PDA

View Full Version : The Lock Grip

The_Setite
01-26-2004, 03:26 AM
I have just seen an instructional on the "Lock Grip". Anyone have any experience of this technique? How effective did you find it for building power and speed and endurance? I am concerned that it will make my playing stiff. Is this the case?

Lucius
01-26-2004, 04:00 AM
The Lock Grip? Does that just mean grip the stick hard? I dont think it would really make your playing stiff, just give you a lot of wrist power :D

Tdog
01-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Well, I took a masterclass w/ Virgil last year, and he gave us a bunch of hand exercises to play along with him. It was really cool and, of course, intimidating since the class was limited to about five of us. We all had setups consisting of a practice pad as well as a Pearl Eliminator hooked up to a Pearl double bass pad. One of the things Virgil had us do is practice with a "locked grip" in order to maximize the wrist development. The locked grip means basically to hold on with the back fingers and to not allow a space in the fulcrum(thumb and forefinger). We went through triplet accent patterns, double strokes, tap rolls, and paradiddle inversions. I am sure thart this was a very light workout for Virgil, but it kicked our asses for sure! So I hope that helps!! Maybe I can post some of the exercises, if that's cool with Christopher! Later!