Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   tilted snare? (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=239)

kyrah 09-25-2003 01:22 PM

tilted snare?

when after our little "summer break" I got back to our rehearsal room yesterday, I noticed that the drummer had changed the position of the snare - which is now tilted away from the player (where the "normal" position would be tilted towards the player). Not only does this look quite odd, it also makes hitting the snare a lot harder... IMO.
Could any of you drummers explain the possible advantages of this snare positioning --- since the only explanation I've got thus far is that someone named Steve Smith also plays with his snare tilted away from him?
I'd be very glad to hear that there's a technical reason for this ;)

peter 09-25-2003 02:34 PM

It's all about rim shots, Kyrah.
In the old days, it was the norm.

BrettLee 09-25-2003 09:54 PM

Does it have anything to do with Trad gripping? Cause I think legends like Buddy or Krupa does the same tilting on their snares... Makes me wonder...

peter 09-26-2003 05:08 AM

In the old days, remember that "traditional"
was THE approach - thus the phrase. It was
"traditional" for all drummers to play that way.

kyrah 09-26-2003 11:37 AM

Hi Peter, thanks for your answer to my question. So, rimshots are easier to play that way - but what about other playing techniques (where the use of the rim is not intended)? Don't these become a lot harder to perform? And if it was the norm way back, why was it changed?

peter 09-26-2003 01:13 PM

Yes, they do. In the old days,
they were ALWAYS used. It's
best utilized for trad. I prefer
matched, having switched
from trad, after 25 years.

I tell drummers that if trad
were best, we'd be utilizing it
on both hands. That's hardly
ever seen, except for show.

Of course, I don't want to
start a war about trad versus
non. Everybody will make their
choice and for their reasons.

Don't get me wrong. A LOT
of players are using it but
Virgil himself said it in that
chat from earlier this year.

If you play trad, you will do
better, getting rimshots, with
a tilt away from you.

As for why trad started to
fade, it has to do with what
it was like when drummers
marched before armies. It's
hard to walk, with a drum
parallel and in front of you.

They used to play on their
sides. That hand had an easy
time striking it but the oppos-
ing hand had a ***** of a
time and thus, the trad
method of playing the snare.

Whatever feels comfortable
and whatever gets the job
done better. That's what I
suggest. Good luck.

DavidPartay 09-28-2003 07:18 PM

I used to play matched grip with the snaredrum as low as possible and titled away from me because otherwise I would hit my legs and I hate having it tilted towards me. This position worked great for me, since doing consistent rimshots with no effort is quite necessary for punk rock ;).

Now since then I got a new kit with a new Gibraltar Rock snaredrum stand, and it doesn't go as low, so while I was still playing matched I had it as flat as it would go with the slight tilt not directly towards me.

But since I'm playing traditional now I'm having it tilted mostly sidewards.

alencore 10-06-2003 07:42 AM

FOR THE MATCH GRIP DRUMMERS here is a little tip...

everybody knows if you wanna stay fit playing drums make sure you get the best position and tilting the snare high or low for better rimshot is a good way to start.

one way to get an idea if your snare is set properly to your playing style is just remove the snare and hold a stick then watch your hand do a backbeat stroke and once on the down stroke, pause there and check the position. now try to remember that and simply bring back the snare drum and adjust the snare tilt or the height.

my snare used to be set a little high above my waste and tilted a lot lower down until i notice the way John Bonham hit his backbeats rimshot which btw sounds so sweet. i studied it carefully looking at his videos and mimic the position. i play match grip and with a lower snare drum with a small amount of tilt downwards somehow made things easier and more comfortable lessening the strains on my left hand witch at times do get sore playing heavy rock backbeats.

of course some snare stands won't let you set up low or if you are using a very huge snare drum and that's where tilting it down comes handy.

Poncho 10-06-2003 02:43 PM

I believe matched grip got very popular once everyone saw Ringo Starr and the Beatles. Everyone wanted to be like him.

alencore 10-07-2003 05:08 AM

i agree.

timthedrummer 10-13-2003 09:12 PM

yeh everyone wanted to be ringo
can i guess who everyone wants to be now??!!

Lucius 10-14-2003 10:20 PM

I agree with yor comment about everyone wanting to be like Ringo, but i also think Bonham was quite an influence on people using matched grip too.

Milo Porto 10-14-2003 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by timthedrummer
yeh everyone wanted to be ringo
can i guess who everyone wants to be now??!!

VIRGIL! :D
hmmmm...now everybody wants to be VIRGIL RINGO

alencore 10-15-2003 07:45 AM

Virgil Star...hehe

or

Ringo Donati...rotfl!

Matthias 01-25-2005 12:31 AM

Strange how Ringo and Virgil can possibly be brought in connection...!