Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Buying Axis Doubles this week? should I buy 'A' or 'X' !!!!! (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=3334)

scottevtv 08-26-2005 01:41 PM

Buying Axis Doubles this week? should I buy 'A' or 'X' !!!!!

2 Attachment(s)
I am ready this week to make the purchase. It is still coming down to the wire. I don't know if I should buy the 'A' double or the 'X' double? The 'A' double I can get for $499, the 'X' double I can get for $399. The only difference between the 'A' and the 'X' are: 1) The Vari Drive Lever 2) The heavy duty springs. 3) The Sonic Hammers. I have heard people say that they don't really like the Sonic Hammers, that they prefer the Marksman ones that come the 'X' line. I can always buy the Heavy springs also. It comes down to the VDL. I know Bostic said the pedal angle is steeper not having the VDL, so the toe spacers might not even be needed with the 'X'... Again I am ordering them on Monday and I still don't know which one to get.. Help! ;)

Jameson 08-26-2005 02:11 PM

I wish I could help - I was actually pondering the same question.

scottevtv 08-26-2005 04:00 PM

I guess I could always buy the Markman beaters...

pcannon 08-26-2005 06:45 PM

Or just buy the best..............SONOR GIANT STEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scottevtv 08-26-2005 06:59 PM

for real..

Bostic 08-26-2005 07:30 PM

This is just one of those situations where you have to pick something and go with it. Almost everyone buys the A series because they are the higher end of the two and are more adjustable. If you've never really played an Axis pedal much you don't have anything to compare it to. Thus it's really hard to explain the overall feel between the two designs. My first Axis pedals were 2 X series shortboard singles that I used for a couple years. That's all that Guitar Center usually stocks from Axis and I figured I wanted something close to my Tama Camcos but with the fixed linkage. Since I didn't play heel toe I didn't give a second thought to the longboard design. So over time I became used to how they feel and what to expect when I step down on the pedals.

Near the end of 2002 I had saved up some money and figured why not try the A longboards since everyone was using them. When they arrived what I noticed right away was the leverage was different. Still ultra smooth and quiet and fast but my feet didn't feel the same at all. I kept them and would make changes from time to time to the position of the variable drive lever. However since I had spent a few years on the X style I never really got used to the difference and ended up going back to my X shortboards. A few months later I put the Longboards on the X series and have stuck with them.

In my own definition of feel the X series is more 'direct' then the A series. When I spoke to Darrell at Axis about this he mentioned what it must be. That the sweet spot on the design of the X is when the beater strikes the head where as on the A series it's shortly before the beater reaches the head. Combine that with a small size diameter beater like the marksman, my feet needed to push down farther than where it 'felt' they should stop to hit the drum heads. The Sonic Hammer design corrects that feeling since it sticks forward more than traditional beaters. That design is not for me however. Darrell also provided some tips on how to make the A series feel like the X but it involves still using the Sonic Hammer beaters.

I think the toe risers mentioning has somewhat planted a train of thought in everyone. Because now everyone thinks buy the Axis A longboards and you need the toe risers or else you will not care for how low the footboard height is. In my opinion Axis A pedals without the toe risers are still a vast improvement over what any other companies offer, provided you are looking for the feel and precision of a fixed linkage pedal.

From a logical gut feeling point of view, get the A series. They offer the leverage adjustability advantage with the Variable drive lever, have the extra bearings in them and if you end up disliking them, they always sell on ebay. So it's not like you're going to be stuck with them.

Regardless of which series you pick it's going to take some time to adjust to them. Pretty much every drummer who posts on message boards who can play fast on their current pedals will say the same thing, "Wow these pedals are so fast, playing over 220 is a piece of cake!" Then the next day or two reality sets in and then comes the "Wow I can't control these pedals at all, what's going on here!!??" It's like new year's resolutions of going on a diet or quitting smoking, you have to want it bad enough to get over that hump to reap the benefits.

cjcdrums 08-26-2005 08:47 PM

Wow, epic post, Bostic!

I laughed, I cried.... :D :D :D

scottevtv 08-26-2005 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Awesome!! Thanks man. I am getting the "X" Longboard doubles. I made my final decison. I just want a real simple set up where I can play 210-220 BPM. That is really all my band calls for. I really like the way the Marksman beaters look. That is the exact style beater I like.. I can't wait!

Ken Kaniff 08-27-2005 12:04 AM

Bostic, a very informative post.

D. Slam 08-27-2005 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottevtv
I am ready this week to make the purchase. It is still coming down to the wire. I don't know if I should buy the 'A' double or the 'X' double? The 'A' double I can get for $499, the 'X' double I can get for $399. The only difference between the 'A' and the 'X' are: 1) The Vari Drive Lever 2) The heavy duty springs. 3) The Sonic Hammers. I have heard people say that they don't really like the Sonic Hammers, that they prefer the Marksman ones that come the 'X' line. I can always buy the Heavy springs also. It comes down to the VDL. I know Bostic said the pedal angle is steeper not having the VDL, so the toe spacers might not even be needed with the 'X'... Again I am ordering them on Monday and I still don't know which one to get.. Help! ;)

Hey, scottevtv,

I've played both pedals. And as you might already know, I have the Axis A Longboard. I'll tell you this much, the VDL makes a world of difference and puts the 'A' in a whole other league Than the 'X'. There's really no comparison. That's how I feel anyway. If you haven't had the chance to compare them, I suggest you try and do so before making your decision. The VDL is surely one of the features that puts this pedal over the top, not just from other brands but it's own kind, also!

It's like a 4 and 6 cylinder vehicle, you WILL definately notice the peformance difference. If you're trying to save money, I would suggest you compare the 'A' Longboard with the 'A' Shortboard. I've played this pedal also and for me, it feels as good as the Longboard since I play with my heels up anyway, and I would think it costs less money. I saw a used double 'A' Shortboard for $250.00. It didn't have the Sonic beaters and It's not quite as versitile for the person that likes to switch between heels up and heels down. So if you're one of these people, this is something you'd probably want to consider.

The 'X' isn't a bad pedal but the 'A' leaves it in the dust and that's the reason behind the price difference for sure... Beaters are a snap to change... For me, the Sonic beaters are simply too heavy and produce a very unsolid, boomy sound on the bass drum. But some people obviously like them and you might too. In any case, my suggestion would be to go with the 'A' series... If you can afford it, do it!

D.

P.S. Also, do some shopping around... You could most likely get a better deal on some of these online stores. My wife paid $450.00 out the door for mine.

D. Slam 08-27-2005 03:28 AM

Check this page out, scottevtv... You have to consider shipping cost don't forget...

http://search.ebay.com/axis-pedal_W...ssPageNameZWLRS

scottevtv 08-27-2005 09:39 AM

Wow, now I really don't know which to get! lol... I know one thing I am buying new. I am not buying used. If something strips or breaks I want to punch myself in the face. I can't take a chance that someone over tightened or something. The thing that really is a bummer is no stores carry the pedals in stock so I can't try them. I just have to pick a model and hope It is the best one..

scottevtv 08-27-2005 09:44 AM

Hey Bostic if I get the 'A's you said I can set them to feel like the 'X'. on the sonic hammers should the beater be further forward than the shaft or a little further back and about where should I have the VDL set??

scottevtv 08-27-2005 01:42 PM

I am just getting the 'A' I made up my mind.. I can always duplicate the settings to make it feel like an 'X'

scottevtv 08-28-2005 09:37 AM

Now I am geting the 'X' because I have heard really good things about the Marksman beaters. I just want a real simple set up. I can't wait till they arrive at my door step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!