PDA

View Full Version : pre-muffled bass heads

Lad.
04-23-2004, 08:15 PM
I was at Zampino's yesterday, and I saw a display for Evan's pre-muffled heads. For those of you who don't know what they are, they have a black ring around the outside of the head where you can slip a ring of foam underneath, cutting down on sympathetic / overtone rings. Now, I thought it sounded pretty damn good for being an un-pillowed drum. It had this really nice full, bold BOOM to it. Now, for those of you in here who know what I'm talking about...do you think this will be good for me? Also, any other suggestions pertaining to this subject?

Lad.
04-23-2004, 08:23 PM
By the way, it's the Evans EMAD system ( Externally Mounted Adjustable Dampening )

Grzegorz
04-24-2004, 04:12 AM
By the way, it's the Evans EMAD system ( Externally Mounted Adjustable Dampening )

I've heard that EMAD's are quite tiny, so they won't live for too long. Because it has 2 mufflers it's universal (but if something universal it's for nothing:) ). I prefer Powerstroke 3. Aquarian Superkick II should be also awesome, but I must try it...

alencore
04-24-2004, 10:46 AM
well, i still prefer padding coz sometimes you just have to remove those padding if the bass drum sounded to weak. much more control to bass drum sound as what i've expereince lately on unmic situations or open area jamming.

Lad.
04-24-2004, 12:28 PM
I have an Aquarian Superkick II (I think), with the same kinda thing generally speaking, and it sounds great! I've heard the EMAD too and it sounds awesome! Dont know how long they last, but the Aquarian is still going and I've had it for over a year.

Just how does the Aquarian sound? Is it too loud? Too cardboard boxy like? or right smack in the middle?

Lucius
04-25-2004, 04:23 AM
They have the Evans head your talking about on a yellow DW kit where I work, man, it sounds BEEFY!! I love it, I just gotta get the guts to pull the money out of my wallet to get it! :) But as far as to how long it lasts, that kit has been set up for a long while, and we get people beating the crap out of it all the time, and the head is still intact and sounding great!

jsuplicki
04-25-2004, 04:17 PM
I use the EMAD system also and I've had it for about 6+ months now and it's still holding up, the muffling that is. I use a bass drum beater disk on my heads to give them more life also. This is with an average of 3 gigs a week with three 1hr sets.
As long as you follow the directions given to you in the EMAD packaging as close as you can, you should have no problem with this holding up for a while. Reading and following the directions carefully is key to the longevity of this system.
I have this on both my Pearl Export and DW kits and it sounds great! My 18x24 DW sounds enormous!
I have also seen an 18x22 DW at my local Guitar Center with the above mentioned Aquarian heads and it also sounded quite amazing. All I have to say is good luck!

shaftninja
04-28-2004, 06:37 PM
I use a coated Powerstroke III, EQ 3 Resonant, Remo Double Falam Slam Pad, and the Evans Gate Resonance System. THAT is a nice bass drum sound. :)

Lad.
04-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Shaft, tell me more about this setup you have. How'd you stumble upon it?

shaftninja
04-29-2004, 08:50 PM
The head combo was just a result of years of experience and experimentation. The Resonance Gate System or whatever added that bit of muffling I needed, and Falam Slams because I go through the EQ Patches like a hot knife through butter!

Lad.
04-29-2004, 10:09 PM
That sounds a-prettypretty good.
I'm personally thinking of EMAD, still.