PDA

View Full Version : Rapid single strokes!?

Lad.
04-04-2004, 10:14 PM
I know that most of us in here can't get those super-smooth single strokes. Yes, you all know what I'm talking about. If any of you have seen a Tony Royster Jr. drum solo, it's when he just does a straight single stroke roll on his snare, and it's almost like his arms are moving at 500 mph. I'm curious. For those of you in here who are capable of this, how exactly did you take your steps toward being able to do that? The only way I can match that speed on a snare ( or toms for that matter ) is with double strokes or paradiddle-diddles. If I try to do one of those super-smooth single stroke rolls on my snare, it comes out being slightly spaced apart, or dragged, or whatever you may define it as. It comes far from being the nice, rich buzz that it should be. Would practicing on a pillow help? How about improving my bounce, or stick rebound? What if I learned how to master bullet time? Would that help? :D Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to make myself as good at solos as I can for the moment. Until I get a DW 5000 pedal, I want to train my arms to kick some major arse.
-Lad

jimi
04-05-2004, 06:17 AM
The Power Drumming Vid is great for this! Maltbuddow3 is right, don't emphasise speed in your practice, control is the key-word, and before you know it the speed will just appear!:) (NOTE: After some hard work of course:D)

Lad.
04-05-2004, 12:13 PM
The Power Drumming Vid is great for this! Maltbuddow3 is right, don't emphasise speed in your practice, control is the key-word, and before you know it the speed will just appear!:) (NOTE: After some hard work of course:D)

I think you guys are right! I can relate to being able to do them for about 5 seconds or less, and then going to something else because my arms get too tired. I think I'll start doing these stamina excercises. Do you guys think doing it on a pillow would help any? You know, to sort of put weight on the strokes? I'm actually going to try this, because I obviously think that control IS the key in this matter.
Thanks guys!

Lad.
04-05-2004, 07:41 PM
About this power drumming video, do you think it's a good buy? It sounds like a key to a new way at looking at drums to me...what do you guys think? I really want to improve my capabilities, so should I go for it?

Lad.
04-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Guys, I tried it. I did some straight single strokes on a pillow for 20 minute straight at least. After I did that, I thought I was so freaking tired that I could barely move, but I thought I'd jump on my set and go at it a little.
It was like I had new playing ability or something! The heads were much bouncier feeling than they were before. I could move around on them like I had been able to do it the whole time and just never know it. Everything was much more smooth and spaced apart, although I did get a little tired here and there. Do you know what this means? This means I'm going to keep doing it every day until I have those Rapid Single Strokes covered. Thanks guys.

jimi
04-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Yeah, it works all those tiny little muscles really hard, you are doing twice the work because there is no rebound whatsoever! I suggest you get that power drumming vid because this works your whole body to your limit, and then further ...

Lucius
04-06-2004, 04:06 AM
Power Drumming is a MUST HAVE, Id be as slow as a snail without it, I think it's one of the few ways to increase your speed around the kit, seriousy, get it!!

Lad.
04-06-2004, 04:28 AM
So this Power Drumming video is Virgil's video, correct? If so, I'll check it out.

peter
04-06-2004, 11:18 AM
The video will help.

Here's a post from another forum. ('Boomer'
is Billy Cobham.):

There's a lot that's going to be said
and has been said about this inexhaustable
subject - one which always applies and
that is because we all want to get better.
Remember that it's NOT all about speed
and endurance but about control.

If you're concerned about this, chances
are that you can play single and stroke
rolls up to a point with the feeling of
real control. Then, you reach that place
where you start to lose it. You can go on
but only knowing that you are losing the
control over the stick to faster you go.

STOP!

Instead of FAST, think SLOW. While you're
thinking slow, practice slow and emphasizing
those things that became more available,
when you're practicing slower like ACCENTING
and especially on the weak hand.

Working with a metronone or click is a great
idea and don't get me started on this but I
think that you should seriously consider
playing (at least practicing open-handed).
This has done more for my playing, in the
shortest amount of time than anything I
have tried. Like I said, don't get me
started. ;)

The reason is because you're focusing on
your weak hand and remember that the
strength of the chain is in its weakest
link. It's the same for us.

I like Boomer's idea of 'the two telephone
books under your arms, pinched to your side,
a quarter on the pillow, with single and
double-strokes aimed at the center of it' too.

This will build up your forearm and finger
muscles. Rudiments done, with this concentration
will help you a great deal.

Lad.
04-06-2004, 02:17 PM
I like this guy's thinking. Those are all really good ideas.

Lad.
04-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I just previewed a peice from Virgil's Power Drumming video...I like the one called Slaves.
It's got a nice tone to it. What band was he with when he made it?

Lucius
04-07-2004, 05:03 AM
A hard 40 minute workout...! :D

Lad.
04-07-2004, 09:30 AM
He did all the programming himself. That's the part of the video where he shows how he applies power drumming, the first part is a forty minute workout.

So he made that himself huh? Is that actually a song or is it just part of the power drumming video?

jimi
04-08-2004, 12:54 PM
That song was performed with a band Virgil was in called Loose Change, the album is set for a CD release real soon too. The first 2 or 3 songs were composed by Virgil himself, he has been a keyboard player for quite a while, and according to Jeppe, rips on the piano!
Another fav of mine is called 13/16 Vamp, and i asked Virgil to post the backing tracks of some of these songs in the Premium section too (he agreed!:D)
@maltbuddow3: yes it was an understatement! I'm always so enthusiastic about some of these things and always going OTT so i thought i try and calm a little!:)
Yes those 7strokes exercises are SO cool, have you managed to not get all tense by the end of that exercise?? I can't relax doing it yet, and it really tires. I just love that video so much it crazy, so simple, but the results from it after even a week are incalculable!! (is that a word??)

iwishiwasbetter
04-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah that workout is intense. I really love that video but I don't have a vcr located near my drums so I have to take the concepts from the video to the kit... I guess I can't appreciate it as much as you guys :( ...haha. But anyway something cool that is kind of related to the single hand exercises at the beginning is Rod Morgenstein's book Drumset Warmups. I'm only at the beginning but I really like it so far. It's like the stick control book for the drumset.

Lad.
04-18-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm still going with it.
It's so hard to keep both sticks moving so frkn fast! ARGGH!
Plus, my left hand is out of practice.
Any way to get it as mobile as my right?
Will doing things with my left hand more often help?

shaftninja
04-18-2004, 08:41 PM
I don't have a VCR in the woodshed so I just composed my own hands/endurance workout.