangini's technique when going for speed is more like Bostic's version. When Mike is "playing normally" he'd use a technique similar to Virgil's - ankle motion. All of this takes hours and years of practice to achieve. We are talking about drum demons here!

There is not much to say about Virgil's technique. There is no secret to Virgils stick grip or foot technique - a part from spending hours practicing. I guess you could describe it as "holding his heels just a little off the pedals and just use their ankles" but obviously leg mouvent will come into action.

I maintain what I said about sitting behind the kit and practicing. You are not Virgil, nor Mangini and therefore your body will have different comforts than theirs. This is why you must spend time feeling where YOUR comfort zone is in regards to playing double bass.

Good luck,
Christopher.

thanks for the post man.it gave me some good info.

DVN Rocks 05-27-2007 12:35 PM

yeah quit school or job and pratice all day

lol