Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Axis-A Longboard Pedal (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=100)

Tommy G. 11-14-2003 06:00 PM

I hear you on the doubles. Those are my pure "raw speed" numbers just for my own satisfaction. It's hard to keep that up for more than a minute. Obviously you have to take the long double stroke rolling technique and chop it up into smaller bits like 3,5,7,9, 17 anyone? And don't forget triplets!!! You can get some amazing grooves happening if you think outside the bun!

peter 11-14-2003 06:14 PM

These double-stroke rolls
are comprised of doubles
on each kick.

Use those pairs as much
as possible, introducing
everything you can with
them, so they'll get better
and better.

I know you will. :)

Tommy G. 12-02-2003 08:49 PM

Axis Longboard and beater buzz

Hi Peter!
Happy belated Thanksgiving!
I had to start this thread because for some reason the regular Axis thread wasn't accepting my replies. What a pain!
I'm getting my Longboard hi hat tomorrow. I'll fill you in if I get the friggin' posts working. Anyway I am getting an annoying buzz from the beater producing a slight secondary hit after the primary stroke. I am not a bury the beater in the head type of player. I tried tightening the resonant head a bit and it helped but not 100 percent. The problem goes away when I use the part of the pedalboard just below the top of Axis logo. I personally find the part of the pedalboard where it makes a right hand turn towards the center to be more comfortable no matter what the spring tension or VDL is set to. Right now my beater is the Pearl quad using the hard surface, 5 1/2 inches back from the head and almost at full height. The spring tension is low. A medium tension doesn't do a thing. If I bring the beater back more I fear my doubles will suffer. I use Evans EMAD heads with DW ebony (remo) resonants with 6 dime sized holes in them. What do you think?

Tom

peter 12-02-2003 09:51 PM

Tom,

Were you always getting this
buzz/extra-action?

It sounds like you're heel-up,
with only a small portion of
your foot on the footboard to
steady it, after the stroke.

Try keeping more of your foot
on the board for the doubles.
One way to try is having your
heel totally off the board and
touching the ground. I know
this sounds crazy but try it.

I think you will need to either
loosen the spring or bring the
beater closer to the head and
tightening it.

Darrell suggested pulling the
beater way back, using the
Sonic Hammers (SH's), the up-
per portion set forward almost
as far as it can go for compen-
sation. He believes this is the
ultimate whip-action.

Remember that the VDL pulls
the beater back the most when
it is set closest to you.

Try these ideas and get back to
me straight-away.

Tommy G. 12-04-2003 05:06 AM

z

Hi Peter!
I tried increasing the spring tension to about 3/4 full. This seems to have worked so far. The beater is about an inch and a half from the head when I am resting my feet on the pedals (heel down). It's a little more work but I haven't lost that much speed. The VDL is about 1/2 inch back from the full forward position. I read on the Pearl website about their suggestions for pedal adjustments. They suggested starting out with the beater 4 inches from the head with your feet in the resting position. Do you think that's a bit much? I wonder if I should pull the beater back more and lighten up the spring tension to compensate. It definitely looks like the distance from the head in the resting position (feet on pedals) is key. I've always been used to a very light pedal feel. Maybe I'll have to adjust a little. I did not get my Longboard Hi Hat yesterday so it HAS to be today. For reference - how far back is your beater when you rest your feet on the pedals?
On a side note I scored a 979 on the Drumometer 2 weeks ago. My goal is 1000.
Thanks P.

Tom

peter 12-04-2003 05:59 AM

OK, Tom. Sounds like you're
getting to the bottom of it. ;)

In answer to your question,
it depends. When I'm double-
stroking, I'd say 5-inches.

When I am playing during the
tune, heel-down (usually), it's
about 2-4 inches.

Now, when I'm on the Axis-A,
I have usually been heel-down
and with about 4-inches.

For double-stroking, I have
found that the best VDL set-
ting is 75%-100% towards
you. You can compensate for
this with looser spring tension,
if you need to.

Keep up the good work. :)

Tommy G. 12-04-2003 08:12 PM

z

Hi Peter.
I was in the "LAB" today experimenting a bit. I tried setting the beaters way back to about 7 inches to 8 inches. Great stroke but too much distance to travel. I think I am moving towards a 5 1/2 inch distance from the head and a slight pullback on the VDL. I was having some trouble re-setting the beater angle (and footboard height) to try and start from scratch. The hex screws that go into the axle rod can cause indentations or burrs. I had one beater at 5 1/4 inches and the other was at 5 1/2. I was trying to get the 5 1/2 adjusted and no matter what or how careful I was every time I tightened the set screws the thing would drop in to one of those indentations. I spoke with Darrell at Axis and he informed me that you can sand those down and start fresh again. Just curious - have you ever shredded the New Breed books - I & II? They are fantastic. My bread and butter. I have been through both in their entirety. Gary Chester knew what he was doing. This guy wasn't on 15,000 recordings for nothing. Check them out if you haven't done so already. No Hi Hat today either. UPS must be busy with the holidays. I also purchased the Axis super clutch where you can tillt the TOP cymbal as well! This should be cool with my angled Drumframe setup.

Tom

peter 12-05-2003 04:13 AM

Tom,

Hmm. Interesting. I suggested to
Darrell that he seriously consider
the Uni-Clamps that are being used
by Yamaha and Pearl for beater
distance setting.

If you set up your beaters back,
remember that you MUST use the
SH's (Sonic Hammers) to compen-
sate for that added distance. It's
also possible that we'll need a
lower gauge spring.

I haven't checked that (G. Chester)
out, Tom but will in the future.

Stay with it, man! :)

Tommy G. 12-05-2003 04:35 AM

I also suggested to Darrell about using those same uniclamps! Let's face it - they are a lot less cumbersome. I also suggested incorporating bolts you can tighten with a drum key instead of using allen wrenches. That would be another added bonus.

Tom

peter 12-05-2003 04:48 AM

You got it, Tom!

Tommy G. 12-06-2003 05:46 AM

It's finally here!!!! Merry Christmas to ME!
The longboard hihat is great! The only complaint I have is when using two bass drums the hihat (no matter which brand) is always an inch or two closer and never alighned perfectly with the left bass pedal. I need to come up with a design for that. The action is great and what really is nice is the Axis super clutch. My "chic" from my 13" K over Z hats is much more crisp and louder than with the Tama iron cobra. The bottom cymbal sits on just 3 small points of contact as well as the top one. No big felt washers or constricting felt clutches. Plus - the bottom and top cymbals can be tilted independently of each other - very cool! And one last nice feature - the hi hat stand itself can be tilted to accomodate your personal setup - without changing the footboard angle. Speaking of footboard angles - it would be nice to reduce the angle of the hi hat pedal board just a bit to match my pedals - but not by raising the heel end. I just may put a spacer on the bass pedals to raise it up to the hi hat level. this obviuosly makes it easier to play both bass and hi hat at the same time. I think I'll go into business for myself and take care of all these problems with my own inventions!!! Why are these details never thought out ahead of time? We are in the middle of a blizzard out here in Connecticut today - expecting 8 to 10 inches of snow.
Great day to stay in and practice!

Tom

peter 12-06-2003 06:56 AM

Go for it, Tom! :)

Brobjer 12-09-2003 10:30 PM

I am thinking of buying an Axis X2 doublepedal and was wondering some stuff about it.
Is this pedal a good allround pedal or is it only made for fast playing? Which beaters are the best; the "normal" or the beaters with a 90 degree angle towards the head?
I now have an Eliminator and is it really worth changing?

Thanks!
Brobjer

Tommy G. 12-13-2003 06:07 PM

Have you been reading our posts!!!!!?????
Forget about the x's! The A Longboards are the way to go - period!

peter 12-13-2003 06:29 PM

We have written a book on the
Axis-A. Tom is right. Read all the
posts. It'll be worth your time. :)