Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   the deal on double bass speed (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=1529)

GreenPremier 12-01-2004 10:55 PM

I'm sorry, got a little carried away. Have you guys heard Sammy J Watson of the apex theory? He's a mastermind. I highly recommend this band.

blueturnswhite 12-07-2004 04:21 PM

this is silly.....just play your drums and have fun. I play in a pretty heavy band, nothing like any of those mentioned here. As long as i can hang with my guitar players, I am doing ok. I would love to play 700 bpms but i would rather play music on stage with my band...that is all

IronCobraMan 12-14-2004 09:12 AM

this board wasnt for people who wanna ***** about how speed isnt important... it was for people who might want advice on practicing to improve speed and control....

anyone who would call me a speed drummer and say that is my only focus is the idiot... my practicing routines are so varied.... speed and control take up about 50 % of my routine ....

and drumblast.... i read that lil comment u posted.... i wasnt bragging, i was simply stating facts..... and what i said about yeung and roddy.... there are parts in hate eternal and other bands where these drummers try and break it down so to speak...and suck at it... no groove , jus speed.... im sorry if i insulted ur lil death metal icons....

IronCobraMan 12-14-2004 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmarot
...and maybe do you pretend that i believe in this???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

u dont have to beleive me , when i manage to get video proof , ill post, until then think wat u want i dont care.... wat matters to me is wat i do.... i practice very hard at playing at high speeds with perfect control and pitch.... and its paid off....

Xen- 12-14-2004 01:13 PM

Strict administration is required, Chris!

Drumgooroo 12-14-2004 03:17 PM

That tears it...

You all talk about speed and double bass and blah blah blah... you guys talk about control... you talk about this that and the other.... well there is something you guys forget about.... what about feel? Isn't that important to any of you? You can sit down and wail the **** out of the drums and play super fast and do all kinds of ****... but you gotta feel it. It's really about what feels good. If it feels comfortable to do some double bass drum stuff here and there... then do it! Stop *****ing about guys who obsess over speed. If they want to be fast.. they let them be... I know I have sat down and practiced building speed on the double bass doing different exercises besides you cheesy sixteenth note crap. Why don't you guys try doing some double stroke and triple stroke? That is the real challenge.. Virgil D. is the one that inspired me to learn to make the feet just like the hands.. there's nothing wrong with it... The hard work pays off... So the point of this whole little rant is... feel the music... and if you wanna learn double bass.. learn all about the double bass... not just running sixteenths... I'm sick of hearin it! So how bout going home and put the metronome on... and how bout impressing me when you get famous from a new idea or thought about double bass drumming.
P.S.: he said something about starting slow... start at about 40 bpm to really get the motion locked in for your body to understand exactly what you're doing. That is the first step to really forming excellent technique in double bass drumming.

pcannon 12-14-2004 05:46 PM

Just a thought- Drummers get hired for their "style" Or catalog ( what they can play & what styles they can play) or expertise. I've NEVER heard a band or guitar player say " I hired so-and-so for their SPEED".

cjcdrums 12-14-2004 07:38 PM

Holy crap- it's OFFICIAL. Drumgooroo has genuinely lost it and it's only his first post. WOW. Dude, ask your doctor if prescription PROZAC is right for you. Anyway, so yeah, I'm working on my double bass and what I think my problem is I try to groove too much.. Do you think maybe I should replace my rides and hi-hats for a few more chinas? Yeah, I'm too preoccupied with silly things like feel... That's not very important, after all. :p

cjcdrums 12-14-2004 08:42 PM

Great Point, cjc. Feel is a lame cop-out for speed, made famous by sweaty crap-eaters like Steve Gadd and Elvin Jones. Who do they think they are, anyways? Those inane fatasses thought they could bash the skins but they were just jealous of Joey Jordison LOL. The only REAL professional drummers are those who can play unison 64th notes to Nu-Grind-Death-Polka-Core Metal, Like me.

IronCobraMan 12-14-2004 10:23 PM

lol..........

was polka really necessary.....

hey u know wat i havent listened to in a while...wierd al yankovic....

pcannon 12-15-2004 03:02 AM

weird Al should do a Dream theater song! Now that would be funny!

scott h 12-15-2004 03:33 AM

i can do 3,402,492 bpm for 3920432 hours. I'll post a video to prove it produced by steven spielberg and directed by Martin Scorcese.
Why am i not rich?
Why am i not famous?

IronCobraMan 12-15-2004 11:50 AM

lol... see all this sarcasm.... wat u dudes dont understand is, pushing urself to the limit is wat makes u go further.... in all aspects of playing.... i jus so happen to be in a speed , endurance faze...i tend to fluxuate throughout the seasons.... maybe my next faze will be a playing simple boring **** and bash actual talent on a message board :)

cjcdrums 12-15-2004 06:47 PM

ez there.... dude... i am in the same... faze as u... lol...
Dear Friend, if you can do what you claim to be able to do, then you should be eating up all this sarcasm. You of all people should understand and relate to that kind of humor. The way I am on this board stems directly from the experiences that I share in common with you guys- endless hours of practice on the kit and studying the masters in action. I enjoy being sarcastic, and I think it's damn funny (when I do it.) I definitely respect all facets of drumming, which is why I am sarcastic about this stuff ONLY TO THOSE WHO CAN APPRECIATE IT, i.e. you guys. I wouldn't tell anyone else drum gods like Gadd and Virgil suck, because it couldn't be further from the truth- and you guys can appreciate humor like that because you know otherwise. And I do push my self to my limits, because I'm a very serious drummer. We at this board should be able to assume that that is the case with almost everyone here. Now, my esteemed collegues and bretheren, let us UNITE together to form a STRONGER AMERICA! Come, let us suck on the beer of tranquility!

pcannon 12-15-2004 08:31 PM

That acually brought a tear to my eye and made the flag on the front of my house start waving wildly! Proud to be an american!