PDA

View Full Version : Bought me a new hihat, looking for a new ride... tips?

frank
01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey people!

Today I went out and got myself a new hihat, a 14" Paiste Alpha medium hihat! Sounds pretty good, especially if you compare it to my old rusty hihat, which some of you may or may not have heard on our Planet X messageboard musical collaboration. (With a few guys over there, we're planning on recording some things... first thing we're attempting is Pods Of Trance... My drum version was online somewhere for a while...)

Anyway, I'm happy and blablabla, but now I'm also looking for a new ride.

Preferably Paiste, because I now have this hihat, and 16" and 17" Paiste Innovations (discontinued serie) thin crashes. Love the sound of those crashes!

So, does anyone have any tips and hints what I should look into for a ride, and which ones I should avoid? Or perhaps there's somebody reading this who's got a spare ride, mint condition and not expensive? :p

Also, perhaps some insight on prices, because I'm thinking about buying it on a Dutch auction site, but I'm not so confident about the money issue.

Also, any information regarding other brands is very welcome too. It's not that I want a Paiste per se, but I prefer one brand over a cocktail over different brands. :)

Thanks,

Frank

CarpathiasRise
01-26-2009, 02:41 PM
The last one I had was the Sabian Vault ride, I quite liked it.

DavidPartay
01-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm really interested in the Paiste New Signature ride cymbals. I want to check them out, I like the sound of them from the Paiste website. You should check them out!

frank
01-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Thanks David, those do look interesting indeed. Like the sound of them.

frank
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
My GOD, they're expensive! :eek:

DavidPartay
01-27-2009, 11:23 AM
I know :( :( :( I'm in the same boat! The worst thing is, is I want to load myself up with 4 crash cymbals and a ride cymbal!

Also, I don't know if I'll be going for Meinl or Paiste yet because it'll turn out to be one of the two which becomes available to me for better prices and I don't know which one yet.

frank
01-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh man.. why does this have to be so difficult?

Anyway, I deciced to not go with Paiste if this has to be so expensive and made an offer for 185 euro's for a Sabian HHX 20" Evolution ride. Hope this turns out good. :eek:

DavidPartay
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
I hope you've listened to it first!!

You really need to make sure you listen to cast cymbals before you buy them because no two sound the same!

And there are plenty of other cheaper ranges by Paiste - the Alpha and 2002 ranges, of course, and I'm sure some stores may still have some Dimensions or Innovations in stock.

frank
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Well I'm gonna try it out before I'll actually buy it of course, but thanks for the advice.

An Innovations ride would be nice, since my crashes are Innovations'.

DavidPartay
01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I remember listening to a couple of Innovations crashes and loving them. I don't know why they discontinued them, they were great cymbals!

Soya
01-27-2009, 09:20 PM
I had a set of Alpha hats, then some Innovations hats. I just got some Signature Prototype hats :D

The HHX will sound a little washier than the Signature.

Sillyman
01-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Paistes are good. But I stick to Sabian. All my cymbals are sabian except fora 6" A Custom Zildjian splash. Ohhh and I have an old Paiste hi hat as well too which I want to get rid of.

vdreignsuponus1
01-28-2009, 06:56 AM
The Alpha series stuff sounds great for the price. I also think the same thing for most of the XS series stuff from Sabian.

I'm about to put out a few hundred bucks for a Meinl Byzance Dark Ride. I can't enough of its' earthy tone.

Soya
01-28-2009, 06:23 PM
That's funny you say that. I'm lusting after the same cymbal.

frank
01-29-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm about to buy a Sabian HHX Evolution 20" ride for 200 euros, second hand. I've seen pics and it looks in great shape! Hope this works out! I really liked the sounds of it on Sabian's website.

C.J.
01-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Alphas are being used more and more by the metal heads for live situations. They are very interesting cymbals for their range and price!

DavidPartay
01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I remember a while back going into a shop and hitting an 8" Alpha splash, and I just couldn't get the sound out of my mind! AU$80 for a great sounding splash is a fantastic price in Australia. Too bad I didn't buy it :(

C.J.
01-29-2009, 11:17 AM
But are you talking about the old or the new Alphas David? The new ones sound better. 80AU$ is about 40, that's a good price.

frank
01-30-2009, 02:04 AM
How can one tell the difference between old and new lines?
I've done some research on Sabian and Paiste lines but it's all so very confusing.

C.J.
01-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Frank,

Go on to the Paiste website - what you see there are the new Alphas. You can clearly tell the difference since the new ones have a different logo and also look more modern.

You can see the old logo here (http://www.gotterdammerung.org/personal/drums/images/cymbals-ride.jpg) and the new one here (http://www.mitros-music.com/images/products/2862.jpg). That's how you'll tell. Avoid the Black "Joey Jordisson" edition though... No need to go into an explanation with that.

What's confusing you with Sabian? Maybe we can help you out.

DavidPartay
01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it was the older model. I think this was back around 2002 or something around that time. It was the first time I'd ever been to Billy Hyde Drumcraft :)

Ken Kaniff
01-31-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm saving money to get Sabian Hand Hammered Rock Ride 22" nr 12249. I've heard this cymbal and it's the best ride there ever was--that's my personal taste, of course. They say it's has 'warm tone combined with bright bell, for a loud, penetrating ride with character.'

Here's a link (https://www.activemusician.com/item--MC.12249).

I can email you sound sample if you're interested.

Matus
02-03-2009, 06:15 AM
The new Alphas are really something to look at. They re-designed the line, now they're richer in tone and more durable (and better looking!).
As for the Signature and New Signature just be careful with what you're chosing. The Dark Energy's are very complex in tone, specially the Mark IIs. I'm currently using all Signature cymbals with Dark Energy crashes and they're absolutely amazing but they're not for everyone.
First of all, Paiste is much cleaner and sizzling in sound than Zildjian or Sabian. Only the Signature and Twenty series have more of a washier, contemporary sound. For example, Twenty cymbals tend to sound more like a regular K Zil and the Dark Energy crashes kind of sound like a more refined mix of A Custom and K Custom.
Then you get to the realistic part: the price. The signature series is rather expensive and the New Signatures are even higher priced so it depends on the use you're giving them; if you're more of a semi-pro or amateur you can always count on the new Alphas because they're amazing for the price, for me the best mid-line around. If you're really investing on it and going for the pro level the Signature series has a wide range of models and all of them are virtually an artwork in themselves. Just have in mind that Paistes have a more linear response as they increase in weight. For instance, the Dark Energy crashes and rides have a wide utility range, you can hit them softly and they'll open and keep a certain wash but medium crashes are all power and high pitches. Just chose carefully, I for one don't like heavy cymbals for the most part. I'm using the Signature 21" Dark Full Ride and it's amazing in every aspect, maybe a bit open for most rock players but you have a lot more options. Could have gone for the Rythmatist but it wasn't really my cup of tea even though I'm a huge Copeland fan :)

Bowl1986
02-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I got that evolution ride, it's the dave weckl signature model. love it! it's great for rock/fusion but I still prefer my 22" bosphorus ride when it comes to jazz.

frank
02-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys, great insight!