PDA

View Full Version : I suck !

C.J.
04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Ok guys, here it goes...

I've got an important concert coming up in about a month, so I thought to make sure everything sounds nice, I would tape my band when we reherse... So that's what I did last sunday. So after everybody left, I went to my room an started listening to the tape, and then it hit me in the face : my playing was lame, I swear it sounded like crap. Technically everything was there, the problem is it sounded like I've been playing drums for a week !!! My playing doesn't sound stable, it is as if I was in front, then shifting to behind, then moving on to the beat... It doesn't groove it just sucks big time... I feel like I can't play anymore. I've tried to tape myself again to make sure it was't just a bad day or something, but it's the same ! It gets me so down I don't even feel like playing my drums... I've taped my self in the past and everything was ok, I really do not understand what has hit me, but I just feel like hanging myself !

Has this ever happened to any of you before ? I seriously need help, cause I don't know what to do, and I definitly can not play like that the day of the concert. It would be suicide !!!!

iwishiwasbetter
04-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Dude I know exactly how you feel. It's actually been happening to me a lot lately and when it does I get so frustrated. Just ask my family, I get all depressed and irritable and talk to them for hours about stuff they don't understand about drums. My best advice is to keep at it. Practice your heart out and stay extremely focused on your sound and fine tuning all of your mechanics. You also have to realize that your band doesn't have a problem with your playing so it's not that noticable. I recently went and recorded with a band a couple of weeks ago and played horribly. It was like someone gave sticks to a 4 year old. The week after I struggled through my practice regiment and felt like life wasn't worth living for the entire time. But then I started looking closely at the mistakes and started looking at the problems as steps forward instead of my inability as a player. With some luck I had another chance to record because the tracks got erased. I went in with a good attitude and a lot of practice under my belt and did pretty well.

I know this is a long post and I don't know how much you will take out of it but just try to stick with it and work at it. Like Danny Carey says," There is no substitute for hard work."

iwishiwasbetter
04-21-2004, 12:00 PM
I really need to keep all of my ideas in one post... but try working with a metronome if timing is the problem. Also you could be psyching yourself out with the recording. I know I've done stuff like that where in the back of my mind I keep thinking that "this is going to come out like shit...i suck" kind of thing and it happens. I guess optimism is key, which totally sucks because i'm pretty pessimistic. How long have you been playing?

vdreignsuponus1
04-21-2004, 12:30 PM
when u say "suck" pls know that sucking only signafies if u have actually been playing for a week, actually. and if u would, pls post that video. i swear, no one will make fun of u. i sure know i wont. because if something is wrong id really like to help.:)

peter
04-21-2004, 01:23 PM
You don't suck. I do.

Listen... Taping yourself is a whole new reality and THE reality
that is going to take you to the next level.

Tape yourself over and over and play to a click as much as
possible, before the gig. Listen to yourself.

This is a beginning - NOT an end.

:D

vdreignsuponus1
04-21-2004, 01:30 PM
peter's right. i used make tapes of myself quite often. but then id always look at myself while im taping and think of it as if im being timed or i have a spacific part to play or im playing infront of ppl! the camera did all of that to me. therefore, i haven't actually taped myself practicing in a while. and worst of all, i have my first gig on may 12th. my band and i will play two songs for the show. those two songs, i know very well. but i know as soon as i start playing im gonna be sweating bullets!:D im already prepared to experience that, mhm. so anyways, dont let all of this "i suck" nonsense get to ur head. the thing about filming urself is that when YOU watch it, u always notice EVERY single little mistake or problem or something u just feel that u have to fix. but it all changes when someone else watches and says "wow, that's amazing!" u may think it sux, but that's because ur the man in it.:D think about it..:)

C.J.
04-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Wow already 3 posts!! I feel a little less lonely!

So I've been playing for about four years now, my teacher says that I'm getting on well regarding my "little" experience on the drums to a point where he had the crazy idea of sticking me with guys who have been playing for ten years (in my drum school we're 3 in my class)... hell I feel small because of that. :( The good part of the story is that it motivates me to work hard... I'm sorry vdreignsuponus1, it's not video but sound format... So I won't be posting it.

Hey Iwishiwasbetter, that makes the two of us dude ! Me too I'm pretty on the pescimistic side. actually I do work with a metronome, and that makes things worse. The other problem is that, I practice 2 hours a day, I had this workout program that I managed to figure out in order to work a bit of everything... But because of this "groove" problem, I'm spending two hours, playing at 40bpm trying to be precise and trying to groove at 50 bpm playing Rn'B, Blues, and other grooves to fix this shit going on !! It's just obsessive!! I can't get my school work done! It's sick! Geez I never thought drumming could have such a psychological impact on someone... It's amazing how it can take over things, I mean it's supposed to be a pleasure :confused:. Drumming, a sadic matter? LoL

Thanks anyway, for your help I really apreciate it, this is the only place where I can talk about this since no one around me understands my "drum problems" Thanks Donanti.com and all of you of course!

Cheers,
Christopher.

C.J.
04-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I don't understand why you're saying you suck peter ?? I saw your videos even though I could't catch everyting because of the sound quality, I thought it was cool.

peter
04-21-2004, 02:11 PM
CJ,

We're all working on stuff. We're always improving.

I just got some gear to help me do better videos and
I'll be posting what I am working on now.

All this helps us improve. I'm with you and everyone
else. It never ends...

:D

jonberg
04-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi C.J.
Like everyone else, I know what youīre are going through, itīs hard to stay motivated when you think you suck, but really, itīs all about having a positive attitude about it. EVERYBODY feels this sometimes, even Virgil or Vinnie. I know Weckl had a downperiod before he went to this natural evolution process, and look at him now!!
My impression of you is that you are a really serious drummer, and I promise you: That will pay off!! Just keep it up C.J. and you will become a monster drummer!!
/ Jonberg

kirk
04-21-2004, 04:04 PM
I am sure you are doing much better than you think you are C.J. I have felt like that at times, like what the heck am I doing but usually is not nearly as bad as you think it is. What Peter and Jon said is true, keep your head up
and keep on drumminmg ;)

Kirk

quitou
04-21-2004, 04:42 PM
The good thing is that you now know what to work on....to get better at anything, you have to identify weaknesses and then work to correct them...it isn't always flattering when you discover a weakness, but in the end it will make you better...you just have to work at it knowing that in the end you will get better at it....everbody has aspects of their playing that they dislike and that they would like to improve (even the best of them do)....you just gotta keep plugging away....

Lad.
04-21-2004, 09:33 PM
You guys are making me scared...what if I suck? I haven't watched myself on tape in a long time. I haven't heard a recording either. The last recording I heard ( Christmas ) actually made me think I sounded pretty good, but I'll bet if I listen to a recording now, I'll go shoot myself....nah.

alencore
04-22-2004, 11:39 AM
i just fixed my old tapedeck so i can record our rehearsals and shit, oh boy i love the way i sounded........HAHAHAHA!!! my new bass player is like a freakin Jaco on steroids while my new guitar player is still so shy at times. OUr singer ir going nuts to some Christian girl .. woahh..sorry for babbling away...

anyway may be it would be nice if you post your recording to us CJ if ever not yet mentioned. then we'll know whats wrong. just don't give up.

when i'm being recorded i always get a lot more excited to play sa good as i could. listening back to old stuff for sure i might say that suck, that's quite ok and WOW!...i kicked ass on that. so nowdays its the same old feeling again but i do try to play a lot maturer compared that choppy kid way back who can't even sit still without a double pedal.

jemmy
04-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Also, remember that the man himself (i.e., Virgil) says that the best way to become good is to get recorded. So, try to identify the weaknesses that show in the recordings and work on them. But you can't build a house in one day either (as Wynton Marsalis said), so don't expect to "fix" things in two weeks time.

I reckon your (perceived) weakness is placement. Well, I think that of the fundamental things this is the most difficult one to nail. After all, placement is pretty much tied in with your hearing: apparently your placement is off, but you didn't hear that while playing (otherwise you'd have corrected it as you went), so the problem apparently resides within your perception, not so much with your playing.

Practising with a metronome is good, but not for hours at a time and certainly not with one tempo all the time, since you can get "locked in" with that particular tempo. Try to record yourself regularly and try to identify (by playing back) what's going wrong, then try to improve on those things while playing.

I think it's very important to have fun playing (drums), because when you pair fun (or sheer determination) with concentration, you can achieve more than with concentration only. So keep drumming as well as having fun! Good luck with the gig ;)

alencore
04-24-2004, 10:41 AM
I reckon your (perceived) weakness is placement. Well, I think that of the fundamental things this is the most difficult one to nail. After all, placement is pretty much tied in with your hearing: apparently your placement is off, but you didn't hear that while playing (otherwise you'd have corrected it as you went), so the problem apparently resides within your perception, not so much with your playing.

well said bro.

you just have to learn how to place yourself in an audience side as you play within the band. what you play inside the band might sound quite ok but not good in front of the audience or your recorder. its quite tricky to learn that but its something we all have to deal with anyway.

C.J.
04-29-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm really frustrated... I just can't play anymore, and I'm not taking any pleasure doing it at all... I really do not feel like doing the gig either... I just can't touch my drums... I'm really f**ked up !!!

peter
04-29-2004, 03:46 PM
CJ,

What is the thing about your playing that eats
at you the most and let's address that after a
couple of days off? OK?

C.J.
05-01-2004, 02:00 AM
I guess so... :(

alencore
05-01-2004, 08:23 AM
post that recording man! then we'll see whats wrong. just dont give up coz drumming is supposed to be fun. may be you're taking it too seriusly. loosen up and simply drink some beers or kiss your GF first hehe, just do it again man!

look i came back and edit my post coz i really care for you man. just buy a new cymbal or something to get the blood of drumming flowing.

cheers!

vdreignsuponus1
05-01-2004, 09:35 AM
lately, ive been having some bad drumming days myself. the last couple days, ive been shortening my practice to a half an hour! thats about as far as i get b4 i get pissed at myself and stop. i got in an hour yesturday. so evidentally, that little bit of time off has helped me.:D

i really hope u feel better about drumming man. whatever u do, dont let this stop u from doing what u love. and yeah, if u would, pls post that recording.:)

C.J.
05-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Well, we are now wenesday and the gig is friday... I feel a bit better about myself, but still am frustrated, I guess I'll have to wait how it goes...

After a bit of thinking, you guys are probably right, I am taking it seriously... It just really frustates me to not be good enough on the drums, I also find it frustrating to spend 2 hours a day on a drum set and not make very much progress, I just need to get better... but I don't now how. I havent got that much experience on the drums so I still need a lot of help, I don't think my teacher is really helping. I'm in one of the best drum schools in France and I don't feel like I'm going anywhere. I feel like I need a lot of attention when it comes to learning on the drums, because it seems that I can not "hear" all that goes wrong. I don't know... That's what I feel.

I just really want (need) to learn all that I can because I want to express myself through what I feel is one of the only ways I can : through my instrument. But I feel like I can't make it...

Thanks for all your replies, I am very, very gratefull to you all !!!
Cheers ti you all !

Lowlife_Drummer
06-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Pffft dude ive seen peters video and it sounds pretty freakin good if you think you suck you should see me I havent been played long 6 months but my hands and feet arent even coordinated I cant play quarter notes or 8th notes on my high hat and a completey different beat on my bass its pretty depressing accualy and lemme tell you I wanted to see what I sounded like and after hearing it I wanted to cry put down the sticks and give up im not and im not even remotley optimistic.

Lad.
06-17-2004, 12:12 AM
C.J, just so you know, you aren't alone.
Your'e my kind of drummer. You're never happy with your performance. That's good. That'll only drive you to perfect it. However, giving up is NOT the way to do that.
I'd buy a new peice to the drumset, like Alencore said. Trust me, it friggin' works.
Either that, or just look for change.

chrisdrummer75
06-17-2004, 07:11 PM
whats up guys, yeah drumming can completely take over your mind, body and soul. its great! C.J. and the rest of you, i'm sure you've heard the saying that you are your own worst enemy. I remember the first time i heard myself on a recording, i was absolutely horrified. I was very satisfied in my playing at the time (and so was everyone else in the band) but all that changed once i heard myself on tape. Sometimes what you FEEL to be a problem in your playing really isn't as much of a problem when you hear it on tape, but something else that you thought you had nailed really stands out to you to be, well, bad. I started to both record myself so i could hear myself play, but i also videotaped myself and watched myself play. both of these things helped me tremendously in ways i could have never imagined. C.J., let me know how the show went.

Lad.
06-17-2004, 07:26 PM
I think I'm the opposite.
I play in reality, and feel like shit, and then hear a recording and think "holy crap".