PDA

View Full Version : a question for virgil!

mike portnoy
07-18-2003, 11:56 PM
yo virgil! i understand that you jog 30mins everyday... i jog about 30 to 45 mins a day question is do you feel your knees giving way =P I do!!! i simetimes that after my run my knees feel loose!! and im only 25 ARGH!

the other question is does running alone in any way help your double pedaling???

v1rotate
07-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Running probably gives you stamina and endurance for your feet but in terms of co-ordination and actual playing, I'm afraid it's practice. I wish I had 2 right feet instead of 2 left feet!

BTW, your MP3's sound great BK!!!

mike portnoy
07-20-2003, 11:02 PM
thanx!!:D just did a recording yesterdayfor an artiste..also just finished an album...was sessioning for a band...check out their web-site----- www.meltngsnow.com

will send you a copy each, of the albums i've done when im done wirth it. KF can you e-mail me your e-mail address, and your residence in scotland...you know my e-mail address rite??

rythmtroll
07-22-2003, 09:49 AM
ANYTHING THAT STIMULATES MUSCLE AND IS'NT TOO MUCH STRAIN ON THE BODY(or legs in this situation) IS GREAT. WORKING OUT IS NOT THE ENEMY.LOOK AT MR. DONATI. HE'S IN EXELLENT SHAPE BECAUSE HE SWIMS, JOGS, STRETCHES AND EATS JUST RIGHT. WITH EATING RIGHT ITS ALL ABOUT NUTRIENTS AND HOW THE BLOOD DISTRIBUTES THEM THROUGHOUT THE BODY. WORKOUT , TEAR THE MUSCLE DOWN, EAT RIGHT, LET THE NUTRIENTS SUPLLY AND SATURATE THE MUSCLE AND BUILD IT BACK EVEN STRONGER THAN IT WAS BEFORE AND THERE YA GO! ITS A PROCESS THAT VIRGIL KNOWS BEST. OH YEAH!! DRINK GANK LOADS OF WATER. WORK OUT AND GET PLENTY OF REST. EVEN MEDITATE IF YOU WISH TOO. BE RELAXED ON THE KIT. NEVER TENSE UP.SMOOOOOOOOOTH MOTIONS. BREEEEEATH.............IN..&..OUT................20 TIMES.....SLOWLY. FEEL THE DIFFERENCE?. TO ACT AS VIRRRGIL IS TO BEEEE VIRRRGIL.............................. rythmtroll signing out

v1rotate
07-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by rythmtroll
TO ACT AS VIRRRGIL IS TO BEEEE VIRRRGIL.............................. rythmtroll signing out

Even if I do all that Rythmtroll, I still would not be even 5% of what Virgil is....and never will be....lol...:(

rythmtroll
08-21-2003, 05:51 AM
dont compare yourself to one of the best. Thats the totally wrong thing to do. just be yourself and find your style onthe kit. from therre it should be all good.

DavidPartay
08-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Don't EVER say you can't achieve something. If you truly want to, then you will achieve it.

My goal in life is to equal or better Virgil's skills. If I never achieve it, I'll blame it on my lack of commitment.

quitou
08-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Well said DavidPartay...
You gotta dream big...as Mangini says in his Rhythm Knowledge book...if you want to compete with the best, you have to compare yourself to the best...and he also goes on to say that people assume that guys that are better at something just have have more natural talent for it, when really the majority of the time they just worked harder, longer, and smarter...I think, if you wanna play the drums like virg YOU CAN DO IT...it'll take a lifetime of aboslute commitment, but if you really want it and work hard enough, you'll get it...well, that's my pep talk for the day...

Milo Porto
08-22-2003, 01:09 AM
:D :rolleyes: :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

jonberg
08-22-2003, 10:22 AM
I totally agree with you DavidPartay!
My goal with my drumskills is to come to a level when I feel no restrain from lack of technique or with ideas...this is a lifetime process, but if you take a day at the time, work on things that you CANīT do, then suddenly things will start to work.
I mean, itīs all there, the sticks in your hands, your feet on the pedals...itīs all up to yourself to work on it. Discipline, Determination, Dedication, thatīs all there is to it.

Dom Famularo is really great in motivating drummers when he talks about his ideas about this subject I think.

Keep on drumming everyone!!

DRUMVARNA
08-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Hi everybodi!!!!
make every day a fizical practicing,and yoga and your body feel grate!!!!
every morning i start with yoga and after that i make pausi for 2 hours,and after that i started to playng drums for 8 to 10 hours!!!

keep practicing!!!!!!
p.s.how old is Virgil,enybody knows???

best regards
DRUMVARNA!!!!