Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Virgil Donati Playalike! (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=5480)

K@rl 11-10-2006 09:09 AM

Virgil Donati Playalike!

Hello to all, yesterday i was checking few videos on the net, so i found Michael Duckworth he's an australian drummer.

Hes very good drummer and he's only 30 yers old.

Judge yoursef what i heard and think when i saw it. :confused:

Blessings! :) :cool:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...eoid=1100988706

kirk 11-10-2006 11:00 AM

He is good not nearly as good as Virg, but what I have a problem with is why try and cop EVERYTHING! someone else already did and when you cannot pull it off with the same proficiency. I mean it is one thing to be influenced by another drummer but to try and make every lick a carbon copy, what is the point. A little originality would be nice. Hat's off to him for getting as close as he has BUT! try and create your own voice.

K@rl 11-10-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
He is good not nearly as good as Virg, but what I have a problem with is why try and cop EVERYTHING! someone else already did and when you cannot pull it off with the same proficiency. I mean it is one thing to be influenced by another drummer but to try and make every lick a carbon copy, what is the point. A little originality would be nice. Hat's off to him for getting as close as he has BUT! try and create your own voice.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU MAN! :)

percusski 11-10-2006 02:16 PM

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, in that case Virgil will be very flattered. If there is ever a Virgil look-a-like, play-a-like competition this is the man. I mean hairstyle, the works. Whatever floats your boat i suppose.
After all how many drummers grew a mullet and wore muscle vests when Weckl hit the scene?
By all means learn from the greats, but try to develop your own identity.

Jameson 11-10-2006 02:23 PM

That guy is amazing! I think with a little bit more originality in his act, he could really explode as someone like Virgil.

Christopher 11-10-2006 06:47 PM

Great drummers coming outta Oz! Love it.

Matthias 11-11-2006 10:29 AM

Oh oh, really a ridiculous Virgil-copy!! But he's good, he's really good!!
But he shows none of the complexity Virgil has, and of course none of the creativity, being a copy:). I know, one can't compare drummers, especially with a Donati format drummer, but I can't help with this guy! He's kind of pleading to be compared with Virgil:D.

GroundZero 11-11-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias
Oh oh, really a ridiculous Virgil-copy!! But he's good, he's really good!!
But he shows none of the complexity Virgil has, and of course none of the creativity, being a copy:). I know, one can't compare drummers, especially with a Donati format drummer, but I can't help with this guy! He's kind of pleading to be compared with Virgil:D.

I can see Virgil influences, but only VISION kind of view. He has all Virgil videos and master classes, no doubt for it. BUT, I mean, listen his playing, is all around place. Yet good, but nowhere like Donati. Sure he has the motions worked out, but the sound is poor and the solo is uninteresting, that is only my view. Very good drummer but only by VISION. :)

Matthias 11-11-2006 05:42 PM

Of course nowhere like Virgil. Not in his dreams. And not to forget, Virgil Donati isn't just his master classes and technical solos...!

Drumblast 11-12-2006 08:14 AM

He is very good, however, drum solos are basically practice room routines. And when you play one like this, it's like there was no song that existed before the solo. I believe in a jazz mindset, play a solo with the form of the tune. This solo was like Virgil's contrived Soul Sirkus solo's---5 minute do everything possible solos. No development of a theme---just use ones from the practice room.

How many drummers get gigs(musical) because they do drum solos?

Matthias 11-12-2006 11:51 PM

Yeah you have a point!

RadZS 11-15-2006 10:21 AM

Yeah, he for sure has some Virgil licks in there. My favorite thing about this guy is his pics. He's a Mapex endorser right, well his drumset pic is a Pearl kit with a Mapex logo head. Funny stuff...

techristian 11-17-2006 04:49 AM

Good drumming but not Virgil. Everything was in 4/4. I didn't hear any 5 against 4 or 6 against 4 playing. Nice sounding feet though.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Matthias 11-17-2006 08:45 AM

To sum up, let's say he's a Virgil lookalike and not at all playalike, allthough he certainly is quite good.

DerNeue 11-19-2006 04:51 AM

I think he is good. But he has one problem. When he copies Virgil he has two problems: First he can not even get close to the original and when he could it would be scary and second the fact that he tries to copy Virgil that close it shows that he has real problems with his own identity. I do not mean to neg him but it does not seem as he has the self esteem to strive for his own playing.
In the last years me drumming has changed quite much from playing like Virgil and setting up my kit as he does and then realizing that I have to get to my own stuff and see Virgil as a man that encourages me to find my own unique style! And that should be what every drummer or muscician should look for! Finding your own style to honestly express yourself!