Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Music and Everything Else (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   METROnome Alpha 1 (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=3923)

Svante 11-27-2005 03:52 AM

METROnome Alpha 2

I've written a freeware metronome that can be very handy for practising/performing.

Features:
- Supports any tempo / tempo variances
- Supports nearly every time signature (4/4, 7/8, 21/16, 65/64, whatever :P)
- Supports time signature sequences (I'm currently transcribing "The dance of eternity" by Dream Theater :P)
- Support triplets/shuffle
- Outputs through midi out, you can specify which drum sounds you like
- Different sounds for new bar, accented beat and non accented beat, just like a "real" drum-metronome.
- Size: 32 kb :D

Tips:
- 4/8s = 4/8 shuffle
- 4/8t = 4/8 triplets

Download:
http://temperantia.da.ru/Metronome.exe

This is the first alpha, so everything may not work perfectly yet, please write comments, bug reports, feature requests etc. in this thread. Enjoy!

TimeConsumer 11-27-2005 05:22 AM

Looks really really cool :)

mathcore 11-27-2005 06:02 AM

Really awesome,any plans to make a portable one???

PeteA 11-27-2005 10:19 AM

Pretty cool. I'd recommend writing some type of validation/error handling for the time sig text area so that the program doesn't take a dump when an invalid signature is typed.

Svante 11-27-2005 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcore
Really awesome,any plans to make a portable one???

Thanks, a portable like what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA
Pretty cool. I'd recommend writing some type of validation/error handling for the time sig text area so that the program doesn't take a dump when an invalid signature is typed.

Yea, as I said this is the first alpha, I'll work on the error handling for future versions, thanks for the feedback.

Svante 11-28-2005 05:13 AM

METROnome Alpha 2

Changes:
- Tap tempo button
- Changed the tempo input to a textbox that only takes integers, max is set to 9999.
- You can now set velocity for the sounds
- List-boxes for the MIDI-sounds
- Automatically fixes some common syntax errors in the time signature textbox
- Better error handler in the time signatures, shows an error message and continues to run instead of crashing
- MIDI device selector
- Completely implemented tempo change (the time signature 128/0 = tempo change to 128 BPM)
- In-program guide to the time signature syntax
- Packed with UPX, size is now 15 kb :D

Download:
http://temperantia.da.ru/Metronome.exe

DD_Timekeeper 11-28-2005 08:55 AM

Great job Svante! :-)

What about Load and Save buttons for save and recall different time signature sequences and sound combinations?

Really useful tool...
I'm also interested in a portable release (for PocketPC)...

Thanks again!

KarnEvil 11-28-2005 09:35 AM

Meh... i wish my metronome did all that... :(

does this thing do polyrhythms too? That would be really useful.

Svante 11-28-2005 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Timekeeper
Great job Svante! :-)

What about Load and Save buttons for save and recall different time signature sequences and sound combinations?

Really useful tool...
I'm also interested in a portable release (for PocketPC)...

Thanks again!

Yes, load and save is something that I've planned for later versions ;)

But.. I have never coded anything for pocketpc, but I'll check out what it takes sometime when I've got a lot of time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarnEvil
Meh... i wish my metronome did all that... :(

does this thing do polyrhythms too? That would be really useful.

That's a great suggestion, I'll look into adding such a feature. Do you have some suggestions how this could be done, and still keep it functionable?

KarnEvil 11-28-2005 02:21 PM

Well... You can have more than one time signature box so more than one time signature can be played at once. but will this affect bpm accuracy because of processing power?

PeteA 11-28-2005 05:01 PM

I do alot of debugging at work (I try to break applications :)) So I've been playing around with this one. I'll continue to post bugs as I run across them, if you don't mind.

Here's what I've found so far:

1. If the user sets tempo to 0, the time sig error is raised even if the time sig has been entered correctly.

2. In the above scenario, once the error is displayed, all textboxes remain locked so the user is unable to edit the tempo.

3. The "Tap Tempo" never resets itself after it's tapped the first time. You should prob have it reset after 4 or 5 seconds so that any tap after that is considered the first tap again. Also you could have it default to a minimum of 30 BPM if, while tapping, the calculation comes out to less than 30 (since most people will never use tempos this low and certainly not any lower)

4. This one's more of a request rather than a bug. When deleting or backspacing through the BPM box, it defaults to 0, and the cursor is placed behind the "0" so that if you then type 120, it turns out to be 1200. I would recommend either running the validation after "Start" is clicked, or changing it so that if all characters are deleted, it defaults to 30 but highlights all characters so that if anything else is typed, the 30 is completely overwritten.

By the way, it's looking pretty good. Nice job.

PolyOstinato 11-28-2005 08:50 PM

I'd love to check it out. How about a Mac OSX version? ;-)

Luke_Drummer 11-29-2005 01:57 PM

I think the Tama Rhythm watch is a good metronome (both versions) but at the end of the day, as long as it clicks and you can adjust its tempo, anythings good for me :P

Luke_Drummer 11-29-2005 01:59 PM

This is pretty sweet, i might just slap it on the laptop and use it for a while

TimeConsumer 12-06-2005 03:27 AM

Just a little note about the first version =)
When you set the time signature to 1/64 and the tempo to 5000 BPM,
it sounds like a bunch of spaceships shooting each other down. When you press stop, it doesn't stop, and when you re-start it, it goes even faster:)
Sounds like something I'd like to see Mangini giving a try at

TimeConsumer 12-06-2005 04:06 AM

Note: The same thing occures at version2 of the metronome. Use the settings I posted before and the thing goes like crazy and can't be stopped, unless when you use the tap function.

Edit: And hooray for post 100 =)

Svante 12-06-2005 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeConsumer
Just a little note about the first version =)
When you set the time signature to 1/64 and the tempo to 5000 BPM,
it sounds like a bunch of spaceships shooting each other down. When you press stop, it doesn't stop, and when you re-start it, it goes even faster:)
Sounds like something I'd like to see Mangini giving a try at

Don't try that at home kids :P

C.J. 12-06-2005 01:48 PM

Heh, it looks fun to participate in the evolution of a metronome!

I like your program Svante, keep the evos coming!