Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So very greatful. (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=4071)

toteman2 12-19-2005 11:07 PM

So very greatful.

For ever getting the chance to hear Virgil Donati express himself on the drums. Watching and listening to him, has in all honesty, changed my life. I always loved playing the drums, but ever since the day I first heard him play, it took things up a level.

I was just listening to Moon Babbies. First i would say it's some of the most (if not THE most) technicaly demanding material I've ever heard out of any (Drums, Bass, Guitar, Key) emsemble. Not really my cup of tea overall, but really can apreciate the musicianship from all of them. The drums however are just insane, technically and musically. But the sound of the drums on that CD are what i would consider perfect.

The new stuff from the Live @ TBP on the site is FANTASTIC! It really shows you Virgil's versatility. The man can lay down a serious groove, while reamaining techinically, and musically sound. He shows so much emotion in his playing and you can see how the rest of the band is really feeling it. Great stuff.

Last, I could Just rant on and on about how complex and groundbreaking his art is, but all of you already know that. I'm just greatful that I was able to find this guy one day by chance on the internet about 5 years ago. I feel i won the lotery.

Thank you Virgil for all your inspiration. Keep sending out the vibe.

Matthias 12-20-2005 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
The drums however are just insane, technically and musically. But the sound of the drums on that CD are what i would consider perfect.

I don't like the sound that much, for me the drumsound on OTV is perfect! I love the mix and the sound of all instruments on OTV anyway, so power- and beautyful!

percusski 12-20-2005 03:33 AM

The drum mix on Moon Babies is excellent, great to hear the kit panned left and right as if you are sitting right there behind the drums! Simon Phillips always gets an excellent drum sound.

frank 12-20-2005 06:05 AM

I totally agree with toteman2! Virgil's unbelievable! His playing is so complex and he's a very versatile drummer.. It's a real honor to watch or hear the man play!

I love the sound from MoonBabies too, way better than on the OTV record! But what about his sound on Joel Hoekstra's albums! The moon is falling is fantastic!

slamnovalis 12-20-2005 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank
I totally agree with toteman2! Virgil's unbelievable! His playing is so complex and he's a very versatile drummer.. It's a real honor to watch or hear the man play!

I love the sound from MoonBabies too, way better than on the OTV record! But what about his sound on Joel Hoekstra's albums! The moon is falling is fantastic!

Well said tote!

I agree with Mathias though. Moon Babies has a perfect drum sound, but it's just not the typical sound you hear coming from Virgil. It doesn't have that raw power that OTV or Just Add Water has. Don't forget the Alfie soundtrack too.

The sounds on the Hoekstra albums is fantastic, and I really like the way Sir Millard Mulch mixed his drums for the solo appearing on his CD. Nice and flat/"compressed" in a sense where everything is heard and stands out to hold itself. I guess you'd have to hear it to understand.

kirk 12-20-2005 09:34 AM

Yes the overall sound of Joel's album's(both of them) are Fantastic. The drum mix is even better than Moonbabies IMO, it is a bit beefier while still retaining the clarity. I guess much of the credit goes to T.J. Helmerich since he was behind the board for much of what was going on. He is a great engineer. And yes I feel the same way you do Toteman, well said.

toteman2 12-20-2005 05:13 PM

I love the opening to "Ignotum Per Ignotius". Those drums growl and sing so nice. Did anyone else notice Virgil uses a splash cymbal on this CD? I don't think I've sceen him use one before. Again, I'm ignorant to alot of his career.

frank 12-20-2005 05:30 PM

I think the Splash has been used before... I was more surprised by the cowbell in "Ground Zero"... I was surprised by that entire song btw! Sick stuff! :)

cjcdrums 12-20-2005 11:02 PM

Getting into Virgil Donati turned me into a serious drummer. Before then I didn't even bother improving my facility on the drums...

Kinetic drummer 12-20-2005 11:16 PM

yeah me too, the forum also helped a lot!

vdreignsuponus1 12-21-2005 10:09 AM

before him, i had no idea what the limits were. and now i know that they're endless! :)

lets see how far we can get..

Christopher 12-26-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
For ever getting the chance to hear Virgil Donati express himself on the drums. Watching and listening to him, has in all honesty, changed my life. I always loved playing the drums, but ever since the day I first heard him play, it took things up a level.

I was just listening to Moon Babbies. First i would say it's some of the most (if not THE most) technicaly demanding material I've ever heard out of any (Drums, Bass, Guitar, Key) emsemble. Not really my cup of tea overall, but really can apreciate the musicianship from all of them. The drums however are just insane, technically and musically. But the sound of the drums on that CD are what i would consider perfect.

The new stuff from the Live @ TBP on the site is FANTASTIC! It really shows you Virgil's versatility. The man can lay down a serious groove, while reamaining techinically, and musically sound. He shows so much emotion in his playing and you can see how the rest of the band is really feeling it. Great stuff.

Last, I could Just rant on and on about how complex and groundbreaking his art is, but all of you already know that. I'm just greatful that I was able to find this guy one day by chance on the internet about 5 years ago. I feel i won the lotery.

Thank you Virgil for all your inspiration. Keep sending out the vibe.

Very cool post. Thanks!!

For some reason it reminded me of Virgil's "The Nature of Drumming" :)

Right on!

Cesar 12-27-2005 09:49 AM

Chris, btw...can ya post that again?

I read it once, along time ago and REALLY liked it!

If possible, could ya!?

Cesar