Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can't make up my mind, help! (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=2937)

C.J. 06-15-2005 02:35 AM

Can't make up my mind, help!

Hi all!

Recently I've been thinking a lot about purchasing another bass drum it's really ennoying because I can't make up my mind about setting up a double bass set or staying with a simple bass set-up.

Would some of you help me out with your opinions/questions I should keep in mind while making my choice/other...

Maybe this will help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance,
Me.

jimi 06-15-2005 04:23 AM

Do you travel much with your drums?

frank 06-15-2005 05:15 AM

For the show it's probably cooler to have a double bassdrum set-up, but I'd just buy one bassdrum with twinpedal, and with the money you save buy some more cymbals or something.

IronCobraMan 06-15-2005 08:43 AM

if ur a triggered player then yes 2 kicks ....but thats the only real advantage to 2 bassdrums.... if ur not playing death metal , one kick should be jus fine.... but 2 kicks look bad the fuk asssssss

43%dillinger 06-15-2005 08:49 AM

i agree with frank with money business. im actually going to sell my second bass drum for twin pedal pretty soon cuz moving it is just a pain in the buttocks. i was afraid getting a double pedal would make it more uncomfortable for the left foot to play double bass but i think ive seen enough pros to prove that its quite possible.

alencore 06-15-2005 11:26 AM

if you have a big drum platform or drum room then why not go
for the full 2 bass drum set-up. also if you play lots of double bass
a direct hit of the left pedal to a bass drum just feel so
darn sweet imo.

C.J. 06-15-2005 12:59 PM

I don't play death metal, but I'm into the metal vibe: Angra, Symphony X, Rage etc...

My project with my guitarist is a power metal project, so yes quite a lot double bass is involved. My idea, if I go for the double bass set-up would be a Raymond Herrera type set-up (the old one).

Thanks for you help and advice, keep 'em coming friends!

alencore 06-16-2005 11:10 AM

so there you have it. two bass drum will make your
current project look classic kick ass long haired metal rock band!
aside making the drum-set feel so balanced.
Man I envy you already! hehe...

Where is she 06-16-2005 11:12 AM

How would you set up your toms C.J.?

C.J. 06-16-2005 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I'll be going for.

C.J. 06-21-2005 06:14 AM

Yahoo, I'm going over to Germany to get the set this summer! Either Sonor 3005's or Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau's!

Me happy.

alencore 06-21-2005 12:20 PM

wow! get the Yamaha!

C.J. 06-21-2005 02:00 PM

Yeah, I've got a slight preference for the Yam, because the brand's hardware is indestructible and has many choices availeble...

IronCobraMan 06-21-2005 02:11 PM

nice setup cj...but u should take it to the next level...get a remote hi-hat on ur right side...and another floor tom on ur leeft....and learn to play open handed....thats eventually wat im aiming for... jus dont got the cash right now

C.J. 06-21-2005 02:48 PM

Eventually that is what I'll do. I'm already playing open handed and I'm going to stick this way. I'd get a remote hat to do it Mangini style, but I only have enough for that set-up for now.

Cheers Metal Snake,
Me.

DavidPartay 06-21-2005 05:10 PM

Get a Sleishman bassdrum.

Custom made to YOUR specifications. They're a freefloating design - there's nothing bolted into the shell. They sound fantastic. One day I'm going to own a 6 ply rock maple kit - including a 22"x20" bassdrum :D :D :D :D.

I'm also getting a 14"x6.5" Jarrah snaredrum for my birthday. I can't wait *dribble* only 17 days til I get my snaredrum!!!! Also I'm turning 21... but... SLEISHMAN SNAREDRUM!!!!!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

Now I'm all excited again!!

al_the_drummer 06-21-2005 05:15 PM

get another bd, go for it, it looks so cool!

D. Slam 06-21-2005 06:34 PM

Some other advantages to playing double bass drums is it centers you. With a single kick one tends to be cocked to the left a bit (with a right handed setup). Another thing is it's different playing two separate independant pedals than playing a single double kick pedal. You must weigh the differences and decide for yourself which is right for you.

Personally, I think Dave Weckl has the perfect idea for the use of two bass drums. Use two different size drums, put a double pedal on each one with a single beater on the far right one. This gives you the best of all worlds:

1. You can play double bass on a single drum as if having two bass drums that are the same size.

2. You can alternate double bass and get two different tonal and pitches qualities.

3. You can choose to play one or the other and have two different tonal and pitches qualities at your disposal.

4. Depending what sizes you choose, you can use any one given bass drum for a specialized gig, i.e. jazz combo. Who says you must ALWAYS use them both?!

So you can see that there are several advantages to having and playing two bass drums. It just takes a little thinking through is all.

D.

C.J. 06-22-2005 02:56 AM

Actually, I'm planning on setting this up with a double Pedal:

I'll seperate the two (i.e. put the beater on the slave side, move the spring to that side and get rid of the rod) pedals for the double bass set-up. And if I ever have a gig, like some funk/bossa or what ever... I'll just take one kick and the double pedal put back together.

I like the idea of being more balance with this kind of set-up.

Cheers,
Me.