PDA

View Full Version : Drum Help For Dummies.....

Kinetic drummer
04-25-2004, 11:16 PM
HI EVERYONE

i watched nevesis video, and im still shocked. i know this is a forum and we help each other. and... let me tell ya.

I CANT UNDERSTAND NEVESIS FILLS...
orCAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN...??

i asked already to evan to record a video with some of his moves but SLOW
i know its too much to ask, BUT COME ON.. IA M A DRUM DUMMIE
Someone like me agree???

ITS JUST A QUESTION GUYS... believeme.. i feel embarrased writing this.

vdreignsuponus1
04-26-2004, 04:14 AM
dont feel embarassed! the man is damn good. i guess id like to see some of stuff slowed down to make it easier to understand too..:D

Matus
05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Mmmm I'd record that if I could... Perhaps my poor digicam can do it but most of Evan's fills (that I remember from seeing them on mikeportnoy.com) are based on rudiments, sticking patterns and linear phrasing all mixed together. Basically it's a combination of rudiment and sticking patterns (which are very similar in their approach) with bass drum thrown in to add continuity and fill in.
However, most of the time it sounds like... Caothic, so I'd guess he's not really aware of all the possibilities of the sticking concept and how the phrasing can be developed within time signatures, which is the best starting point with all the flashy things he's doing because then it gets all the musicality going.
So to achieve dexterity in that area I'd suggest studying rudiments, applying them to different time signatures, grouping them in odd ways, phrasing all of them over 4, 3, 5, etc. Just experiment with them in a specific manner. Then move onto the Stickings Patterns book by Gary Chaffee. It's the best book written on that issue and provides a lot of useful information and ways to phrase all the patterns explained.
Then I can also suggest Chaffee's Time Functioning Patterns, because it talks about linear phrasing, and then push the envelope a bit further and apply double pedal to it with uneven groups, like throwing 3s or 4s to get the usual patterns more interesting. There's a whole book about Linear Phrasing, btw, also by Chaffee (LOL, i'm not trying to promote him, I just find his books very good and important for certain things).
Hope that was clear...

Kinetic drummer
05-05-2004, 10:42 PM
hi!... thanks a lot matus i will check up gary´s books... then sound DELICIOUS.