Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   the deal on double bass speed (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=1529)

IronCobraMan 09-27-2004 12:31 AM

the deal on double bass speed

this thread has gotten close to 3500 views.... i diserve some sort of prize:D

alencore 09-27-2004 10:27 AM

shaaattaaaapp!!!...hahhaha!!!

IronCobraMan 09-27-2004 10:33 AM

hey if u dont like it, dont go in the tips and technique section of this website u dorky bastard

Adam 09-27-2004 11:01 AM

I think alencore just means that there've been countless posts on this topic

Fede 09-28-2004 04:41 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Thomas Haake is not playing on the Meshuggah track "War". The drums on that track are programmed (samples from Drumkit From Hell, so yes - in one sense it is still Thomas).

I think there's another track on "Raretrax" where Thomas is playing pretty fast. That and the new EP "I" have the fastest double bass from Mr. Haake, I think...

alencore 09-28-2004 04:45 PM

hahaha, yes there's too much topic about that i can't help it but wacked it out.

anyway your tips Iron are all appreciated. i infact apply some of those you mentioned. PEACE!

Lad. 09-28-2004 07:13 PM

I do not care about speed, boys, I worry about control and considerable speed.
Being able to throw quick triplets into a double bass solo is one of my dreams.
As well as laying down some insane polyrythms.
If I had more cymbals, I would enjoy trying it much more.

IronCobraMan 09-28-2004 09:41 PM

u serious ? **** thats a disappointment, none the less, haake, one of my #1 inspirations along with virgil of course.... yea "I" is a killer song man, i love that old school thrash **** they throw in there at the end, total badass-ness

ataraxia 10-19-2004 07:10 AM

the only thing that makes a good drummer is doing fast double bass, like 16 notes at 300bpm. that is the only thing that makes a song metal .... :rolleyes:

no seriously, i know exactly what you're talking about. the amount of arguements i've had with slayer fans, saying lombardo is the best because he's the fastest is infuriating. simply fast double bass is lazy, and is creatively so lacking. of course there are times when it is perfect and suits a song, but i've played with so many one trick ponies.

thanks for the tips! CONTROL is the key. speed will come from that.

jonberg 10-19-2004 10:28 AM

I think it's very sad that alot of drummers go into the speed thing so hard. What will speed actually do for your career?? Don't you think there's more to drumming than speed?
I know some of you guys may be upset with what I'm saying, but thats just my opinion. It seems that speed is something that is important in your teens, I've been there too, but seriously, NO ONE will hire you for a gig (except maybe for a hardcore trash metal band) for how fast you can play. This topic has been up for so many times now and the conclusion on most of them all is that CONTROL is the thing that must be acquired. WHY oh WHY is speed so important?!?!?!?

bootdogs 10-19-2004 11:33 AM

Well said dude, however, I also agree with what jonberg said. Playing the simple 2 and 4 is all you need most of the time! :)

Drumblast 10-19-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobraMan
lemme say one thing first... people who over obsess on one aspect of drumming (speed) dont ever really excel at much .....

i mean , look at the top speed guys.... pete sandoval, derek roddy, tim yeung....these guys are the top double bassists in the game but when they gotta get down and dirty and rip some bad ass thrash drumming , they funkin blow!

and honestly i dont wanna brag.... but , on single strokes on double bass....
i go up to 350 bpm with 16th notes... thats the same speed as mr.fastest drummer in the world.... altho i can do it for about 8 seconds...as opposed to a whole minute :P:P:P .....

A couple of points to ponder....

"People who obsess over one aspect of drumming like double bass speed don't ever excel.." Sounds like you are talking about yourself, since this post is about as close to obsessing over double bass speed than any other.

Have you heard or seen Derek and Tim play thrash or anything else? If so, where and who were they playing with.

Oh, if you don't wanna brag, then don't.

Sorry if I offended you, but I don't see the point you are trying to make. :o

Fede 10-19-2004 04:01 PM

Well, we don't have to settle for one instead of the other, do we?

It's OK to like it fast, difficult and loud.....because - it just is. It's cool. It feels good. It just does - no shame in admitting that...BUT. Speed alone is just one thing out of a million. And speed without control is nothing (some people have a name for this: Tim Waterson) :)

So I definately feel along with Jonberg and others, that speed is too much of a focus for many people, but on the other hand....it IS cool....just don't forget about the all the other great things about playing music!

ecliptica 10-20-2004 10:06 AM

well even if this subject had been up several times is sure can be helpful to a lot of people..
To be able to use your creativity freely the way you like you may need to be able to play at a certain speed, but that doesn't for f*cks sake make you obsessed with speed. Many people that i've spoken to at forums and stuff seem to have a hard time getting good at double bass playing. Often people don't know how to start or how to proceed or what they're doing and then it can be really helpful with some tips.
So I think it's great with people that are willing to help.

D.W.A. 10-20-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumblast
A couple of points to ponder....

"People who obsess over one aspect of drumming like double bass speed don't ever excel.." Sounds like you are talking about yourself, since this post is about as close to obsessing over double bass speed than any other.

Have you heard or seen Derek and Tim play thrash or anything else? If so, where and who were they playing with.

Oh, if you don't wanna brag, then don't.

Sorry if I offended you, but I don't see the point you are trying to make. :o

ive seen his tape...he could prob make 350bpm singles.........but their also weak like mr fastest drummer in the world...take away the triggers....and there ya have it