Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NEW Drum Video...Check it! (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=1414)

bootdogs 09-07-2004 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnovalis
not to beat a dead horse or drag this any further, but i'll say that i strongly disagree, because i downloaded those videos about two days after they were up online and a week later, i wanted to show a friend, went over his house and downloaded them on his pc as well.

but whatever you say, dude :eek:

I agree with you slam, that same link also showed up on another website not too long ago and I could download the vids. Anyway, it's down now...at least we know someone who would maybe share amongst us :)

C.J. 09-08-2004 05:00 AM

What I find funny about all of this, concerning the debate on Nevesis' shreding, is that one minute I'm on this message board reading that some drummers are being called lame because they "haven't got any chops" like Portnoy or Lars... The next I'm reading about a guy who shreds around the drum kit and who's being called the same because he has to many chops... :$

Johnny 09-08-2004 07:35 AM

Um, if you downloaded the booltlegged videos, then you really have no call to criticize the guy that posted them...

kirk 09-08-2004 09:45 AM

There is no one being called lame for TOO many or too little chops. It has nothing to do with chops, too many or too little, that is very vague at best and it sure is not the what many of these posts are about. Let's put a little more time into reading the posts. Again let us repeat, if someone ASK'S for feedback than some will give it constructively. There are some guy's on this board who have played for awhile been down this road and have a little wisdom to give if asked for it, whether it is about technique or chops, taste, gigging, business, stylisitic balance etc. When I see someone ask for feedback I take them serious even though I rarely reply back, problem is many say it but really do not want it(that is if it is not complimentary). And Portnoy and Ulrich are irrelevent to this topic. And Virgil's material being ripped off is VERY serious and rightly so has a few guy's ticked off. It need's not happen again.

D. Slam 09-08-2004 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis
I do not need to defend myself anymore then what I stated. Your a tool, and can pick me apart as much as you would like, but your not the one actually going places with their talent. :)


WOW! I don't believe this!!! nevesis has the guts to put his stuff on the line for all of us to hear and all you guys can do is rip him apart?!

personally nevesis, I say it's because of your talent. I've been playing drums longer than most have been alive here and what you did is VERY GOOD! What you did took guts because it opens you up for these kinds of malicious, cruel and senseless attacks. These folks are the ones that you will never hear anything from because they're too busy jealously destroying that which is good. And I'm telling you, YOUR DRUMMING IS GOOD!

Anybody who knows anything about doing ANYTHING knows that everything you do requires technique! Everyone uses technique! Hell, you use technique when you brush your fricken teeth for crying out loud... The question is, is it good or is it bad.

Frankly, I'm suspect about ones ability that can make a full spectrum, conclusive judgement of someone's talent just from looking and listening to a one minute video/audio clip.

My advice to you, nevesis.... Just keep doing what you're doing! You should always expect to be blasted by some who wish they had the talent you did. I bet if you had lied and sent that in as an audio clip that you aquired of Virgil practicing, they'd all be going nuts by now.

Anyway, as an artist, you CANNOT let this garbage bother you. Some of it will always spill from the can... I for one loved what you did. I've been playing drums for 37 years and I can say without any reservation that you inspire me!

I viewed the one clip. the clip was what it was. I figured you didn't groove because you probably didn't want to, plain and simple. I made no pre assumptions that you couldn't. I'm assuming you did just what you wanted to do at that given time. There is no way me or anyone else can judge your overall playing ability as a drummer on THAT one single clip. It was all good with me...

Maybe a few of these ridiculing know it alls can show you what THEY'RE workin' with.... though I doubt it.

Keep up the great work nevesis!

Don.

D. Slam 09-08-2004 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterad
Hey Evan, sorry to see your getting ripped up here, but the more you act like a tough guy saying how were all not as good as you just because we are not impressed with 1000 mile per hour non stop drum fills, the more it proves our point and shows your immaturity as a drummer.
I promise I can out play you any day of the week, I studied extensively with Alan Dawson till right before he died, and then Gary Chaffee. I bet you have no idea who those guys are, do you? They taught some of the greatest players in drumming history. The FIRST thing they both told me is that speed and power mean nothing, and they were totally right. You need to actually say something with feeling on the drums otherwise it gets tired real fast. Ever see Steve Gadd attempt to blow his load like that? Nope! Jeff Pocaro? Nope! John Bonham? Never! Even Vinnie Colaiuta and Dave Weckl use it in moderation, and play with feeling. Virgil himself would tell you you need to relax a bit with the agressive drumming. Im not saying this as an insult, but you are still young and you will someday (hopefully) know when to use your chops. Till then, your only going to impress younger guys like your self and GOD FORBID a record exec ever hears you play like that, youll kill any chances of your band ever getting signed.

So, no more tough guy threats about being face to face, int he mean time, go back to playing high school talent shows and guitar center drum offs, ok little man?


"The FIRST thing they both told me is that speed and power mean nothing,"

Hmmmm. Someone forgot to tell that to Billy Cobham, Dennis Chambers, Virgil Donati, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Gary Husband, Tony Williams, Lenny White, Buddy Rich..... Need I go on?! We've heard their work And know their contributions to the world of music.

"Speed and power"? What Mahavishnu Orchestra or "Return To Forever" record did Alan Dawson ever play on?

"Speed and power mean nothing"!!!!??? Nothing?! You might want to consider rethinking that one. I find it really hard to fathom that they actually told you that. And if they did, I find it even more astonishing that you believed it.

The fact is, the only time "speed and power means nothing" is when you choose not to be fast and powerful..... Any takers?

Don.

P.S. Oh, peterad, speaking of Steve Gadd's speed and power playing, I take it you've never heard him on Stanley Clarks "Journey To Love" Album. Wait till you hear the load he blows on that record.

slamnovalis 09-08-2004 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny
Um, if you downloaded the booltlegged videos, then you really have no call to criticize the guy that posted them...


well, that all depends. i say "negative."

nevesis 09-08-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Slam
WOW! I don't believe this!!! nevesis has the guts to put his stuff on the line for all of us to hear and all you guys can do is rip him apart?!

personally nevesis, I say it's because of your talent. I've been playing drums longer than most have been alive here and what you did is VERY GOOD! What you did took guts because it opens you up for these kinds of malicious, cruel and senseless attacks. These folks are the ones that you will never hear anything from because they're too busy jealously destroying that which is good. And I'm telling you, YOUR DRUMMING IS GOOD!

Anybody who knows anything about doing ANYTHING knows that everything you do requires technique! Everyone uses technique! Hell, you use technique when you brush your fricken teeth for crying out loud... The question is, is it good or is it bad.

Frankly, I'm suspect about ones ability that can make a full spectrum, conclusive judgement of someone's talent just from looking and listening to a one minute video/audio clip.

My advice to you, nevesis.... Just keep doing what you're doing! You should always expect to be blasted by some who wish they had the talent you did. I bet if you had lied and sent that in as an audio clip that you aquired of Virgil practicing, they'd all be going nuts by now.

Anyway, as an artist, you CANNOT let this garbage bother you. Some of it will always spill from the can... I for one loved what you did. I've been playing drums for 37 years and I can say without any reservation that you inspire me!

I viewed the one clip. the clip was what it was. I figured you didn't groove because you probably didn't want to, plain and simple. I made no pre assumptions that you couldn't. I'm assuming you did just what you wanted to do at that given time. There is no way me or anyone else can judge your overall playing ability as a drummer on THAT one single clip. It was all good with me...

Maybe a few of these ridiculing know it alls can show you what THEY'RE workin' with.... though I doubt it.

Keep up the great work nevesis!

Don.


Thank you Don for understanding.

For anyone who posted negative judgemental things that were not constructive (you know who you are) take some advice from D Slam's post because he is dead on right.

Pieces of **** like slamnovalis are just jealous smear merchants who like to judge people because of their own insecurities whether it be in everyday life or on the drums. Your hatred toward me just fuels me to practice and become better.

Thank you D Slam for being one of very few who actually understand and do not judge my playing based on a few clips.

D. Slam 09-08-2004 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis
Thank you Don for understanding.

For anyone who posted negative judgemental things that were not constructive (you know who you are) take some advice from D Slam's post because he is dead on right.

Pieces of **** like slamnovalis are just jealous smear merchants who like to judge people because of their own insecurities whether it be in everyday life or on the drums. Your hatred toward me just fuels me to practice and become better.

Thank you D Slam for being one of very few who actually understand and do not judge my playing based on a few clips.


No problem nevesis. Let me give you just a bit more advice. 1. Stay humble. God resists the proud but exalts the humble at heart. 2. Try not to harbor anger, It's not good for you or your drumming. 3. You have nothing to prove to ANYONE but yourself. Practice and play because that's what you love to do. Remember, doing something for the RIGHT reason will make it right. The proof will be in the pudding.

I just checked out your other clips a few hours ago for the first time... Very nice! You have technique and control far beyond your years and that scares some people.... Hang in bruh!

Don.

kirk 09-08-2004 02:51 PM

So D Slam are you saying EVERYONE that gave feedback (which was asked for) is malicious and their comments garbage. The point again has nothing to do with one or 2 video clips or whether it was soloing or not. I say again if someone posts clips(again band context, solo, chops galore or not) and ask's for feedback, are they being sincere or are they just looking for a pat on the back. I said before SOME just like to reply with sarcasm and no real input and they just need to keep their remarks to themselves, but some replied back with VALID feedback, again which was asked for.

I get sick and tired of certain guy's who jump on here and do not seem to read the posts then they jump to conclusions and lump everyone in the same category. Take time and read each post carefully than reply back to a SPECIFIC post. Do not make blanket statements. I fail to see where everyone is making the same points.

Again if someone posts and ASKS for feedback than expect to get it. That which validates obvious strengths and also points out where someone might need to grow. DO NOT post if you do not want feedback simple as that. I have seen where their have been MANY who have praised Nevesis and others for their abilities and have pointed out areas where they need to grow because they were asked. I take time to read EACH post carefully and reply accordingly, it has it's benifits to do it in that fashion. It is amazing where something so simple get's blown out of proportion because SOME on BOTH sides of the fence jump to conclusions and make quick and uninformed statements.

jonberg 09-08-2004 04:25 PM

Totally agree with you Kirk, everyone hasnīt post negative posts, some were constructive! Me personally asked you Nevesis for some groove playing not because you CANīT do, but because I would like to hear it. You should take it as a good sign that people want to hear more from you. AND, like Kirk said, if someone asks for comments, they have to be ready to hear some things that they maybe wonīt like.
/ Jonberg

The_Setite 09-08-2004 05:41 PM

Where is the moderator? Why hasnt this **** been removed? This has nothing to do with drumming and all to do with egos and one upmanship. End this thread now please. This kind of crap destroys message boards and communities. i thought this site would be different.......

Jewelz 09-08-2004 06:52 PM

let it go.
 
Hey i just joined yesterday :) This is one (-) Thread!
Being a sound engineer i thought i'd d/l his video and comment on the MIX!!
That is what he was asking!
As its d/l i'm reading the thread..whoa!
Anyhow, overheads are good, and if you have EQ or HPF and LPF's for the kicks/toms(LPF) and hi's(HPF) then you can tighten the mix. To tighten it up even more employ a expander/Gate. With overheads - when you get them - apply compression. Play around. I'd love mic' and mixing drums.
Jewelz

P.S. nevesis good stuff man ignore all (-) posts don't respond to them ( you probably know now it never works!! just laugh it off )
:D

peterad 09-08-2004 08:40 PM

D.Slam,
have you ever noticed that the greatest drummers all have the ability to blow us away with their talent, yet do so in a tasteful way? God, I wish I had Billy Cobhams hands, especially from "Birds of Fire". I probably never will, so all I can do is appreciate his speed. I do not, however appreciate any song that is played entirely as a drum solo, it gets boring after about 30 seconds. Vinnie, Gadd, Tony Williams and so on made their impact because of their feel and their ability to make the song soud great. Buddy and Williams kept busy time, yes, but never overplayed and took away from the music. Ask any drummer who knows anything, if steve Gadd is known for his deep groove (The Hustle, Chuck E's in Love, Late in the Evening) or his ability to play a 32nd note Paradiddle for 16 straight bars, and the'll all tell you the same thing...its the GROVE. A guy like Evan, if he combines a nice feel with some of those killer fills every now and then, could make a living as a drummer if he wants to.
I'll say it again, Alan Dawson and Gary Chaffee both say (said ) the same thing. As a matter of fact, pick up Gary Chaffees Time Functioning book and on the CD, one of the first thing he says is that playing fast and loud are amongst the least important things. One last thing...heres a PARTIAL list of Alan Dawsons former students...Tony Williams, Terri Lyne Carrington, Steve Smith, Joe LaBarbera, Joe Corsello, Kenwood Dennard, John "J.R." Robinson, Casey Scheuerell, Harvey Mason, Vinnie Colaiuta, Keith Copeland, Jake Hanna, Bobby Ward, Akira Tana just to name a few.

kirk 09-08-2004 11:11 PM

Hey for all of you who do not like the posts, just stay off the darn board and quit complaining. Someone asked for feedback and it is being given. Quit the Holier than thou comments. There is actually very good debate going on. If you do not like it go read something else, no one is forcing anybody to read what is here.

D. Slam 09-09-2004 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
So D Slam are you saying EVERYONE that gave feedback (which was asked for) is malicious and their comments garbage. The point again has nothing to do with one or 2 video clips or whether it was soloing or not. I say again if someone posts clips(again band context, solo, chops galore or not) and ask's for feedback, are they being sincere or are they just looking for a pat on the back. I said before SOME just like to reply with sarcasm and no real input and they just need to keep their remarks to themselves, but some replied back with VALID feedback, again which was asked for.

I get sick and tired of certain guy's who jump on here and do not seem to read the posts then they jump to conclusions and lump everyone in the same category. Take time and read each post carefully than reply back to a SPECIFIC post. Do not make blanket statements. I fail to see where everyone is making the same points.

Again if someone posts and ASKS for feedback than expect to get it. That which validates obvious strengths and also points out where someone might need to grow. DO NOT post if you do not want feedback simple as that. I have seen where their have been MANY who have praised Nevesis and others for their abilities and have pointed out areas where they need to grow because they were asked. I take time to read EACH post carefully and reply accordingly, it has it's benifits to do it in that fashion. It is amazing where something so simple get's blown out of proportion because SOME on BOTH sides of the fence jump to conclusions and make quick and uninformed statements.


Kirk,

Those who posted the negative posts know who they are... You read them and you also know who they are. Senselessly cutting someone's talent to shreds for no aparent reason is not constructive critizism or healthy feedback. Obviously, if you were one of the ones that DID NOT imply such a post, then I wasn't referring to you...... Make sense?

You may want to take a closer look at who's doing the conclusive, catergorial "lumping" here, and making the "quick uninformed statements".

Got mirrors?!

Don.

D. Slam 09-09-2004 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
Hey for all of you who do not like the posts, just stay off the darn board and quit complaining. Someone asked for feedback and it is being given. Quit the Holier than thou comments. There is actually very good debate going on. If you do not like it go read something else, no one is forcing anybody to read what is here.


Hi Kirk,

Did you not like my post? If not, you might want to take your own advice...

Make sense?

Don.

D. Slam 09-09-2004 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterad
D.Slam,
have you ever noticed that the greatest drummers all have the ability to blow us away with their talent, yet do so in a tasteful way? God, I wish I had Billy Cobhams hands, especially from "Birds of Fire". I probably never will, so all I can do is appreciate his speed. I do not, however appreciate any song that is played entirely as a drum solo, it gets boring after about 30 seconds. Vinnie, Gadd, Tony Williams and so on made their impact because of their feel and their ability to make the song soud great. Buddy and Williams kept busy time, yes, but never overplayed and took away from the music. Ask any drummer who knows anything, if steve Gadd is known for his deep groove (The Hustle, Chuck E's in Love, Late in the Evening) or his ability to play a 32nd note Paradiddle for 16 straight bars, and the'll all tell you the same thing...its the GROVE. A guy like Evan, if he combines a nice feel with some of those killer fills every now and then, could make a living as a drummer if he wants to.
I'll say it again, Alan Dawson and Gary Chaffee both say (said ) the same thing. As a matter of fact, pick up Gary Chaffees Time Functioning book and on the CD, one of the first thing he says is that playing fast and loud are amongst the least important things. One last thing...heres a PARTIAL list of Alan Dawsons former students...Tony Williams, Terri Lyne Carrington, Steve Smith, Joe LaBarbera, Joe Corsello, Kenwood Dennard, John "J.R." Robinson, Casey Scheuerell, Harvey Mason, Vinnie Colaiuta, Keith Copeland, Jake Hanna, Bobby Ward, Akira Tana just to name a few.


Hi peterad,

How are you? Much of what you say makes a lot of sense and I hear you loud and clear.

My point is this: You wrote: "The FIRST thing they both told me is that speed and power mean nothing,"

What I'm saying is Speed and Power mean a lot when you want or need to be fast and powerful. Do you suggest that speed and power does not play a major role in Virgil's playing? Would ANYONE here dare deny that those are two of his strongest drumming traits among the many others?

Whether you like the music or not, without speed and power, we wouldn't have metal, thrash, fusion or even some forms of rock n roll. These are two characteristics that make these styles of music what they are. Mahavishnu, Return To Forever Were not bands where the drummers that played in them could totally finesse their way through the music. The two formentioned attributes used by these drummers ABSOLUTELY played a major role in making those bands what they were musically.

Speed and power surely is NOT the complete package by any means. But to make the statement that they "mean nothing" is just WAY, WAY over the top. It just doesn't hold water. Just because someone legendary said it doesn't necessarily make it so.

NOW, if you want to talk about using speed and power in a tasteful way, then that's a whole different subject.

Don.

D. Slam 09-09-2004 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Setite
Where is the moderator? Why hasnt this **** been removed? This has nothing to do with drumming and all to do with egos and one upmanship. End this thread now please. This kind of crap destroys message boards and communities. i thought this site would be different.......


Hi Setite,

People are going to disagree, just like you just did. That's just the way we humans are. Things have not gotten to the point where the subject matter needs to be censored...

I think it has a lot more to do with ego... There's nothing wrong with taking some pride in your accomplishments. Nevesis was eager to share a piece of his talent and skill with us and some tore into him like he'd just murdered a family member.

The first one he simply laughed off: "my eight year old can play that". Then someone actually said that he didn't send in any grooves because he couldn't groove.

And this one: "Automatically assuming that since someone really finds your playing to be rather tasteless and lacking of the most important thing, the groove (and no, not your used-up 1+a 2+a on the hi-hat/ride, 1's and the last 16th note of ever four quarters on the bass drum, and ghost/grace notes on your snare)." Telling him he's ripping off Dennis Chambers. Hey, the way I look at it if that's the case, at least he's able to do it!

But I ask you, would you call this constructive? Who needs that kind of "feedback"?

He posted those clips in good faith I'm sure, not realizing some would attempt to tear him a new relief valve. I'll admit, I didn't like some of Nev's reactive comments but I understand that he was hurt and angered. EMPATHY! There's not enough of it! How would you like it if you shared a clip of your playing with your peers and some of them let you have it like that?

Why don't some of you send in a little sumpn, sumpn and see what kind of reaction you get?

Don.

P.S. If the eight year old comment was meant as simply a poke in fun, then I apologize to you.

P.P.S. Another thing, In referrence to Virgils premium material, how on Gods green earth can you tell some one they shouldn't be selling drugs, and then turn around and buy some from them? :confused:

kirk 09-09-2004 09:26 AM

D Slam, my comment about people complaining(the last comment) was not to you, make sense? Might want to know who I was talking to before assuming I was refering to you. And you did not specify when you you said that the comments were garbage and malicious. You made a blanket statement. You did not say SOME or a FEW were making the comments but that THE comments were Junk period. Your post was written in a very "lumping" everone together tone. But I believeyour sincerity 100% when saying it was not made to everyone in general. :D Again most guy's on here are sincere and helpful and do not have a problem heaping out praise, but WHEN asked they also will give HELPFUL critique. And I was also quick to point out that sarcasm and being nasty for the sake of just doing it to make someone feel bad is not NEEDED on the board.

I have been on this board from the beginning, were talking back in the 90's and have always come against malicious behavior consistently. I belong to a few other GREAT boards and guy's are always posting their work and asking for critique and it is always given AND received in a proper manner, and this board is for the most part the same. MOST here are wonderful guy's who are quick to help out with info, give positive feedback, help critique in a positive manner, share and give their music freely to others etc. And by the way you have made some great posts in the past, very insightful ;)

Take Care Kirk

D. Slam 09-09-2004 10:59 AM

;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
D Slam, my comment about people complaining(the last comment) was not to you, make sense? Might want to know who I was talking to before assuming I was refering to you. And you did not specify when you you said that the comments were garbage and malicious. You made a blanket statement. You did not say SOME or a FEW were making the comments but that THE comments were Junk period. Your post was written in a very "lumping" everone together tone. But I believeyour sincerity 100% when saying it was not made to everyone in general. :D Again most guy's on here are sincere and helpful and do not have a problem heaping out praise, but WHEN asked they also will give HELPFUL critique. And I was also quick to point out that sarcasm and being nasty for the sake of just doing it to make someone feel bad is not NEEDED on the board.

I have been on this board from the beginning, were talking back in the 90's and have always come against malicious behavior consistently. I belong to a few other GREAT boards and guy's are always posting their work and asking for critique and it is always given AND received in a proper manner, and this board is for the most part the same. MOST here are wonderful guy's who are quick to help out with info, give positive feedback, help critique in a positive manner, share and give their music freely to others etc. And by the way you have made some great posts in the past, very insightful ;)

Take Care Kirk


Hi Kirk,

Yes, that does make sense. For any misunderstanding on my part concerning what you wrote, I apologize. I probably should have been more specific. I do understand how you could have taken it as a blanket statement, though I surely didn't mean it that way. 95% of the folks that post here I think are great including yourself. It's up to that majority to keep this forum clean and fair.

You da man Kirk. :cool:

Don.

D.W.A. 09-09-2004 03:14 PM

i think i speak for kirk and a few others when i say this: i dont know nevesis personally.......but ive been on this site and ive cruzed around pearl's forums a bit. nevesis comes off as being a cocky ass big head.which........everyone has their own personalitys. but to must people...they dont like that.......especially when the persons able to play the same stuff.......if not more........im sure we all like nevesis's drumming........i pearsonally like his kick speed..and wondering if he can pull off doubles(i know i barely can ). but being cool says a lot too...being humble. if you know your good....why say''i know im good''.personally when someone asks if im good.............i dunno what to say.and am somewhat embarrased, and just tell them ''i leave that to the listener''.i agree.their is probrably kids on these forums...that just like to start ****....but some of your comebacks to comments,nevesis, reminded me of such.i dunno.maybe its a new york thing.............but being cocky..usually breeds bad comments......and to taking more time in finding the ''bad parts'' of the material you submitted. heres a compareson (may not be a good one.but try to see my point)............its like seeing a hot chick.....and meeting her..........and finding out shes a *****.......kind of takes away her looks doesnt it.

D. Slam 09-09-2004 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W.A.
i think i speak for kirk and a few others when i say this: i dont know nevesis personally.......but ive been on this site and ive cruzed around pearl's forums a bit. nevesis comes off as being a cocky ass big head.which........everyone has their own personalitys. but to must people...they dont like that.......especially when the persons able to play the same stuff.......if not more........im sure we all like nevesis's drumming........i pearsonally like his kick speed..and wondering if he can pull off doubles(i know i barely can ). but being cool says a lot too...being humble. if you know your good....why say''i know im good''.personally when someone asks if im good.............i dunno what to say.and am somewhat embarrased, and just tell them ''i leave that to the listener''.i agree.their is probrably kids on these forums...that just like to start ****....but some of your comebacks to comments,nevesis, reminded me of such.i dunno.maybe its a new york thing.............but being cocky..usually breeds bad comments......and to taking more time in finding the ''bad parts'' of the material you submitted. heres a compareson (may not be a good one.but try to see my point)............its like seeing a hot chick.....and meeting her..........and finding out shes a *****.......kind of takes away her looks doesnt it.


D.W.A. I know exactly what you mean and I understand you. I just met and talked to Nev yesterday. I cannot make a assesment of the man's character in such a short time. So I will not judge him. I did catch a bit of that cockiness from him... BUT!!! (Big but here) I do understand that much of that came from being on the defensive and feeling that some here were attempting to tear him down. He didn't come in on his opening post as being cocky, so why wasn't he at least given the benefit of the doubt?

As you all know, I tried calming him a bit and I told him to remain humble. I've been doing this a really long time and believe me, I can hold my own. That's not bragging either, I've put in the work for 37 years and still am to this very day. In fact, I'm working much harder now, to be the best that I can. Blood, sweat, heartache and many broken drumsticks. I know where I stand no matter what anyone says... If I know I've performed badly, no number of compliments in the universe can convince me otherwise.

I've also been around long enough to realize that there is and ALWAYS will be someone, somewhere that's better than I am. This deal is a life long lesson and none of us will ever learn it all in our earthly lifetime. But, that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't try. All we can do is work to be the best that WE can be. There can be no regrets in that.

Things will change with all of you as you get older, things will change with Nev. In my younger years, I flexed my muscles too! I still do from time to time. make no mistake about it, the ole' boy's still got a few tricks up his sleeve. :D But I know where I stand at the moment, and I'm just trying to contribute what I can from behind the drumset and try to have some fun while doing it. And in the process, learn from all of you what I can.

I've outgrown the ego trips a long time ago and so will many of you, or die miserable.

All the best folks,

Don.

P.S. in case any of you are curious, I'm 47.

PolyOstinato 09-09-2004 08:26 PM

Nicely put Kirk, D.Slam and D.W.A.!

Fatcontroller 09-13-2004 03:00 PM

WHOOOOOAAAAA. You folks need to chill out. Evan, you can't just go off your head because people give you criticism. I don't think this place was set up to allow drummers to ***** at each other as to whose better. Thats just petty pointless. Slamnovalis, Evan obviously takes his drumming seriously so try to use tact.

Any way, all spitefulness aside, any chance we could have a civilized conversation? We are all obviously still learning as are all drummers. The minute you think you know it all is when you fall flat on your face.

Hence I would like to actually get in contact with both of you and maybe we can all learn from each other. Lets not act like guitarists here. Share the knowledge like virgil and all the other greats.

drop me a line if you want some info.

D. Slam 09-13-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcontroller
WHOOOOOAAAAA. You folks need to chill out. Evan, you can't just go off your head because people give you criticism. I don't think this place was set up to allow drummers to ***** at each other as to whose better. Thats just petty pointless. Slamnovalis, Evan obviously takes his drumming seriously so try to use tact.

Any way, all spitefulness aside, any chance we could have a civilized conversation? We are all obviously still learning as are all drummers. The minute you think you know it all is when you fall flat on your face.

Hence I would like to actually get in contact with both of you and maybe we can all learn from each other. Lets not act like guitarists here. Share the knowledge like virgil and all the other greats.

drop me a line if you want some info.


"any chance we could have a civilized conversation? We are all obviously still learning as are all drummers. The minute you think you know it all is when you fall flat on your face."

I think that's a great idea Fatcontroller! Probably the best way to do that is let what happened and what was said a week ago fizzle and die and move on to more productive subjects.

To continue to bring this stuff up at this point is just beating a dead horse, I feel.

Don.

vdreignsuponus1 09-13-2004 04:27 PM

yeah, ive been ignoring this thread for quite some time. i couldve sworn it ended a while ago. but then i look at it and ppl r STILL posting this crap!

come on guys! give it a rest! we're all musicians here! lets just respect each other a move along!

nevesis 09-13-2004 06:13 PM

Trust me I wish people would stop posting too! Its done with, and over.

New better clips will be put up soon putting all the haters to rest.

This never got out of control because of criticism toward me, it started out by people attacking what I could and couldnt do without ever having seen me play or know my full ability.

D.W.A. 09-13-2004 09:14 PM

what about us all (or whoevers intrested)....get on yahoo......trade some licks and what not..........at least its live and has voice ;)

alencore 09-15-2004 11:58 AM

nevesis is awesome!!! god the kid has well oiled limbs. may be even chambers and donati will get their heads shaking if they get to view his vids. and i'm totally sure with such amazing chops comes deeper grooving ability. he did play some few bars of my favorite half time shuffle groove. i wonder how many gf or groupies you have so far nevs...hahaha..heard them screaming on the other vid...LOL!

just don't share those precious premium files again ok. just share them exclusively to me...HAHAHA!!!

vdreignsuponus1 09-15-2004 12:03 PM

what?! premium files?! i wanna see!!!!!!!:D or is this something ive already seen?

D.W.A. 09-15-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alencore
nevesis is awesome!!! god the kid has well oiled limbs. may be even chambers and donati will get their heads shaking if they get to view his vids. and i'm totally sure with such amazing chops comes deeper grooving ability. he did play some few bars of my favorite half time shuffle groove. i wonder how many gf or groupies you have so far nevs...hahaha..heard them screaming on the other vid...LOL!

just don't share those precious premium files again ok. just share them exclusively to me...HAHAHA!!!

better hope he doesnt back up man...........someone will have to preform surgery lol...........j/k

alencore 09-15-2004 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdreignsuponus1
what?! premium files?! i wanna see!!!!!!!:D or is this something ive already seen?

naughty naughty vd!...hehe. seriously, i won't dl them if ever someone do post them again on other forums or sites. you know it's our way of respect to THE MAN.

@DWA...well, i'm sure those premium files are already roaming around the net. it's tempting to get them but i won't. i'll just dl porn...HAHAHA!

wcm_ambas 09-17-2004 11:06 AM

common guys!! we should respect each other, nevesis is cool!!! he works very hard just to reach that ability, and then there you are criticizing the man, that's not good men, we need to respect each other here specially in our own opinions, we're drummers. hope these thread will gonna end.

alencore 09-17-2004 05:22 PM

no, war is good business...ngek?!

Drumblast 09-17-2004 11:27 PM

Hey Nev
 
Hey Nev,

I DL a couple of clips, and I think you rock. I heard some nice grooves mixed in a bit, it would be nice to stay with them a bit more for the common man.
I read some of your responses, you're in your early twenties, that pretty much sums that up.

Get in a good band. Record some decent music. Don't spend too much time soloing, spend time writing some tunes with your mates. You will always be able to solo.

Also, try to work up some "song" solos, ala Grant Collins.

Anyway keep up the good work. More people will see you play with a band, than wanking drum solos by yourself. :D


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.