Virgil Donati Messageboard

Virgil Donati Messageboard (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/index.php)
-   Tips and Techniques (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Axis-A Longboard Pedal (http://www.virgildonati.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=100)

peter 10-10-2003 10:17 AM

Tom,

You should have contacted me.
Those are decent prices, though.

You must have tried them.

What did you think?

peter 10-10-2003 10:50 AM

Darrell (Axis) told me not
to be shy about using the
Allen wrench and moving
that beater back. Be inquis-
itive, Tom. Let me know
how you progress with 'em.

Tommy G. 10-11-2003 09:43 PM

I haven't tried them at all. I'm just basically going for it. I went with the silver instead of classic black.

T.

peter 10-14-2003 07:14 AM

Tommy,

When you get them, just be prepared
for a radical difference. At first, it may
not seem right but let's chat, then. I
have worked extensively with this ped-
al, whose design is superior.

Let me know when you get them, OK?

Check out this re-recording I did of
this tune, with the Eliminator Blue-Cam:

www.thediametrixletter.com/mambonights9.mp3

www.thediametrixletter.com/dogpoops20.mp3

Tommy G. 10-15-2003 08:56 PM

Peter,
I should have them in 2 to 3 weeks. I will definitely let you know when I pick them up.

Tom

Tommy G. 10-31-2003 06:39 PM

Peter,
Going to pick up my longboards tomorrow. Should be toying with them by Saturday afternoon. The spacer kits are coming next week.
What's new?

I'll keep you posted.

Tom

peter 10-31-2003 07:59 PM

Great, Tom. When you set them
up, be real patient and let's talk
about your approach to them
exhaustively. Try and review this
thread too. I have talked a lot
about them. Congratulations!

Tommy G. 11-01-2003 01:34 PM

Hey Peter!
Just got the pedals set up and only 5 minutes in I can already tell these things are fantastic! Doubles no problem. Tons smoother and quieter with more leverage than the Pearls by far. The VDL is really cool! These are great! Plenty of time to tweak but I don't have to do too much. The spacers should prove to be interesting when I receive them. Excellent response already as is. Talk to you soon.

Tom

peter 11-01-2003 04:24 PM

I knew you would love them!

Tommy G. 11-03-2003 08:54 PM

Hey Peter!
These pedals are so good I am getting the Longboard Hi Hat stand. These pedals are so accurate. I have them both in phase with each other. I'm currently working the Extreme Interdependence book by Marco Minnemann. With his systems I alternate the left foot - making sure I can do it on the left bass drum pedal as well as the hihat - which sounds totally different. When I am playing both bass drums together sometimes their is some flamming going on which I have corrected quite a bit with the Eliminators. After using these A Longboards for only 2 days my flamming is almost gone!! Sweet! I have my Pearl beaters 5.5 inches back from the head, medium spring tension, and the VDL is about 3/8 of an inch from the very top position
I'll be trying the sonic hammers shortly. I didn't like them before with the Pearls because they were too heavy. Maybe the Lonboards can give me more leverage - I'll let you know. One thing I can predict - 16th notes at 220 bpm will be history after I practice on these for a bit.

Talk to you soon.

Tom

peter 11-03-2003 09:19 PM

Tom,

Great news!

The Hammers still may be heavy, UNLESS
you use your Allen wrench to pull back the
original position of the beaters. You will
have to experiment. I did not like them.

I am very happy that you are enjoying
the Axis-A pedals. :)

peter 11-13-2003 07:16 AM

Tom,

Give us a progress report, Tom! :)

peter 11-13-2003 06:16 PM

I set up my Axis-A Longboard
for the first time in two months,
just to see how they stacked
against my Eliminators, which
I have grown to love.

IT FELT BETTER! This pedal is
the top! I have to get another
one sometime!

The pedal is not as versatile,
in terms of ease of change in
the beater angle, HOWEVER
it is "naturally-set" at what ap-
pears to be the best position
and doesn't need much ad-
justment. Amazing design! :)

Tommy G. 11-13-2003 07:11 PM

Hey Guys!
The Longboards are coming along fine. The spacers are on and seem to work fine (2 per pedal). I tried the Sonic Hammers again but I still prefer the Pearl 4 way beater. My doubles are up to 208 bpm - almost there at 220. I'm finding a very light spring tension is working better than a medium tension. You don't need much with the amount of leverage the Longboards offer. The beater is 5.5 inches from the head, almost all the way up. The VDL is still set at about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch back from the full forward positon. I'm loving these - just taking them for very long "walks" lately to get the feel - then running like crazy - wow! As a matter of fact I just posted my tiny review of the Longboards on www.Tigerbill.com. It turns out Tiger has been test driving them for the past couple of months and he thinks they are the cream of the crop as well - PERIOD!!!! I should have my Longboard hihat shortly and I will let you know how that is.

Tom G.

peter 11-13-2003 08:00 PM

I have the SAME beaters, Tom!
I know what you mean! I was
JUST on them. They are SO, SO
sensitive. I'm so relaxed on that
pedal! It's amazing!

I'm eventually going to have to
do it, aren't I? ;)

Remember to use these double-
strokes. Find places for them in
the music. It's not so we can do