PDA

View Full Version : Playing and counting

Grzegorz
04-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Hi everybody!
I was wandering - does Virgil count when he play? I mean if he play some odd time signatures rhytms does he count every part? Is it helpful? I tried to count when I played some rhytms and for me it was quite strange and dificult. I think the better way to play those rhytms is feel it so good you can start improvise with them (do some rhytm stretches, etc.). What do you think?

DoubleBass_Rob
04-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Counting is the best way to develop a sense of time and rhythm, but eventually you start to feel different times and feels.

Wojtek
04-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Liczy, liczy. Nawet na klinice w AM liczył, pamietam to.
- I agree it's good to count!

Cesar
04-26-2004, 09:15 AM
You know,something I realized is that after playing SO many 4/4 grooves all my solos came out in 4/4.So my teacher recommended me to start playing many odd time meter grooves.After awhile It came natural to me to solo in 4/4 or even 21/16! Conclusion:After playing odd time grooves you become confotable with it and naturally you wont have to be couting all the time. But at first yeah, its important to count.

Grzegorz
04-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Liczy, liczy. Nawet na klinice w AM liczył, pamietam to.
- I agree it's good to count!

Hm... Nawet nie pamiętam tego, ale wierzę na słowo:) Wiesz, chodziło mi o to, czy nie-liczenie jest w jakimś stopniu "ujmą" dla perkusisty. Jak osobiście nie liczę, ale gram z metronomem różne dziwne metra i to jest moim takim nieomylnym "licznikiem":)
My situation is similiar to Cesar - I can develope my odd time signatures orientation with playing them for many, many times...

peter
04-26-2004, 12:21 PM
I agree 100% that counting is a great idea.

mgray
04-26-2004, 02:04 PM
When I'm playing in an odd time, or soloing in an odd time, I find that it is often helpful to hum a bass or guitar line in your head that is the same time. It will take some time to develop and get used to, and essentially, counting numbers is the same thing, but some of you may be more comfortable with a tune in your head instead of a bunch of numbers, because that can get confusing, especially with extremely odd times. I learned this from Terry Bozzio when I met him; not only does he put on an excellent clinic performance, but he explains how to play in odd times on almost all of his videos, and how to keep track of your beats when on the kit. I would reccomend all of his videos to you guys, they are very helpful with issues like this. Cheers.

mattdw64
04-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Something I also got from Terry Bozzio and my drum teacher both, is to play an ostinado and learn to solo over that. Start with something simple on the feet. Keep counting and playing that until you are comfortable. Next play simple whole notes over that, then halves, quarters, sixteenths, triplets, and so on. Make sure your comfortable with one before you move on to the next. Count each exersize you do and comfort and feel will come. Peace.